IMG_8793 (resized).JPG
IMG_8792 (resized).JPG
IMG_6266 (resized).JPG
IMG_6264 (resized).JPG
IMG_6265 (resized).JPG
IMG_6263 (resized).JPG
IMG_2869 (resized).JPG
IMG_2868 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinFan4Life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

Having trouble with my left side flippers on space invaders after checking all usual suspects including replacing both coils and flipper button leaf switch and cleaning and gapping contacts. I suspect wiring issue on coils between 2 left flippers and/or their EOS switches. If anyone could post under playfield flipper coil close up pics of their upper (smaller) left flipper and lower (larger) left flipper coils that show wiring, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

#4 7 years ago

Bump. Any one have any pics to post of underside of SI playfield showing 4 flipper coils?

IMG_2868 (resized).JPGIMG_2868 (resized).JPG

IMG_2869 (resized).JPGIMG_2869 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Would missing diodes on any of the EOS switches cause this issue? I have a diode on only one of the right side flippers but none on the left 2.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the pics! Is that just the left side coils? If so, do you have right side as well to compare to? And if you could also post flipper coil skematic, that would be awesome.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for posting the pics and diagram. I had a couple wires on different lugs as in your pics above and switched them to make wiring exactly as you had it. Still having issues. Right side flippers work fine, left side only works when you press both left and right flippers together or other solenoids are activating at same time when hitting left flipper botton. Work done so far: both left coils replaced, all lugs resoldered, left flipper button leaf switch replaced, solenoid driver board reflowed. Seems like left flippers only getting power when other flippers or solenoids are activating. Anyone else ever experienced this or have any further ideas? Thanks for the help.

#12 7 years ago

Yes, I'm getting full 43.5 vDC at each 3 lugs on left flipper coils.

New development though: seems there's no continuity on one side of both diodes on the same side of each left flipper coil, if that helps determine the mystery at all. By the way, I tested the old left flipper coils and no continuity on the same diodes of each one also. Does that help lead me to next step?

#13 7 years ago

The right (working) flipper coils have continuity through both diodes attached to each coil but that's not the case on the left flipper coils. And I triple checked to make sure both right and left coils and switches are wired exact same way as yours were in your posted pics (thanks again for that BTW).

#14 7 years ago

One last update for tonight worth noting that I thought was strange: I used my mutitester with extension leads and was able to verify continuity from all lugs on all left AND right flipper coils to both wires in backbox connector J1 #9 (marked right flipper coil in manual) and #8 (marked left flipper coil). This seemed odd to me. Maybe the 2 wires are crossed somewhere or on back of solenoid driver board to cause this?

Anyway, heading to bed. This has been driving me crazy all freaking day.

#16 7 years ago

Yes Quench, it sure does. I can manually hold the left main flipper up and press the button and it will hold it there and operate the secondary left flipper as well. I've double checked wiring on that EOS switch and made sure contacts are good ( They appear to be recent replacements). But yeah, what you are saying is true about holding up flipper, then the flipper button works.

#18 7 years ago

I get a reading of 3.3 ohms between red arrows in your pic and 3.1 ohms between green arrows. Will take pic of EOS switch and post.

#19 7 years ago

Pic attached of left main (lower) coil and EOS switch.

IMG_2879 (resized).JPGIMG_2879 (resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago

Issue resolved. In the end it simply turned out to just be a very picky EOS switch gap that wanted slightly more distance between contacts. All flippers working perfectly now! All that trouble shooting just for that. Lol. Thanks for the help guys. At least I learned a little more along the way if I face other flipper issues in the future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinFan4Life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-owners-flipper-coil-pics-request?tu=PinFan4Life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.