(Topic ID: 235370)

Space Invaders overlay - do I clear coat it?

By Smart_Bomb

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Jjsmooth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

In a bizarre turn of events I will be working on two Space Invaders pinball machines (one is mine and the other is one I was going to buy but missed out on//its a long story)..ANYWAY..the one I missed out on the new owner is asking me if I would restore the game for him. I explained the cost of a repo and the overlay. He wants to go with the overlay. I have never applied an overlay before so I have a few questions about the process:

1 - After I sand down the playfield do I have to do any type of prep work to the wood before I apply the overlay?

2 - After overlay is applied, do I clear coat it? If so, about how many coats do I apply?

I will look up youtube vids of the process (if any exist) but I also wanted to get educated by the pros on here.

#2 1 year ago

I am currently in the process of putting an overlay on a space invaders also. I should start clear coating this week. You should clean sanded playfield with naptha, clear coat sanded playfield, wet sand, level the lower areas like sunken inserts, clear coat a second coat wet sand if level then apply overlay I will be applying about 5 coats of clear coat then wait about 3 months to harden before repopulating. This is my first time but have done a lot of research

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

In a bizarre turn of events I will be working on two Space Invaders pinball machines (one is mine and the other is one I was going to buy but missed out on//its a long story)..ANYWAY..the one I missed out on the new owner is asking me if I would restore the game for him. I explained the cost of a repo and the overlay. He wants to go with the overlay. I have never applied an overlay before so I have a few questions about the process:
1 - After I sand down the playfield do I have to do any type of prep work to the wood before I apply the overlay?
2 - After overlay is applied, do I clear coat it? If so, about how many coats do I apply?
I will look up youtube vids of the process (if any exist) but I also wanted to get educated by the pros on here.

This pinsider has written an excellent post on doing an overlay. You might find some items in here to help you out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-overlay-installation-procedure

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from fishiz:

I am currently in the process of putting an overlay on a space invaders also. I should start clear coating this week. You should clean sanded playfield with naptha, clear coat sanded playfield, wet sand, level the lower areas like sunken inserts, clear coat a second coat wet sand if level then apply overlay I will be applying about 5 coats of clear coat then wait about 3 months to harden before repopulating. This is my first time but have done a lot of research

so your steps in order are:

1 - Sand playfield
2 - clean with naptha
3 - clear coat
4 - wet sand
5 - level inserts
6 - clear coat
7 - wet sand
8 - apply overlay
10 - apply 5 coats of clear coat
11 - wait 3 months before repopulating

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This pinsider has written an excellent post on doing an overlay. You might find some items in here to help you out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-overlay-installation-procedure

I would use these instruction but would wait longer to repopulate

4 months later
#6 9 months ago

Wait 3 months ?!! seriously?

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from Leon360Chile:

Wait 3 months ?!! seriously?

Depends how thick the clearcoat is; but yes.
If too thick and the layers weren't fully cured; the clear coat will remain soft.
On my first ever PF; some layers were still soft when I started populating; which lead to "wrinkles" appearing with posts and what-nots.

#8 9 months ago

Yeah, I see no reason for 5 coats. I'd put down 1 coat, drip cc into cupped inserts, flatten, put down final coat. Give it 2 weeks to cure, put down overlay. 1 week later, cc over it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside