Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brewchap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have very little sound coming from the -51 sound board. I've adjusted the pot on the board up and down but it does not get any louder. So I thought that the amp might have been bad so I took a spare TDA 2002 and replaced it. Nope, same issue. I have a cap kit coming but I'm pretty sure that will not have anything to do with the sound.
I also looked for another (remote) pot in the cabinet, but didn't see one. What am I missing?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I have very little sound coming from the -51 sound board. I've adjusted the pot on the board up and down but it does not get any louder. So I thought that the amp might have been bad so I took a spare TDA 2002 and replaced it. Nope, same issue. I have a cap kit coming but I'm pretty sure that will not have anything to do with the sound.
I also looked for another (remote) pot in the cabinet, but didn't see one. What am I missing?

I think there is only the one pot. However if you are interested I have a sound board I could send to you... shoot me a PM.

Also I bought a new soundboard here: https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1019-nvramweeblycom

Hope that helps.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

The TDA 2002 rarely goes bad. If you cant adjust the volume its normally a bad op. amp at U8. Its an LM3900.

#4 5 years ago

Check the speaker for damage.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

The TDA 2002 rarely goes bad. If you cant adjust the volume its normally a bad op. amp at U8. Its an LM3900.

Playing around I found that I could infact adjust the volume down. Just cant get the the volume up to hear it over background noise. Would that still be the LM3900?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Playing around I found that I could infact adjust the volume down. Just cant get the the volume up to hear it over background noise. Would that still be the LM3900?

Like JJ said, low but adjustable volume is usually a bad op amp. I think it is a LM3900 on that board.

#7 5 years ago

Thank you guys! I will order one today.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I will order one today.

I'd get a pot while your at it. For the buck or so, it eliminates that from being a problem item in the future.

#9 5 years ago

Will do. It calls out for a 1k ohm but I don't know what size it would be. 6.6mm x 7mm or 9.5mm x 9.5mm

#10 5 years ago

Either will work. The bigger one is easier to adjust with a screwdriver.

#11 5 years ago

I like the 3362P style trim pots. The lead pitch might not be perfect for the -51, but it fits reasonably well.

#12 5 years ago

Done!

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

Replacing the LM3900 fixed the sound issue! Thank you for your help!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-no-volume-from-51-sound-board?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.