Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

Use superglue on the delaminating areas, and use plastic wrap to press it down.

For the cracks in the glass, there was a similar discussion here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-how-do-i-save-this-fireball-backglass

Once you address the cracks, then I would use triple thick.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Do not use triple thick is the only advice I can give!

I've used it on over a dozen backglasses from various eras and haven't had a problem with it yet. Maybe there was something on the surface of that particular backglass? Or did you use something other than the krylon brand of triple thick?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Thanks guys. It’s odd because this mirror backing is making me really nervous about seeing glue spots and I am worried about the glue melting or smearing it. Maybe something more gentle. I can possibly gently lift and get a good spray under it.

The glue won't be visible--it's completely transparent. If the delaminated paint isn't pressed down all the way, then you'll see air pockets. But, you can address those with a needle and super glue if necessary.

Make sure you get the 15 second liquid super glue, not gel or 5 second glue.

I've used the superglue technique several times to save delaminating backglasses. The thing about delamination is that you need something between the glass and the paint. Spraying triple thick on the back side doesn't do much to adhere it to the glass.

First, prepare a piece of plastic wrap enough to cover well beyond the area you're gluing. Make sure it's as flat as possible, and set it aside. Then put generous amounts of superglue under the area that is delaminating. Take the plastic wrap, cover the area, and gently press down (be careful not to break off sections/flakes of paint when you do this. Hold it for about a full minute then let go. Leave the plastic wrap on there for 24 hours, then remove it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-mirror-back-glass-repair?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.