Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Damagio
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#1 6 days ago

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a very beat up SI that is going to need a ton of work. I am trying to see if I can save most of the parts starting with the back glass. It’s in really nice shape, but the mirror on the pack is starting to lift in at least 3 places near the edges. Fortunately it has not flaked off, but it will. I am wondering if it can be fixed. I am probably going to take it to a mirror and glass repair place unless there is a solution I can do myself. I am thinking any type of adhesive will show through. It looks great from the front but won’t for long if something is not done. Thanks for the look and help!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 6 days ago

Do not use triple thick is the only advice I can give! I'm use to using it on EM's with no problem but when I did some spots on a Star Trek it reacted badly with the backglass material.

#3 6 days ago

Use superglue on the delaminating areas, and use plastic wrap to press it down.

For the cracks in the glass, there was a similar discussion here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-how-do-i-save-this-fireball-backglass

Once you address the cracks, then I would use triple thick.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Do not use triple thick is the only advice I can give!

I've used it on over a dozen backglasses from various eras and haven't had a problem with it yet. Maybe there was something on the surface of that particular backglass? Or did you use something other than the krylon brand of triple thick?

#4 6 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've used it on over a dozen backglasses from various eras and haven't had a problem with it yet. Maybe there was something on the surface of that particular backglass? Or did you use something other than the krylon brand of triple thick?

Nope, same old kylon triple thick that I have used on dozens of backglasses now. Back glass was clean with nothing else on it. Caused the backglass art to wrinkle badly wherever the triple thick touched it. The Bally Star Trek art is a different looking process than the normal EM's I'm use to dealing with, much thicker.

My advice if tempted is try a small spot in an inconspicuous area first if thinking about sealing.

#5 6 days ago

Damn do they make a spray super glue? Just thought it would be nice to be capable of laying down a thin even coat.

#6 6 days ago

Thanks guys. It’s odd because this mirror backing is making me really nervous about seeing glue spots and I am worried about the glue melting or smearing it. Maybe something more gentle. I can possibly gently lift and get a good spray under it.

#7 6 days ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Thanks guys. It’s odd because this mirror backing is making me really nervous about seeing glue spots and I am worried about the glue melting or smearing it. Maybe something more gentle. I can possibly gently lift and get a good spray under it.

You won't see the glue. It will dry clear. The problem with trying to use sprays to get adhesive between the glass and the artwork is that the force of the propellant will blow the loose artwork right off the glass.

#8 6 days ago
Quoted from Damagio:

The glue won't be visible--it's completely transparent. If the delaminated paint isn't pressed down all the way, then you'll see air pockets. But, you can address those with a needle and super glue if necessary.

Make sure you get the 15 second liquid super glue, not gel or 5 second glue.

I've used the superglue technique several times to save delaminating backglasses. The thing about delamination is that you need something between the glass and the paint. Spraying triple thick on the back side doesn't do much to adhere it to the glass.

First, prepare a piece of plastic wrap enough to cover well beyond the area you're gluing. Make sure it's as flat as possible, and set it aside. Then put generous amounts of superglue under the area that is delaminating. Take the plastic wrap, cover the area, and gently press down (be careful not to break off sections/flakes of paint when you do this. Hold it for about a full minute then let go. Leave the plastic wrap on there for 24 hours, then remove it.

#9 6 days ago

@forceflow thank you for the detailed instructions. Much appreciated. I will give it a go!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 21.00
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside