New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 281964)

Space Invaders Infinity lights issues

By ViriiGuy

10 days ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Brewchap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 days ago

Hey all,

I have been working on a Bally Space invaders at home for the last couple of weeks. I have everything working now, except for the infinity lights. Only a few work and none of them "chase". In my quest to shotgun the repair... I found some burnt connectors at the power supply, so I replaced the power supply, as I didn't have a rebuild kit handy for a -49, but did have a new Voltage Regulator board.. I replaced the connectors and repinned them. That got me from NO infinity lights, to a few working in clumps. I had a Bally Aux lamp driver board rebuild kit from Big Daddy, so I replaced the chips on the Aux lamp driver. No change. I have tested that it isn't just burnt out bulbs.

I've never messed with a Bally aux lamp driver board before, so I am not sure where to start.

#2 10 days ago

Could be burned out lamps. That's where I'd start. All I the chase lamps are controlled by the aux lamp driver board. Check the header pins for cracked solder joints and reflow if necessary.

#3 10 days ago

I have already verified it is not burnt out bulbs and I have reflowed all the header joints.
When in test mode, the first push, where it flashes all lights... Should the infinity lights blink on and off, or just dim and brighten? Because the couple of sections that work, do not go off. They just dim.

#4 10 days ago
Quoted from ViriiGuy:

I have already verified it is not burnt out bulbs and I have reflowed all the header joints.
When in test mode, the first push, where it flashes all lights... Should the infinity lights blink on and off, or just dim and brighten? Because the couple of sections that work, do not go off. They just dim.

That don't sound right. It's been a short time since I had mine, but I remember that the lights "chase" around the head all the time. Best I can recommend is to check some YouTube video to verify.

#5 10 days ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

That don't sound right. It's been a short time since I had mine, but I remember that the lights "chase" around the head all the time. Best I can recommend is to check some YouTube video to verify.

Yea, I didn't think it seemed right to me either. Also... I see we are in the same town. I assume I know you....

#6 9 days ago

I don't believe that we have ever meet. The only person that I knew pinball wise in the area was Andrew, but he died awhile back.

#7 3 days ago

Andrew was my friend as well. Great guy. Hit me up when the world starts to get back to normal, we will go to Token or Sutt's and play a few rounds. I'm the local Pinball Repair guy these days. As for this issue, it turns out that one of the chips in my rebuild kit was bad. I bought a replacement aux lamp driver and then took a deeper look at the original one.

#8 2 days ago

Yes lets do that once the world gets back to normal. I will be nice to be able to talk pinball to someone local.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
$ 90.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside