IMAG1714 (resized).jpg
IMAG1712 (resized).jpg
IMAG1713 (resized).jpg
IMAG1711 (resized).jpg
IMAG1709 (resized).jpg
IMAG1708 (resized).jpg
IMAG1707 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I recently purchased a #Space Invaders Pin. It had been working fine except at times when the ball would bounce off a certain area, the machine would go out like it was tilted. I realized the whole game was lost and I had to start a new game. Gradually the situation got worse as to sometime the machine would only turn on and with a loud back noise and nothing else. And finally now I only get the lights to come up and not even the loud noise. Mind you after the noise situation started the credit button and the flipper no longer work. I am stuck at the same situation now. When I open the back board I only see a solid green light with no blinking afterwards at all. I think there was some work done on the harness with the molex connectors before I purchased the pin. I notice all the connectors are in but sometimes when I try moving the cables that are down at the rectifier board, the loud noise comes back. I still don't get any action on the machine. I also had one of the metal ramps come loose and it broke from the board. It is one of the ones that the ball comes down from leading to the flipper. Can someone guide me as to how I could trouble shoot further.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Rez007:

I recently purchased a #Space Invaders Pin. It had been working fine except at times when the ball would bounce off a certain area, the machine would go out like it was tilted. I realized the whole game was lost and I had to start a new game. Gradually the situation got worse as to sometime the machine would only turn on and with a loud back noise and nothing else. And finally now I only get the lights to come up and not even the loud noise. Mind you after the noise situation started the credit button and the flipper no longer work. I am stuck at the same situation now. When I open the back board I only see a solid green light with no blinking afterwards at all. I think there was some work done on the harness with the molex connectors before I purchased the pin. I notice all the connectors are in but sometimes when I try moving the cables that are down at the rectifier board, the loud noise comes back. I still don't get any action on the machine. I also had one of the metal ramps come loose and it broke from the board. It is one of the ones that the ball comes down from leading to the flipper. Can someone guide me as to how I could trouble shoot further.

If the loud noise is kind of a hum coming from the speaker you may have a 12v problem. Usually its the isolated ground return for 12v on the driver board. When that connection fails the 12v filter cap on the driver board is no longer doing its job and a nasty hum comes out the speaker. Using the test points on the driver board or just check across the big C23 filter caps leads for at least 12v(reads more like 15-18v usually). If the 12v is really low check the 12v on the rectifier board. If its good on the rectifier board but nothign on the driver board its probably the orange color 12v return is burned up at the driver board end.

Also consider doing the driver board ground and 5v mods as shown on the guides. If there is a problem with that 12v return orange wire between the rectifier and driver board, the driver board ground mods would band aid that problem.

#3 4 years ago

I have posted some pictures of the boards on the top and the rectifier board down below. Can you educate me as to how I would perform the tasks you have listed in laments terms. I have the owner's manual, but not quite sure what you mean. I think some of the cables that are in the rectifier board may have some issues as to when I move them around it causes the humming sound to come and go. Thanks again.

IMAG1707 (resized).jpgIMAG1707 (resized).jpgIMAG1708 (resized).jpgIMAG1708 (resized).jpgIMAG1709 (resized).jpgIMAG1709 (resized).jpgIMAG1711 (resized).jpgIMAG1711 (resized).jpgIMAG1712 (resized).jpgIMAG1712 (resized).jpgIMAG1713 (resized).jpgIMAG1713 (resized).jpgIMAG1714 (resized).jpgIMAG1714 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

probably need to replace both the male and female side of the connectors on the rectifier board, specially if they are burned up. Best guess is the thinner solid orange wire on the 20pin rectifier board plug is the cause. When that orange wire goes out of circuit the sound board will start to hum.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

check out the ground mods on the driver board. they help band aid bad connector issues by relieving stress on some connections that like to burn.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver_Upgrades

#5 4 years ago

Also, install a fuse on the SDB instead of the aluminum foil. May not be related, but that's kind of scary.

1 week later
#6 4 years ago

How can I cross check the cables to make sure they are inserted in the proper pin on the rectifier board. I believe someone changed out the molex connecter ends and when couple of them came out by accident, I may have plugged them back in incorrectly. I am talking about the individual colored wire connectors on the 2 wafers.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Rez007:

How can I cross check the cables to make sure they are inserted in the proper pin on the rectifier board. I believe someone changed out the molex connecter ends and when couple of them came out by accident, I may have plugged them back in incorrectly. I am talking about the individual colored wire connectors on the 2 wafers.

The color codes for each wire is in the full manual w/ schematics up on IPDB (if you don't already have a copy).
Bottom middle of the "Plug Connectors" page has the Wire Color Code key.
So example, J1, pin 1 shows as color "50", which translates to 'white, no trace'.
Or J3, pin 5 - color 92 = 'grey with blue trace'.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for the color clarification. Is there a way for me to check each board separately for proper operation. I am talking about the MPU, Sound Board, Extended sound board, Rectifier and the 5th one as well.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Rez007:

Thanks for the color clarification. Is there a way for me to check each board separately for proper operation. I am talking about the MPU, Sound Board, Extended sound board, Rectifier and the 5th one as well.

The transformer/rectifier board is the easiest to do first, because its just a matter of testing the voltages at the TP's, and then resoldering/re-pinning the connectors.
From your pictures, my main concern is the battery damage on that MPU board.
Most repair information can be found on the https://www.pinwiki.com/ early Bally section. (including how to build a bench tester, although I've personally never done it... I have several Ballys, so i tend to just swap boards into working machines to test.)

#10 4 years ago

Here are the readings from the rectifier board:

TP1 7.4
TP2 -1
TP3 13.3
TP4 0
TP5 43.9

Where do I go from here?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-help-only-solid-green-lights-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.