Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Kirkbride
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So, first time poster, but love the place thus far.

Space Invaders:
Interesting problem of which I am trying to understand what is going on...
I had just installed a new Alltek MPU and Solenoid Board, seemed to be fine, then I noticed that sometimes (maybe every 5 flips) the flipper activation will trigger the passive bumper (not pop bumper) sound and will register the 50 points on the screen. Now the 4 top passive bumpers (not pop bumpers) wont register or play sound when they are hit.

Stranger yet sometimes (seemingly random) after a round when its adding the bonus it will take several seconds to add everything up. Its long enough that the sound effect sequence runs its length and there is silence until its finished counting up and the next ball is cycled.

Other than the two boards getting replaced the rest of the work has been just play field aesthetics and changing the bulbs to 47s. I also had to replace female connector 8 on the rectifier board since it burnt out (used the unused female from the #7 key right next to it).

I am still pretty new at this so any help is a great help!

Thanks in advance

#2 6 years ago

Bang on playfield, adjust switches vibration sets off.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#The_Importance_of_Diodes_and_Capacitors_on_Switches

Check the capacitors on the pop bumper switches. One of the symptoms of a failed capacitor is no scoring or repeated scoring.

#4 6 years ago

Does it makes a difference that these are the passive 50pt bumpers at the top (just for scoring, no kicking spoon) not the pop bumpers below them (which work fine)?

I still am trying to understand how those problems could, or maybe even arent, related to the randomly happening slow bonus score adding after a drain that appeared at the exact same time.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bang on playfield, adjust switches vibration sets off.
LTG : )

You were right. I had done this prior and checked my switches too.... Well, double checking found that the bottom left slingshot switch was in contact. That was disabling the entire top-field passive bumpers and scoring! Once I adjusted it everything came back online and the random scoring/sfx stopped.

Man are these things fun to learn on!

Thanks again everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-flippers-trigger-passive-bumper-soundpoints and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.