Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cody_chunn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Thankfully, this appears to be the last issue for my Space Invaders rebuild, and once again I could use some assistance.

The dead bumpers (the ones with the "50" caps on them up top), along with the rollovers in the horseshoe, do not do anything. I have adjusted switches, checked wiring, all seems ok, but nothing happens. I want to replace the switches, but again no part numbers for them.

Anyone happen to know where I can get replacement switches for the dead bumpers and the rollovers in the horseshoe? Beyond that, any ideas?

#2 5 years ago

So just to try something, I put some deoxit on a business card and ran it through the rollover switches, and what do you know they work again.

Unfortunately, didn't help with dead bumpers, nothing at all happens, even when I short the switch by hand. I am going to check the manual to see if theres a setting for those I missed, otherwise I am stumped. I could have sworn these worked last weekend, so yeah.

#3 5 years ago

They are typical leaf-type switches. The stars in the horseshoe should have .05u or .047u caps across the switches.

Related to the 50 point static bumpers, do any of the vertical switches behind the rubber rings work? Not including slingshot switches. 4 switches plus the one behind the drop target bank.

#4 5 years ago

Actually, oddly enough they do not. None of them do in fact. What does that mean?

#5 5 years ago

Check MPU A4 J2 pin 12.

#6 5 years ago

Also: the left inlane/extra ball lane switch.

#7 5 years ago

Hmmm, it appears I overlooked repinning J2. I will do that now and see if things start working again.

#8 5 years ago

If you haven't reflowed the solder under those MPU headers you should get that done before you call it done.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

If you haven't reflowed the solder under those MPU headers you should get that done before you call it done.

The MPU is a brand new Alltek board. Repinning J2 didn't help any. It seems pretty obvious there is a disconnect somewhere though.

#10 5 years ago

Check all those switches in that row: the 50 point static bumpers, the verticals behind the rings, the left extra ball inlane and I believe the top left red invader standup. Look for a broken wire.

#11 5 years ago

Ok will do thank you! Right now I am checking all of my board connectors and replacing some pins that I don't like the look of. Then I will move to under the playfield and start tracing wires back.

#12 5 years ago

I have continuity between all switches and both wires all the way back to the mpu. Any other ideas?

#13 5 years ago

Out of desperation I sat down and read the service manual in its entirety and learned about the stuck switch test. I tried it and what do you know, switch 5 is stuck (switch 5 being the dead bumpers and the 4 passive slings). *sigh*

Problem is, none of the switches are actually engaged. Do I need to replace a cap or diode or something?

#14 5 years ago

This is resolved. After doing some logical troubleshooting after figuring out it was a stuck switch it turned out that the leaf switch in the passive sling under the left bumper was the culprit. The leaf switch was bent in such a way that it looked disengaged but was touching halfway up.

That took me a good 10 hours to figure out. Just goes to show that you really have to look deep into these annoying issues, and just gives me another reason to put in new switches.

Thanks for your help, I definitely would not have gotten to the end without it!

On the bright side, my Space Invaders is fully functional! Came in as a paperweight in May, and now it lives again.

#15 5 years ago

That's great! Now enjoy the fruits of your labor and roll the score over.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-dead-bumpers-and-rollovers-do-not-work?hl=tenjuna and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.