(Topic ID: 116018)

Space Invaders Backbox Lighting Now Working!

By Robotoes

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Been stuck in EM land and I want to get this working.

Here's what I've done so far:

-Replaced Aux Lamp Driver (old one was toast and wanted to upgrade)
-Confirmed that Aux Lamp Driver is getting power on J1 pin 11 (5v)

I do not have any of the GI, or the controlled lamps.

Where should I head next?

#2 9 years ago

bump.

could this be a ground issue??

#3 9 years ago

Check the square Molex connector between the board and the insert panel, this connector gets oxidized. Large gauge wires in the connector, I believe light blue is one, maybe white is the other?

#4 9 years ago

So the playfield gets GI and controlled but nothing in the back box, right?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So the playfield gets GI and controlled but nothing in the back box, right?

exactly.

will check the molex now.

#6 9 years ago

well, inspected and re-seated every molex between backbox and insert/frame...still nothing. all pins seated, minimal to no corrosion on pins.

#7 9 years ago

have you checked your fuse/rectifier board for cracked,burnt connections. checked the bridges. are all the test points reading corrctly.

#8 9 years ago

well, A2J3-1&2 are toasted which should explain the backbox GI not working....

A2J3-8 also toasted - but confused as sound is working fine (goes to A8J1-10)

all test points are reading within acceptable ranges

#9 9 years ago

up

#10 9 years ago

anyone else have ideas? I will rebuild J2 on rectifier board tomorrow, which should solve GI, but any help with chasers would be great.

#11 9 years ago

it could be a ground problem. when you tested for 5vdc on the aux driver did you test TP1 to TP2? aux driver gets its ground from lamp driver J4-11. is the ground there also? do you have controlled lamps yet? if not the lamp driver might not be getting its ground from rectifier board J3-14

#12 9 years ago

This is now resolved! Rebuilding A2J3 connector not only solved GI, but also solved the chasers.

HOWEVER - I'm not really sure why? Maybe it was A2J3-8, regulated +5v? I can find no other possible link in the schematics from this connector that would explain.

#13 9 years ago

Such an awesome looking game!

#14 9 years ago

It really is. Mine is in very good original shape, but think I'll be selling soon once the rest of the connectors are rebuilt and boards re-pinned.

Was on the fence about getting in for a CPR pf...but I can't really justify the cost.

#15 9 years ago

If your pf just has wear in the bonus area, thers is a nice overlay available. You have to really gat close to mine to tell. With the glass on, damn near impossible.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 185.00
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-backbox-lighting-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.