(Topic ID: 175350)

Southwestern West Virginia attention

By Pinballomatic

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hello friends. I recently moved to West Virginia, about an hour south of Huntington. Those of you Pinsiders (both of you) who live around this area know what I mean when I say that there is nowhere to go and play down here (well extremely few places at least). Therefore, being a life-long resident of NJ (I used to live 15 minutes from the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park), I'm considering taking a page from the successful YESTERcades formula and opening a family game room down here. Not a redemption place; I'm thinking old school pins, vids, air hockey, super chexx, snack bar, fountain soda pop - you get the idea. My area is fairly depressed economy-wise but I think it would get over with the locals at the very least. I'm not thinking on a Dave&Busters level of investment, just a local sized place. I am NOT recruiting investors here I am looking for feedback and ideas from people of whom I think very highly and whom I think might have some insight. This would not be a full-time gig for me as my wife and I both work apart from this potential venture. Thanks in advance.

#2 7 years ago

bump, and for the record this is EXACTLY the response I was expecting...

#3 7 years ago

Very difficult proposition.

#4 7 years ago

You open a business, it will be a full time gig.

There are lots of threads on Pinside about what is needed to open an arcade. And a recent one on KLOV.

People may not have seen your post, or don't feel the need to respond yet again.

Your area is depressed economy wise ? forget it. Entertainment money goes first when people worry about shelter and food.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

How far is West Virginia from Virginia?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How far is West Virginia from Virginia?

0 miles.

#7 7 years ago

First off, thank you for the responses. I wasn't complaining, I was lamenting the fact that there are so very few pinheads down this way. I realize that this will be tough sledding but I think the locals would go for it so I'll continue researching. Thanks again all.

#8 7 years ago

One of the members of The West Virginia Pinball Player's Club has recently opened a business venture similar to what you have described. His vintage arcade is located in Parkersburg, WV and is home to over 100 pins and a similar number of vids. Hopefully, Steve will see this thread and chime in with his experience. Good luck with your venture!

Jim

#9 7 years ago

Thanks, Jim! That's 2 1/2 hours north of me and I will look into it.

#10 7 years ago

Good luck! I wanted to do something like that, but read a few threads on here about it and "these days" with the high cost pins, it is not a good way to make a living. You would be doing it for the love of pinball. From what people have said, you either need to buy "pro" level machines NIB and sell them before they degrade (maybe less than 700-1000 plays), or by them second hand from HUO people at a discount and keep them longer. People have said that buying them NIB and keeping them does not give you a payback. From what I read, vids give more payback (based on machine cost) than pins.

Still work for/with JJP? Turn into a JJP/Stern distributor with player pins on hand to make ends meet???

#11 7 years ago

Hey thanks. I've read those also. I remember years ago dealing with Ron S in north jersey who operated pristine pins in a video store. Everyone said it was just a labor of love and that's basically true. I think he also needed room to store his overflow stuff from his incredible collection. So I completely get it.
    Lloyd said it well also: even though we both work full time, if I opened a place it would essentially become a full time job and I completely understand that also.
    You're correct that I could use my vast network of employers, former employers and friends to help make it go more smoothly. That was one thing that started my thinking about it in the first place. At IAAPA I spoke to some of the Raw Thrills guys and they helped the idea come together and into focus. It's absolutely something that would be an almost sure money loser especially at the beginning. It's something I really want to try though.

8 months later
    #12 6 years ago

looking to trade a TALES FROM THE CRYPT lifesize cryptkeeper with original box and original tapes VERY RARE for a pinball machine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southwestern-west-virginia-attention and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.