(Topic ID: 211179)

Southwest Airlines Magazine featuring pinball.

By hool10

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    7A80141E-BB66-40BB-A063-024B6EBC3BEB (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

A few months back I met at "The Wicked Pissah Pinball Pit" a new person which is always welcome to see in this hobby of ours. Mike had convinced his friend Steve to tag along. I learned that Steve Almond was not only a great guy but he was a journalist. I had fun showing him how to "properly" play pinball and he was having a blast as I did finding out pinball is still a thing, they continually made games since the 70's and 80's, and what it takes to get the crazy scores he was seeing. It was a lot more than flailing the flippers to keep the ball away from the drain area.

A few weeks later and there is a photographer hired by Southwest Airlines taking photos. We find out Steve is a really good journalist and is writing a piece for their in-flight magazine. Also Greg Bond is in a photo and he was in the "King of Kong" film and former Mappy world champion. Luckily the article can be found here if you are not flying in March: https://www.southwestmag.com/pinball-revival/

The photographer is Mary Beth Koeth who did photo's for the Google Pixel phone ads: http://www.mbkoeth.com/#
    Steve Almond is an award winning journalist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Almond

Really I have to say the photo's and story is the best article I have seen in pinball. Maybe I'm biased but it's a great pinball article because it was wrote by a pinball player. It didn't alienate us as the stereotype "freaks" that pinball articles usually do.

#2 6 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!!!

#3 6 years ago

Thank you!

A friend sent this photo to me today

7A80141E-BB66-40BB-A063-024B6EBC3BEB (resized).jpeg7A80141E-BB66-40BB-A063-024B6EBC3BEB (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago

Awesome article and I don’t think I saw the phrase “Pinball wizard” once. Amazing to think every plane in the southwest fleet has hundreds of copies of it and countless people are going to read it.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Awesome article and I don’t think I saw the phrase “Pinball wizard” once. Amazing to think every plane in the southwest fleet has hundreds of copies of it and countless people are going to read it.

"pinball wizard" was referenced a couple of times near the end.
    Good peice

#6 6 years ago

I just read the article, this would be the perfect time to be in an established pinball parlor business to share the joy and social gatherings

Edit: the article also prompts me to never sell another machine, ever. I’m sick with Pin fever by the way

#7 6 years ago

Great reading! Thanks for posting the link.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It actually rivals pinball exposure to the announcement of the Supreme table if you think about it. Southwest: The Magazine is read by more people than TIME magazine in fact.

#9 6 years ago

I’ll have to pickup a copy on my next flight. Thanks for the heads up.

#10 6 years ago

Really good read, without the typical garbage filler that usually comprises about 75% of the content of pinball articles in external media.

"For years, pinball was a highly macho, even sexist scene. But when you get a critical mass of Not White Dudes playing, you don’t see that crazy macho behavior."

Wonder if Bowen will get a pass from the community on that based on his name. Because I know if that quote came from say...Pezpunk... or most anyone else on here, they'd be berated into oblivion. Just goes to show how far there is to go. This hobby severely needs more "not white dudes".

#11 6 years ago

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

#12 6 years ago

I'll be flying SouthWest April 6th. Maybe the magazine will still be there. Got to be an early bird unless you enjoy a middle seat.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I'll be flying SouthWest April 6th. Maybe the magazine will still be there. Got to be an early bird unless you enjoy a middle seat.

Me too!
    Yes, early bird checkin mandatory.

#14 6 years ago

I never use the Early Bird, although I try and refrain from flying all that I can. In any case, I never have any issue getting a window or aisle seat. Just be online at your time and if you are ok with sitting in the back, which is where I prefer, no issues at all.

My next door neighbor brought the magazine home with him from a recent trip and gave it to me.

1 week later
    #16 6 years ago

Now that’s a very well written article. I find most of the Pinball stories l read leave me wanting a more in depth view. This one was just fantastic. Thanks for the link.

#17 6 years ago

Read this on the way back from TPF. Very good article.

#18 6 years ago

Really love this video and the way Steve describes his love for pinball.

#19 6 years ago

Alaska Airlines just did a bit on Portland's pinball scene in their magazine this month too, but i was too jetlagged on my last flight to remember to grab one. Not cover story though.

#20 6 years ago

Was surprised to see this cover story on SW flight yesterday. Best modern introduction to the hobby for a non-enthusiast audience I've read.

#21 6 years ago

I just had some one give this to me. So we can see it's almost over. I don't fly. I think it's good publicity.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#22 6 years ago

Just picked up a copy on our flight yesterday. "So we can see it's almost over?" What did you mean Az?

#23 6 years ago

I read it on the way to texas pinball festival.

#24 6 years ago

I meant the push or cover story. Depending on thier in flight times when they circulate the magazine and which issue. So a different cover is coming soon, or different issue.

I would imagine that a new issue will be in the cabins on 4/1. i might guess without pinball.

It is nice that I can share it online, perpetually.

Thanks for asking.

#25 6 years ago

Nicely written piece, especially for an airline rag.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I meant the push or cover story. Depending on thier in flight times when they circulate the magazine and which issue. So a different cover is coming soon, or different issue.
    I would imagine that a new issue will be in the cabins on 4/1. i might guess without pinball.
    It is nice that I can share it online, perpetually.
    Thanks for asking.

Aaaah, thank you for clarifying

#27 6 years ago

PM me if anyone wants a copy. I fly them a couple times a day on average

#28 6 years ago

Flying out on April 6th, will the magazine still be there?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Flying out on April 6th, will the magazine still be there?

No April 1st will have a new issue on all the planes.

#30 6 years ago

I was wondering why a few weeks ago prices went up........

Has my boss and a good friend return from trips on Southwest this week and give me copies of the magazine.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

No April 1st will have a new issue on all the planes.

My sister-in-law sent me a picture of this issue from her flight today so it's still out there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southwest-airlines-magazine-featuring-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.