1781_(resized).jpeg
1764_(resized).jpeg
1748_(resized).jpeg
1742_(resized).jpeg
20160116_160242_(resized).jpg
vulcan_(resized).jpg
20160116_160345_(resized).jpg
20160116_160413_(resized).jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Big tourney Feb 20th in Pelham, just south of Birmingham, Alabama. $30 entry. Cash prizes to the top 5 finishers. Food provided. Sky Kings EM will be raffled off for $20/ticket. Also a JVL Vortex touchscreen game(used) will be given away to one lucky participant.

Format is 4 player match play(3 player where necessary). Five rounds of 4 games. Swiss pairing after each round. We will be using IFPA scoring(7,5,3,1 in a 4 player group and 7,4,1 in a 3 player group). Highest points total at the end of 5 rounds wins! Entry fee is $30 with an additional side pot for those interested. Prizes will go to the top 5 finishers of 40%, 30%, 17%, 8%, 5%. Food will be provided! BYOB. There is a refrigerator available. Also, bring folding chairs or the like. There is very little furniture at this location, just LOTS of pins!

Doors open @8:30am Central, with practice available until 10am. Tourney starts promptly at 10am so you MUST be there by that time to play. We anticipate the tourney to be finished before 8pm. The address is 108-A Hilltop Business Center Drive, Pelham, Alabama, 35124.

Current game list is:
EM's
Wizard
Sky Kings
Vulcan
Circus

SS
Eight Ball Deluxe
Bally Star Trek
Mata Hari
Trident
Firepower
Galaxy
Meteor
Roller Disco
Amazing Spider-Man

DMD
Gilligan's Island
LW3
Metallica pro
AC/DC premium
Mustang pro
Game of Thrones pro
Star Trek pro
Tron pro
Kiss pro
Monopoly
Star Trek Premium
X-Files

Ck here for more details with lots of pictures.

http://pinballbash.com/forum/index.php?topic=18611.0

20160116_160413_(resized).jpg20160116_160413_(resized).jpg
20160116_160345_(resized).jpg20160116_160345_(resized).jpg
vulcan_(resized).jpgvulcan_(resized).jpg
20160116_160242_(resized).jpg20160116_160242_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Dang, right here in my home state and so many excuses why I can't go...

VERY happy to see pinball events in AL, though!

Keep up the good work.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Cody! There will be more at this location in the future!

#4 8 years ago

I'm in. Now I need to learn how to play.

#5 8 years ago

Glad to hear it! All skill levels will have fun, guaranteed!

#6 8 years ago

FYI, We will be using Match Play Events website for the tournament. I encourage anyone who is playing to register for free at https://matchplay.events

You will be able to view live results on your smartphone during the event, as well as detailed results about your own standings, all LIVE!

#7 8 years ago

More games rolled in today. Star Trek premium, TSPP x2, Monopoly.

1742_(resized).jpeg1742_(resized).jpeg

1748_(resized).jpeg1748_(resized).jpeg

#8 8 years ago

This is great! I'm planning on coming as well. Never played in a tourney before....sounds like fun. Do players need to be registered through IFPA to play? Also, will TSPP and Monopoly be added to the lineup since they are pictured?

#9 8 years ago

Yes both Monopoly and Tspp will be added to the tournament. You don't have to be registered with the ifpa. But once you play in a ifpa event you will be in their system. So the more ifpa events you play you will be ranked and will be able to follow your progress.

#10 8 years ago

Gotcha. Thanks. Looks like you are providing several pins for the tournament....

#11 8 years ago

Yes I should have 8 to 10 pins of mine there for the tournament. It is going to be a blast !!!!!!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Street:

Yes I should have 8 to 10 pins of mine there for the tournament. It is going to be a blast !!!!!!

That is a big commitment. Thank you for your efforts!

#13 8 years ago

Add X-Files to more than likely be there.

#14 8 years ago

Nice, I've been wanting to try several of these machines out.

Will there be any golf style rules? Sorry if this is a noob question, new to this tournament stuff.

#15 8 years ago

Never mind, wrong Pelham.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Never mind, wrong Pelham.

You have voting to do.

#17 8 years ago

LOL yep. And it is snowing like hell, going to be fun.

#18 8 years ago

No golf rules. This is a very straight forward style tourney with no finals component involved. You'll be placed into a four player group and will play 4 pins. The scoring is 7,5,3,1. There is a possibility you get placed into a three player group. The scoring for that is 7,4,1. After each round, all the results get put into the software, points get totaled and you can see where you stand. So for example, a perfect round would score 28, and a terrible round would score 4.

Then the groups are re-shuffled and you play a different set of players on a different set of 4 games. We will do this a total of 5 rounds. The first round pairings are totally random, but for the 2nd-5th rounds we are using Swiss style pairings. This means you will play against people who have the same or similar record as you.

While I'm on this I should mention the tie-breaking procedure. At the end of the tournament any ties for cash paying positions will be broken. If you are tied for a spot farther down the results, then the tie will stand. The software keeps up with how many wins and how many 2nd places you have throughout the tourney. For example you might see:

Steve Bowden 97 6:4

This means he finished with 97 points, having 6 first place finishes and 4 second place finishes. The 6:4 is what is used for the tiebreaker. In the unlikely event that 2 players are still tied after that, there will be a 1 game playoff on a randomly chosen game.

#19 8 years ago

Great line up guys! I know I'm not going to be able to make it up but I think a few of the guys from down here are planning on going. I'll hit them up again just to make sure they have it on the calendar!

#20 8 years ago

Thanks, that's a pretty hefty drive from down there! There are lots of reasonably priced hotels in the area if they wanna come up the night before.

#21 8 years ago

What will I win with a total score of 20? (My expectation for myself)

#22 8 years ago

Some free food and a fun time! Oh yeah, you might still win the JVL Vortex touchscreen game. I should explain how we are doing that. When registration closes and we know an exact number of participants, say 30 for example. Mike will draw a number 1-30. That number will remain hidden. It will be taped backwards to the JVL so nobody can see the number. When the tourney is over, the number will be revealed. If your finishing position in the tourney is that number, you win the JVL. OK, I just realized one issue. If there is a tie for that position there will be a one game playoff chosen randomly. Winner takes home the JVL.

Also don't forget, $20 raffle tickets for the Sky Kings, single player EM, 1973. You can buy none, one, or as many tickets as you want!

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=sky+kings&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#23 8 years ago

If you know any players from Huntsville, you may want to drop them a line. I let jeff sanders know but he was unaware of the tournament. Might be able to entice a few more players to drive down.

#24 8 years ago

Right now I'm planing on coming down with 2-3 people and I'll spread the word. (further)

#25 8 years ago

Curious, is the playing area a heated space?

Edit: Not that it matters, I'll be there either way, more in reaction to what I would wear depending on weather.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Curious, is the playing area a heated space?
Edit: Not that it matters, I'll be there either way, more in reaction to what I would wear depending on weather.

Good question. The short answer is no. The long answer is the front part of the building is climate controlled, but only about six of the games with be in that area. The majority of the games are in the warehouse area, which can be a little cold. The good news is that last time I checked the forecast it was a 60% chance of rain with a high of 69. Also, please bring folding chairs or equivalent. There is almost zero seating in the place.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Right now I'm planing on coming down with 2-3 people and I'll spread the word. (further)

That's awesome. Looking forward to meeting some of the Huntsville pin heads!

#28 8 years ago

Here's another pic, line up of course will change a little.

1764_(resized).jpeg1764_(resized).jpeg

#29 8 years ago

Also confirmed. Gorgar and Eight Ball Deluxe are there now.

#30 8 years ago

Can't wait for this event. Feb. 20 won't come quick enough. Bringing my 10 year old for this one, as well as a fishtales if I get it shopped in time. See y'all there!

#31 8 years ago

Thanks, but I think our cup runneth over on machines! Glad you are coming!

1781_(resized).jpeg1781_(resized).jpeg

1786_(resized).jpeg1786_(resized).jpeg

#32 8 years ago

We are up to 27 games with 4 more on the way. Seriously, anymore and power requirements may become an issue.

#33 8 years ago

Lol, I see what you mean. Mike was asking about bringing the fish tales saying he still needed more pins, but by the looks of it i should just bring my tools and another box to wire him an extra 400 amp service

#34 8 years ago

Ah heck I love fish tales but it kicks my butt. Might be a good back up machine if nothing else. I would ask Mike lol we might have to run more power. That would be a great problem to have.

#35 8 years ago

The list continues to grow. Add Buck Rogers and Gridiron EM to the line-up.

#36 8 years ago

Is the food being provided vegan friendly? Because if it is I'll need to bring some meat.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Is the food being provided vegan friendly? Because if it is I'll need to bring some meat.

Sheesh, I wish this were the problem - or veggie friendly. Usually I pack a lunch or go somewhere, though a few of the guys in Atl always make sure to take care of everyone

#38 8 years ago

Is that my old AMS Jeff? Didn't think you were bringing that

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Is that my old AMS Jeff? Didn't think you were bringing that

Yes it is, one of the nicest ASM I have ever seen.

#40 8 years ago

I will try to find out more about the food. Last I heard there would be deli meats and everything to make sandwiches. I also heard a grill may be there for hot dogs, etc. I'll see if I can get more info. There's also quite a few fast food places within a couple miles. Purple Onion and Milo's are very close by.

#41 8 years ago

Just kidding, and making a pro-meat comment. Whatever is provided will be appreciated and we can supplement as needed

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Just kidding, and making a pro-meat comment. Whatever is provided will be appreciated and we can supplement as needed

Pro-meat comments usually aren't needed. The joke of that is that vegetarian friendly options usually are needed and often aren't there, thus why I usually pack a lunch. I've yet to see an event like this where someone that wants meat goes wanting. Once went to a catered event and the potato chips were the only thing veggie friendly. Even the salad had bacon in it.

#43 8 years ago

Hey guys, Pinballbash seems to be hijacked. Anyone else having this problem?

bash_hijack._(resized).JPGbash_hijack._(resized).JPG

#44 8 years ago

I did but then it went away. Appears the domain temporarily was in need of renewal but Dave got it taken care of.

#45 8 years ago

So just as a heads up at least part of the Huntsville contingent won't be able to make it due to a conflict that came up. There may be one guy coming down. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out though.

#46 8 years ago

FYI on food and pins. There will be hot dogs and chips, deli ham, cheese and bread for sandwiches, a vegetable tray and probably a fruit tray. There will probably be a small dollar amount taken out of the main pot to help cover food costs($20-40).

Pins! There are now 35 pins there! Tron and Avatar showed up from BumperNets. Circus and Buck Rogers have been repaired. There is a Strikes-n-Spares that should be ready. Lost World is coming. X-Files had a bad display but a new DMD has been ordered and should be in tomorrow.

We held the Alabama SCS at this location last weekend and it went very well. Of course, this tourney will be much larger and of a different format, but we feel confident it will go smoothly and everyone should have a great time.

Oh yeah, we will have about 20-30 chairs but if you still want to bring one it wouldn't hurt. We would like to have everyone registered by 9:45 so we can get started on time. At 10am there will be a hard cut off with no more players accepted. Thanks guys and gals. See you there!

#47 8 years ago

We've got 3, maybe 4 coming from Auburn. Stoked!

#48 8 years ago

Is there plenty of on site parking or will we need to park on the street?

#49 8 years ago

There is a decent size parking lot. If that fills up I'm told that the adjacent businesses are closed on Saturday so we could also park there. Fyi, the building is brick and green and has Pac-Man marquis in the windows. The best door to enter is on the right side of the building.

#50 8 years ago

Final list of games!

Arenas

AC/DC premium
Amazing Spider-Man
Buck Rogers
Circus
Eight Ball Deluxe
Firepower
Galaxy
Game of Thrones
Gilligan's Island
Gorgar
Gridiron
Kiss
Lethal Weapon 3
Lost World
Mata Hari
Metallica
Meteor
Monopoly
Mustang
Roller Disco
Sky Kings
Star Trek premium
Star Trek(Bally)
Strikes and Spares
The Simpson's Pinball Party
Trident
Tron
Vulcan
Wizard
X-Files

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-coin-op-presents-pinball-in-pelham-sat-feb20th and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.