(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #37 Initial playfield drawing (in progress) Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #57 Initial CNC playfield sample Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #64 Initial 3D Playfield layout work Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #78 Initial backbox layout design Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #87 Real-world playfield experimentation Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #182 Flipping early prototype video Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #188 Thin bumper prototype Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #258 Starlite sign test Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #330 Starlite sign fiber optic test Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #387 Playfield video Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 6 years ago

Great work!!

#129 6 years ago

I love your organization and clean approach to wiring. A person after my own heart.

2 weeks later
    #191 6 years ago

Looking great!

#200 6 years ago

Sweet! Those ramps flow nicely!

3 weeks later
    #272 6 years ago

Looking great!

#331 6 years ago

What do you have on the other end, a motorized assembly that moves the fiber over the LED?

That's pretty badass...

#335 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Can somebody explain why it was important to print that Starlight sign on a big rig of feeders at an angle, rather than flat? I'm mostly clueless on 3d printing, so I'm genuinely curious as to why thats a thing.

Some pretty good explanations in here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/3bwb4o/why_are_dmls_and_sla_parts_printed_on_angles/?st=jbi3qvpn&sh=79460020

1 month later
    #429 6 years ago

Can you share pics of how you do the casting/injecting? Do you just pour it in the funnel at the top or do you actually push it in with something like a big syringe?

2 weeks later
    #441 6 years ago

Dude this is great stuff. I like the shape of the ramps.

#452 6 years ago

Wow.

2 months later
    #492 6 years ago

Looking good!

1 week later
    #511 5 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Hmmm... Cant seem to find it on Alibaba. Found pleny of others. There are options if you want to purchase a 1000 of them. Lol. Any suggestions to find this display?

The word "China" in his post links directly to it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VGA-LCD-controller-board-RT2270-14-9inch-1280-390-LTA149B780F-LCD-screen/32266352370.html

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Never played one.

I think that's the only one.

2 weeks later
    #528 5 years ago

Coming together so quick, you guys are a great team!

One of my favorite threads.

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

j_m_ This is the shop.... on a clean day.

Wow. That's one of my dreams right there.

#553 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I'll post a more subtle light sequence in a bit. This was just a first test.
    » YouTube video

What does that board look like?

#557 5 years ago

Love it.

#567 5 years ago

I can't imagine any way to suck the fun out of pinball faster than trying to take a game to production and through all the licensing hoops.

Enjoy your custom machines.

#576 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You really should at least start a patent application on this. Very cool.

What do you think is the new invention here? It's an arduino with serial LEDs.

#580 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It's the application of the components. What's special about diet Coca-cola? It's just water, carbonation, and artificial sweeteneer, etc. Coke has a patent on a new artificial sweetener, which puts together chemical components in a unique way. They also have a patent on their new sweetener application in baked goods. Common components, applied uniquely. Patent.
    This is DEFINITELY a new kind of pinball insert light, and it will now be used by others, whether they patent it or not. It's too cool not to be. I believe the application of the components and execution is patentable.

It's not new. Maybe new to you.

Not to detract from what they have done because it's awesome, but not patent worthy.

#582 5 years ago

Several of the custom pins use multiple serial LEDs under single inserts for better lighting patterns.

The good vs. evil head-to-head machine uses them, as well as Brian Cox's machines. There are several insert shapes they have designed boards for. They happily share the board layouts.

Again, not to detract from what is going on here, because this project is pure awesome sauce, and the light patterns that have been coded look sweet as hell. It just isn't worth a patent, imo.

#593 5 years ago

Add 20% more humidity then welcome to the south.

#616 5 years ago

I use 3d printed ladders as well. With homebrew wiring I like to think in more planes than just against the playfield.

With the serial LEDs a lot of us like to use, you need to be careful with solenoid lines in relation to the LED lines especially data lines.

I did led wiring and gi wiring on the plane of the playfield, and all solenoid and switch wiring on a different parallel plane, using the ladders to offset it. I like to also make sure not to run LED lines parallel to solenoid lines, and try to cross them at right angles, even on the different planes.

1 week later
    #640 5 years ago

Sweet!!!!

#643 5 years ago

What do you use to inject the silicone, just a handheld plastic syringe?

1 week later
    #730 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Actually, I know that I'm one of two people in the world who think so but I never liked Goonies. Just never hit home with me. Ok. I'll never watch Mannequin 2.

Watch mannequin 2 just for the sake of watching it.

#758 5 years ago

I used some colored inserts in Spaceballs too, because I personally think a colored insert in some cases looks better than a clear insert with a RGB LED.

1 week later
    #799 5 years ago

Looking great!!!

3 weeks later
    #866 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Just starting some wireform ramp returns. I'm very much looking forward to making these. This is going to be fun.

How are you going to go about it? Welding?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested?tu=Wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.