(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #37 Initial playfield drawing (in progress) Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #57 Initial CNC playfield sample Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #64 Initial 3D Playfield layout work Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #78 Initial backbox layout design Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #87 Real-world playfield experimentation Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #182 Flipping early prototype video Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #188 Thin bumper prototype Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #258 Starlite sign test Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #330 Starlite sign fiber optic test Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #387 Playfield video Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Time.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Is it true that anything that's worth doing is worth overdoing?

Love this. Such a shame it will be covered up by back glass. The main panel is a work of art.

5 months later
    #502 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

but isn't that the form factor that randy said would be too costly to produce?

The screen costs about $110 USD shipped from China. Its not the highest quality though. It looks better in person than what was captured on that video but its no match for modern LCD screens that are perfectly view-able from any angle. This screen is fine, but nothing great. Working with the screen isn't as straight forward as I had hoped. For anyone else considering using this for your projects, know that the driver board is 1280x720 only. The screen itself is 1280x390. So your image output from the OS will be squished and look bad by default. Linux and MPF have display driver options you can force pixel scaling and overscan to make the display look correct.

Other than the wrong LCD driver, there is an OSD menu that displays HDMI INPUT when you power on the screen. This annoys me to no end. I don't have a solution for this as its built into the display board. Right now it feels like a hack to me. Its working, but by no means does it feel like a professional solution.

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Hey tell us where you got that display. Please. Looks better than the colordmd.

Its not as sharp nor does it have as good of viewing angles as a colordmd LCD screen. I got it from China

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I wouldn’t feel too bad - both the theatre and phone screens on Dialed In do this.

Ewwww.

That actually been something I've been wanting to checkout. Need to talk to some people with modern LCD games. I noticed Huduni showed a bunch of bios boot text on cold start. Not a fan. I'm curious what the "pros" are all doing with regards to this. Its definitely not something I want in what I'd call a finished product. I never want anyone to see what's behind the curtain. Unless of course they come here and read about it.

A totally clean boot in under 5 seconds is my goal. I've been playing with hardware and Linux distros to see what combo might work.

4 weeks later
    #537 5 years ago

SpaceGhost forgot to post photos of the mech production line. The mechs for #1 and #2 are all wired and ready to go. The girly wire color code provided by John

IMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPG

#603 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Because time was giving me crap about having Cactus Canyon as my avatar when I don't have it anymore. I did the JP because he likes JP...and I'm an ass.

I did notice this

2 weeks later
    #710 5 years ago

Here's the current backbox test rig running power supply, filtering, CPU, audio amp, LCD controller, fast nodes, and fast nano controller. Setting up to test how I'm going to make the coin door service switches actually control the audio volume with some kind of on screen display. Going to be working on that this week. I made an speaker test rig to try out some speakers too and I think they sound pretty decent IMO. Its stupid loud. Thanks SpaceGhost for the molex set. I added a disconnect for my speaker panel to make it all nice nice.

IMG_0330 (resized).JPGIMG_0330 (resized).JPG

IMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPG

#751 5 years ago

We're bringing the whitewood cabinet to California Extreme July 28th - 29th in Santa Clara, CA. Come meet us there and see TLS homebrew in person.

#752 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I am looking forward to the final build up from the whitewood.
    Have playfield graphics been finalized???
    For my project it seems im going the route of OPP + MPF. The new opp planks seem to be a great step in the right direction.

We're using Fast Pinball controllers and MPF v0.50

1 year later
    #969 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Anything new on this one while this mess is going on?

Dead at the moment but the cabinet and parts are still around. The team leader moved away and critical skills to finish the whitewood were lost. Right now I'm building a SF2 project but even that hasn't seen much progress during COVID. Working from home I've actually been very busy surprisingly.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Anything happening with the coding? Did the whitewood ever flip?

It had basic flipping, test sounds, and video but non of the opto switches work. One of the controller boards blew up and there's been wackiness in the game since. I've fixed the electronics, wiring and it does flip again, but I think the optos got fried. I have parts to fix them but just haven't done it. The key issue at the moment is that the prototype ramps don't fit current version of the playfield. So isn't much you can do with the game. They need to be remade. I've picked up some cad skills but not enough to get another version of the playfield or ramps made.

I fear it can't really progress beyond the current whitewood but I would like to at least get the ramps redone somehow so could be shootable. The game is ready to restart if SpaceGhost moves back to SoCal. I personally want to see forward movement on this someday.

#974 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, that sucks, but thanks for the update.
    I thought the job pinteresting took was temporary. Did it turn into something more long-term?

pinteresting was really the man with the skills. I haven't heard from him but I've tried pinging him a few times. He has the original 3D models. Tell you what, I'll fire up the game this week and see if I can at least get some optos working. Though I'm not totally sure they ever did work right. I bought new ones awhile back that I can test. I've got like 4 grand in parts sitting around for this, so I really should at least film an update for you all where the game sits. Give me the week to poke at it and I'll post something. I'm doing multiple projects around the house right now so I don't have a whole lot of time.

4 weeks later
    #975 3 years ago

Here is the status update:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Time.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested?tu=Time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.