(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 21.
    #351 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

cleland Ok. I would like to run the new playfield over the holiday if I can but We'll talk. I'll work on the new ramps. I'm going to try to adjust the flippers to 6.75" gap. vs. the 7" gap. I can feel everyone's tears already.

why not install a centre post that can be removed and replaced with a metal machined plug - am doing that on my game then there offers more game play variety to make the game easier or harder - versus easier all the time

with a blank plug
    screen-capture-7 (resized).pngscreen-capture-7 (resized).png

plug removed ready for a custom metal post
    screen-capture-12 (resized).pngscreen-capture-12 (resized).png

#352 6 years ago

Well, we have a save function that I think in combination with a post is too nice to the player. I think this game needs to be difficult.

#353 6 years ago

From a game/money perspective back in the day...
    any time over 3.5 minutes and you are losing money.

#354 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I did this lightest this morning just to see how things would work. Very happy with the results. I definitely need to dim the LED down. This is entirely powered by one LED
    » YouTube video

Very Well

#355 6 years ago

I like the option to add a center post. Not everybody is a hardcore player. I wish this existed on DI with all those STDM balls .

#356 6 years ago

Oh, we have a ball save mechanism better than a center post. I'll let pinteresting chime in if he wants to, but it involves a lot of voltage which blew up a board

#357 6 years ago

Software or hardware ball save?

#358 6 years ago

Combination of both Software and Hardware. Everything hardware pretty much requires programming but there will be rules present to activate and initiate the ball save feature.

#359 6 years ago

How about a pop up ball save like on Space Shuttle?

#360 6 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

Oh, we have a ball save mechanism better than a center post. I'll let pinteresting chime in if he wants to, but it involves a lot of voltage which blew up a board

Are you doing a Goldeneye magnasave?

#361 6 years ago

It’s a little humanoid that runs around and kicks the ball back into play,

Yes, more like Goldeneye

#362 6 years ago

I'm really enjoying following this thread. Thank you for documenting and sharing the experience. I've always loved the movie and it looks like it's going to be a great pin. Amazing work!

#363 6 years ago

Lookin' really sweet!
    Wally

#364 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarkInc:

Are you doing a Goldeneye magnasave?

Give the man a prize

#365 6 years ago

Amazing thread.

This really highlights the importance of good project management.

If you don't mind me asking, how deep are y'all in this financially, minus the shop equipment, thus far?

#366 6 years ago

Well, as you know it's far more expensive buy components that are new from places like Marco Specialties, Pinball life, etc. than buying wholesale. The total bill so far is already at about $7500. Now, The reality is that there was a lot of unnecessary components that were purchased that would be avoided in the future but that really only amounts to about $500-$750 of the total thus far.

I imagine that the cost of components of a pinball machine would normally want to be around $3500-$4500 all-in including labor and licensing. That cost would drastically change for a license like Star Wars or something relatively current. Price tag would need to be about $5.5-6K minimum based on a quantity of 2500 or so in order to profit. I may be way off though.

#367 6 years ago

In cases like this, I'm sure Stern is buying their full assemblies from China directly. It's really the only way to really profit in these low quantities. The circuit boards, I know, are an issue with a lot of you. Having all the LEDs directly mounted to large circuit boards, tiny little components that you, as a user, can't replace or repair. That's the reality of having to adapt to the lower interest in pinball machines. If someone would come along and make a huge pinball movie, the market would be invigorated for about six months to a year and would create some new blood in the consistent market. The problem with pinball is that all the customers are older customers or people who have just stumbled onto this "hobby".

The would-be new customers don't have the cash in general to drop on a new game so they often will start with an 80's title or something like that.

In my case, I started with pinball only about 8 years ago. I grew up liking arcade machines and was addicted to them as a teenager. As an adult, I forgot about them almost entirely until someone gave me a Ms. Pac-man cocktail table that didn't work. I, of course, took it home and fixed it and became hooked on arcade machines. One day, I went to go buy an arcade machine from a Craigslist weirdo and he had a pinball machine in his garage. It was actually in very nice condition. He asked me if I was interested in buying it but he said it didn't work. I always love a challenge so I asked how much? I figured he'd come back with something like $1500 or $2000. He was only asking for $750. I ran to the ATM and grabbed the pinball machine. I had no idea how they worked or even if I would like it. Truthfully, I figured that I could fix it and flip it to buy more arcade machines.

I got it home. It wouldn't power on. I got the back box opened along with the playfield up. I got it powered up within a couple hours. I found a capacitor that everyone had issues with that was the main culprit. The rest of the week, I spent fixing the previous owner's horrible hack repairs. I still have that machine and it's still one of my favorite games to this day.

High Speed II: The Getaway

This game is also why I love "flow" games.

#368 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

Amazing thread.
    This really highlights the importance of good project management.
    If you don't mind me asking, how deep are y'all in this financially, minus the shop equipment, thus far?

It's interesting because going into this project, I thought that I'd have to wrangle these guys more but they are all on top of everything. They are all very responsive and knowledgable. I couldn't really have assembled a more competent group of guys to work with on this project if I had tried. Everyone just kind of came together through the interest in the project. I'm actually hoping that these guys stick around for the next one and we keep this "Six Pack Pinball" group going. It's been a lot of fun so far.

#370 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

It's interesting because going into this project, I thought that I'd have to wrangle these guys more but they are all on top of everything. They are all very responsive and knowledgable. I couldn't really have assembled a more competent group of guys to work with on this project if I had tried. Everyone just kind of came together through the interest in the project. I'm actually hoping that these guys stick around for the next one and we keep this "Six Pack Pinball" group going. It's been a lot of fun so far.

No worries on the edit. Just sound sane, imo hahaha.

So is it the six plus the coder? Or the 6 and the coder?

I'd be interested in purchasing a stake in it. Regardless if the IP isn't y'all's, the factual development itself is a protected IP. That, and similar to yourself, I like the 80's and flow game. The modern sterns irk me as being unfun, pretentious, and slightly idiotic, to be frank.

#371 6 years ago

Some sexy son of a guns too!

#372 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Some sexy son of a guns too!

Doh! That's me in the gray shirt sucking it up big time! Thanks for making me famous pinteresting, I didn't realize I needed a haircut that bad. I'll schedule one after Christmas

#373 6 years ago

cleland Better than you showing up in your pajamas again.

TKDalumni Page...There's going to be some big stuff happening the next time you play!

#374 6 years ago

I leave you guys alone for one sesh and you go all big stuff on me!! Can't wait

#375 6 years ago

I wonder how fast it will play once clear coated.

#376 6 years ago

Jeremy8419 Probably pretty fast. It's pretty fast already.

TKDalumni LOL. yeah. I know. We were like... Adam's gone. Let's get some Sh!t done!

#377 6 years ago

I'm going to start the print on the gunstar (spaceship) again. Just made some adjustments that will, hopefully, allow me to install this into the game.

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 2.36.46 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-26 at 2.36.46 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 2.36.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-26 at 2.36.37 PM (resized).png

#378 6 years ago

I know yall aren't in the art phase, but you know what would be cool?

If the start button was on the front left, and the hot chick covered the whole lower left area, where the game card normally goes. Then it would be like the movie. All the playfield is all dim and methodical like the town from the movie. But it stirs something in you. You want adventure. You move towards the start button, and you see the hot chick, but adventure is calling. You take one last look at her, push the start button, and launch off into space. You go have grand adventures. And when the battles are over, and the ball returns home, the hot chick is waiting for you, but you don't stay long, before you blast off again, why? Because YOU are the last starfighter.

#379 6 years ago

Jeremy8419 LOL. I had to read that to my wife. We both had a good laugh at that. That's EXACTLY what we are going to do. LOL

#380 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

jeremy8419 LOL. I had to read that to my wife. We both had a good laugh at that. That's EXACTLY what we are going to do. LOL

I daydream too much lol.

#381 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I'm going to start the print on the gunstar (spaceship) again. Just made some adjustments that will, hopefully, allow me to install this into the game.

Is anything on the gunship gonna light up?

#382 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is anything on the gunship gonna light up?

like maybe the legs, paul? (sorry, couldn't resist

#383 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

like maybe the legs, paul? (sorry, couldn't resist

#386 6 years ago

Light up (orange old school incandescent color) trailer, mailbox, cafe, street light would be cool for the (still don't know the name) not-in-game lighting sequence stuff.

#389 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

the guy in the black coat looks like he's about to shovel snow in a blizzard. Isn't it warm in SoCal?

That's me. My metabolism is a challenge. I had a stroke and three brain surgeries. I'm getting better but. Slowly. I wore that coat to be safe but out here in California today it's about 80!

Maybe 84.

Sorry to digress normally it's cool and a little rainy. I also need a zipped pocket. if possible.

#390 6 years ago

It's really shaping up. Who's doing your cabinet / playfield art?

#391 6 years ago

I don't know yet. I think TKDalumni had someone he was talking about using. Not sure.

#392 6 years ago

Just waiting on some drop target assemblies to show up today. Then, I'm headed to the shop.

IMG_5642 (resized).JPGIMG_5642 (resized).JPG

IMG_5643 (resized).JPGIMG_5643 (resized).JPG

#393 6 years ago

I got the slide mechanisms installed along with the lock bar today. I can't tell you how good it feels when that playfield locks into place. So good...so damn good.

The diverter is working. I cut the left ramp shorter. Ship trough is wired but not working. Not sure why. Ball trough is wired. I'll be bringing this home tomorrow to work on it all week long from home. Next weekend should produce some really interesting gameplay where things will be continuous and some basic functions will be working.

I designed this plate today. I'm printing it now to see how it will work. It is designed to hold 17 LEDs. Each of the little tubes will house an LED and the bundle of corresponding fiber wires will be inserted into the tube. One LED per letter on the sign.

Messages Image(262623772) (resized).pngMessages Image(262623772) (resized).png

#394 6 years ago

I'm going to start working on this in my spare time. This will require a little spot welding.

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.18.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.18.55 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.19.09 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.19.09 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.19.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.19.22 PM (resized).png

#395 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I'm going to start working on this in my spare time. This will require a little spot welding.

you sure you want to fabricate an apron? Spooky already makes metal ones, or you can buy Stern plastic aprons from pinball life.

#396 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

you sure you want to fabricate an apron? Spooky already makes metal ones, or you can buy Stern plastic aprons from pinball life.

and don't forget about Timebandet's aprons. His would be super cool with some custom laser etching on the inside.

#397 6 years ago

Looking good. Following

#398 6 years ago

The plastic stuff is really cool. I just like the look of the 90's Williams machines. The apron doesn't look difficult to make. I think I can build it on my lunch break.

#399 6 years ago

GimpMaster Thanks. Fun project so far.

#400 6 years ago

FYI... When you are cooking breakfast for your wife and you are using really hot jalepenos, don't rub your nostril and left eye until you've thoroughly washed your hands.

Just Sayin'

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/8?hl=jeremy8419 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.