(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 21.
    #101 6 years ago

Someone asked me how I'd make the head components disconnect from the cabinet components.... My plan is to run my wiring off the terminal blocks at the bottom of the main panel to multiple circular connectors. This will allow for an easy disconnect. For the network cables, I built a box to easily connect and disconnect the two cables. AC power will be on it's own connector along with the DC power (12/5vdc). 48volt power supply will be located in the main cabinet body.

Total wire count from head to cabinet (SO FAR):
    CONNECTOR #1:
    1 - 120 VAC
    2 - Neutral
    3 - GND

CONNECTOR #2:
    1 - RGB CH1 DIGITAL OUT
    2 - RGB CH2 DIGITAL OUT
    3 - RGB CH3 DIGITAL OUT
    4 - 5VDC
    5 - 5VDC
    6 - 0VDC
    7 - 0VDC

CABLES:
    9 - NETWORK CABLE OUT
    10 - NETWORK CABLE IN

#102 6 years ago

Wow. Someone pushed the fast forward button on this project! Awesome.

#103 6 years ago

We're trying. All the guys involved have been great about meeting and moving things forward. Right now, unfortunately, we're waiting on hardware controllers to continue the programming. We can't wire up everything and test the components without the parts.

#104 6 years ago

Usually these projects take forever. Im bummed I didn't PM you to get involved. I didn't realize you guys were going to actually get things done. Amazing work, and I love watching this thread every day.

#105 6 years ago

Hah. Well, there's always a lull in projects. It's just the way it is. I'm lucky that I have access to the shop all hours and weekends so it's helpful in that respect. On the other hand, the guys involved are very responsive and have great ideas. They all have a great understanding of the gameplay which is where I lack. I really think this will end up a very playable and fun game.

We were even fortunate enough to find someone who might be interested in helping with the coding and implementing some deeper rules.

#106 6 years ago

These is our currently layout for the next test. This will be made to be playable. Once this version is assembled and electrified, we'll concentrate on programming and other aspects of this runaway train.

Messages Image(1241344410) (resized).pngMessages Image(1241344410) (resized).png

Messages Image(2610574620) (resized).pngMessages Image(2610574620) (resized).png

#108 6 years ago

Couple other shots.

Messages Image(4162518233) (resized).pngMessages Image(4162518233) (resized).png

Messages Image(3141412539) (resized).pngMessages Image(3141412539) (resized).png

Messages Image(3883696787) (resized).pngMessages Image(3883696787) (resized).png

#109 6 years ago

Man, we are on a role and this pin is getting done! Can’t wait to shoot the white wood this Saturday.

#110 6 years ago

Oh God! The pressure. Now I have to get it done.

Finished the main panel today. Moving to the lower cabinet I/O panel tomorrow

IMG_5111 (resized).jpgIMG_5111 (resized).jpg

IMG_5110 (resized).jpgIMG_5110 (resized).jpg

IMG_5105 (resized).jpgIMG_5105 (resized).jpg

IMG_5112 (resized).jpgIMG_5112 (resized).jpg

#111 6 years ago

I still need to build a cover for the line filter. I ended up using the 30A filter rather than send it back and getting the correct one. I don't really like that the terminals are so exposed so I will work on a clear finger shield to go over it.

We did this test print today of the sign. It seems ok. We are breaking it down so it will light as it did in the film.

IMG_5104 (resized).JPGIMG_5104 (resized).JPG

#112 6 years ago

looking good, awesome progress

maybe update the title of your thread with the game name...

#113 6 years ago

Thanks. Yes. Changed the title.

#114 6 years ago

Headed down to the shop to cut the lower cabinet panels. Going to try to get these wired up by tomorrow night... yeah right.

subpanel (resized).pngsubpanel (resized).png

#115 6 years ago

Is it true that anything that's worth doing is worth overdoing?

IMG_5125 (resized).JPGIMG_5125 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5126 (resized).JPGIMG_5126 (resized).JPG

#116 6 years ago

Boy these things take forever!

#117 6 years ago

Great work!!

#118 6 years ago

Wow! This has got to be one of the quickest home brews ever and it looks amazing. Love The Last Starfighter, am really interested to see how the ruleset comes together.. got to have Grig in there!

#119 6 years ago

Who's Grig?

... kidding

It's weird because aside from the ultra shitty special effects, the film had a lot of heart. It was ground breaking for special effects because it's the first feature length film to utilize CGI to produce all of the visual effects but the software and hardware just wasn't quite there yet.

#120 6 years ago

Random info on The Last Starfighter - Nick Castle, Lance Guest, and Dan O'Herlihy had all previously been in the Halloween film franchise. Castle played Michael Myers in Halloween (1978), Lance Guest played Jimmy in Halloween II (1981), and Dan O'Herlihy played Conal Cochran in Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982).

untitled (resized).pnguntitled (resized).png

#121 6 years ago

Oh snap! I had no idea.

image_uploaded_from_ios_1024 (resized).jpgimage_uploaded_from_ios_1024 (resized).jpg

#122 6 years ago

weird sex toy?

Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Oh snap! I had no idea.

#123 6 years ago

LOL. Spaceship from the film.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Is it true that anything that's worth doing is worth overdoing?

Love this. Such a shame it will be covered up by back glass. The main panel is a work of art.

#125 6 years ago

It looks like you have a small fleet of those Raise3d printers. Have the been relatively easy to use? I’m in the market for a smaller version and they have a model I was considering.

Amazing project so far. I absolutely love everything you’ve done so far.

#126 6 years ago

The printers are relatively decent. We only use them for mock ups and things we will not really end up using in the end but overall, they've performed pretty well. There are a couple things we did to fix some design flaws.

#127 6 years ago

I've got the lower cabinet power panel wired up. Just waiting on some more terminals and the filter board. I was thinking about redoing the I/O board and adding terminals but I don't want to introduce any additional connections that aren't necessary. Especially on the low voltage I/O stuff.

IMG_5153 (resized).JPGIMG_5153 (resized).JPG

IMG_5154 (resized).JPGIMG_5154 (resized).JPG

#128 6 years ago

very nice work on the power supply

#129 6 years ago

I love your organization and clean approach to wiring. A person after my own heart.

#130 6 years ago

Hah. That's actually just the way industrial wiring is done. I don't know of a controls company who wouldn't fire you if you didn't wire this clean or better. I was fortunate enough to work for a controls company for about 4 years doing electrical design under UL standards. I can only apply what I learned there but for this, it should be fine.

#131 6 years ago

Good news. My linear power supplies will be here tomorrow. I can finally wrap up the main panel wiring and put that to bed.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Hah. That's actually just the way industrial wiring is done. I don't know of a controls company who wouldn't fire you if you didn't wire this clean or better. I was fortunate enough to work for a controls company for about 4 years doing electrical design under UL standards. I can only apply what I learned there but for this, it should be fine.

I love it! UL is a badge of pride in your work! We have had our FAST hardware in the EMI chamber but really want to get a full machine in there at some point.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#133 6 years ago

Really cool. Keep up the great work!

#134 6 years ago

Just read through this thread during my lunch and it is a awesome. Major props to the OP and his team members on the progress and the project. I really enjoyed this movie!

Can I assume you will have a mini arcade somewhere in there so that no one has to add it as a “mod” later on?

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Can I assume you will have a mini arcade somewhere in there so that no one has to add it as a “mod” later on?

I'd say that's a safe assumption Check post #108 for the placement.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'd say that's a safe assumption Check post #108 for the placement.

Oh I see near the ramp! Awesome!

#137 6 years ago

Oh crap. Somebody better talk to TIME and let him know that the game needs to work.

#138 6 years ago

Time will help us “big time” on the programming. Then, he can plug in the hundreds of sound bytes I have collected!
    Big progress is happening in a short amount of time.

#139 6 years ago

He's already done more on the program than I was able to do in weeks. I feel so inadequate....

Meanwhile one node's worth of wiring is half done. Aside from wire numbers (ugh. I hate wire numbers)

IMG_5161 (resized).JPGIMG_5161 (resized).JPG

IMG_5162 (resized).JPGIMG_5162 (resized).JPG

#140 6 years ago

Looking good!

#141 6 years ago

I can't believe how fast this is going. Great job!

#142 6 years ago

Seems to me like things are moving along ok. I think that once this first assembly is complete and playable, we'll start moving forward faster. It's a little bumpy right now because we are still in our early development stage.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

It's a little bumpy right now because we are still in our early development stage.

Could have fooled me ... this is my favorite thread on Pinside right now!

#144 6 years ago

This is amazing - one of my favorite movies. Love how you guys are blasting through this. Keep it up!

#145 6 years ago

You’ve landed on one of my top 3 untouched dream themes. Great progress. Can’t wait to see the final results!

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aeolus7:

You’ve landed on one of my top 3 untouched dream themes. Great progress. Can’t wait to see the final results!

Hah. Me too! Can't wait to play this thing!

#147 6 years ago

Here we go. The ol' version 3 playfield is done. Going to start attaching devices tomorrow.

This will be our first playable version of the playfield. The next version will probably have some adjustments.

Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions. Some were implemented and some were disregarded as garbage. ...kidding

IMG_5170 (resized).JPGIMG_5170 (resized).JPG

#148 6 years ago

A few people have asked me to put my electrical drawings package up for public view. I will do so for sure. I need to go through it and prove the connections first. It's still not 100%. I'm on REV B right now. We are getting the new playfield setup to test and I will need to wire in many of the components so the guys can all have their way with her. We'll probably play it like this for a week or so before going nuts on a revised playfield.

Time is working on the program. I'm going to try to help him as much as I can since that is the biggest part of this entire project. All the wiring, construction, etc. is easy when compared to the programming. Very appreciative that he is able to jump in and help us out.

#149 6 years ago

Holy cow. We're officially 60 days into the project! Kind of... I guess it's really just 60 days since the thread started. We got a group together about 3 weeks after I started this thread. So technically I guess we are only into it by about 37 to 40 days. We'll get there. We'll celebrate when we hit 90 days for sure.

What the heck could this be?

IMG_5181 (resized).JPGIMG_5181 (resized).JPG

#150 6 years ago

Guys, guys, you are doing it all wrong. You should spend a minimum of a year doing artwork, then another year or 2 redesigning parts components.
    Love JPOP

Seriously how good is pininteresting?

Great work.

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/3?hl=pigeonfarmboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.