New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By pinteresting

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,009 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by pinteresting
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 344 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1009 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.
    #951 1 year ago

Pretty much storing it, as of now and working on some basic coding on free time. Art hasn’t been discussed for some time.

#952 1 year ago

Breaks my heart. I thought for sure we would see this game completed.

1 month later
    #953 1 year ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Pretty much storing it, as of now and working on some basic coding on free time. Art hasn’t been discussed for some time.

Anything happening with the coding? Did the whitewood ever flip?

1 month later
    #954 1 year ago

Soo sad.... Even more the designs of the 3dprinted parts never saw the day of light....

#955 1 year ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Breaks my heart. I thought for sure we would see this game completed.

I thought so too.. I followed this thread almost every day. Sad to see it just go poof.

#956 1 year ago

Maybe we should petition that they start this project back up again?

#957 1 year ago
    Quoted from BenB:

Maybe we should petition that they start this project back up again?

Yes, yes i will sign it right now. The project was making amazing progress and I am surprised it came to a screaching halt as there seemed to be alot of passion involved.

#958 1 year ago

*Click* scroll down...... And nothing new. Damn it! Between this and the wizard blocks post I'm always disappointed.

#959 1 year ago

They should release the models open source if it's actually a dead project.

#960 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

They should release the models open source if it's actually a dead project.

I don't understand why everyone feels entitled to someone's hard work just because they don't complete something, don't feel the need or never intended to sell it. why can't everyone just be happy that they were willing to share their progress and include us?

#961 1 year ago

I can speak for must of us here. We loved the high quality build, detailed updates, and simply wanted to see his dream machine flip! No way should he dump all the hard work. He’ll be back.

#962 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I don't understand why everyone feels entitled to someone's hard work just because they don't complete something, don't feel the need or never intended to sell it. why can't everyone just be happy that they were willing to share their progress and include us?

I didn’t read that comment as entitlement- more just saying if the project is dead (is it truly dead??) why waste all that work? If it’s put up open source maybe someone wants to take a stab at completing it with what’s been done. I don’t see any problem with that.. this wasn’t a production machine, homebrew is all about sharing info and helping each other.

#963 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I don't understand why everyone feels entitled to someone's hard work just because they don't complete something, don't feel the need or never intended to sell it.

Everyone doesn't. I personally think that sharing non-commercial stuff makes the world a better place. I do it all the time with software and PCB designs. Hell, we wouldn't be having this conversation without a stack of open source software residing on the pinside server.
    If they don't want to, that's fine, too. If it were me, and the project was well and truly dead, then I would release the files with a non-commercial license, hoping to see someone bring it home.

Of course, since this is not an original theme, some of the designs might infringe upon commercial IP(intellectual property), so it may all be a moot point anyway, as sharing it publicly might expose them to legal action.

#964 1 year ago

I thought you could share stuff you designed/altered - as long as you weren’t profiting?

#965 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I thought you could share stuff you designed/altered - as long as you weren’t profiting?

I think you could certainly share the 3d models. Go on thingiverse, people are always uploading things that are technically licensed. I don't know that they got the code to the point where there is a lot (if any) footage from the movie.

Honestly I think this project could potentially continue on so long as there is someone managing the project. I worked remotely on two projects (IE I did all the art and sounds, Hugh did all the work of coding/wiring):
    https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Van_Halen
    https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=SharpeShooter_III

3 months later
    #966 11 months ago

So is this a dead project or just in extended stasis?

3 months later
    #967 8 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

So is this a dead project or just in extended stasis?

Stasis I hope.

3 months later
    #968 5 months ago

Anything new on this one while this mess is going on?

#969 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Anything new on this one while this mess is going on?

Dead at the moment but the cabinet and parts are still around. The team leader moved away and critical skills to finish the whitewood were lost. Right now I'm building a SF2 project but even that hasn't seen much progress during COVID. Working from home I've actually been very busy surprisingly.

Quoted from vireland:

Anything happening with the coding? Did the whitewood ever flip?

It had basic flipping, test sounds, and video but non of the opto switches work. One of the controller boards blew up and there's been wackiness in the game since. I've fixed the electronics, wiring and it does flip again, but I think the optos got fried. I have parts to fix them but just haven't done it. The key issue at the moment is that the prototype ramps don't fit current version of the playfield. So isn't much you can do with the game. They need to be remade. I've picked up some cad skills but not enough to get another version of the playfield or ramps made.

I fear it can't really progress beyond the current whitewood but I would like to at least get the ramps redone somehow so could be shootable. The game is ready to restart if pinteresting moves back to SoCal. I personally want to see forward movement on this someday.

#970 5 months ago
    Quoted from Time:

Dead at the moment but the cabinet and parts are still around. The team leader moved away and critical skills to finish the whitewood were lost. Right now I'm building a SF2 project but even that hasn't seen much progress during COVID. Working from home I've actually been very busy surprisingly.

It had basic flipping, test sounds, and video but non of the opto switches work. One of the controller boards blew up and there's been wackiness in the game since. I've fixed the electronics, wiring and it does flip again, but I think the optos got fried. I have parts to fix them but just haven't done it. The key issue at the moment is that the prototype ramps don't fit current version of the playfield. So isn't much you can do with the game. They need to be remade. I've picked up some cad skills but not enough to get another version of the playfield or ramps made.
    I fear it can't really progress beyond the current whitewood but I would like to at least get the ramps redone somehow so could be shootable. The game is ready to restart if pinteresting moves back to SoCal. I personally want to see forward movement on this someday.

Well, that sucks, but thanks for the update.

I thought the job pinteresting took was temporary. Did it turn into something more long-term?

#971 5 months ago
    Quoted from Time:

The key issue at the moment is that the prototype ramps don't fit current version of the playfield. So isn't much you can do with the game. They need to be remade. I've picked up some cad skills but not enough to get another version of the playfield or ramps made.

Do you have the existing CAD files? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it to keep this moving along.

#972 5 months ago

The layout is very similar to a AFM as I gave him the artwork file that gives the general layout but he did upgrade that alot.

Such ashame it halted as was looking awesome with so much potential

#973 5 months ago

Well toyotaboy beat me by 10 hours— just catching up but I was going to say the same thing he did — if you have the cad files he is Def. your guy for 3D modeling / printing for sure. I’d love to see this project rebooted as well!

Just ran back a few pages for fun, had forgotten how frekk’n impressive all the work done was and all so fast! The model is amazing, and the attention to detail - damn!

#974 5 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Well, that sucks, but thanks for the update.
    I thought the job pinteresting took was temporary. Did it turn into something more long-term?

pinteresting was really the man with the skills. I haven't heard from him but I've tried pinging him a few times. He has the original 3D models. Tell you what, I'll fire up the game this week and see if I can at least get some optos working. Though I'm not totally sure they ever did work right. I bought new ones awhile back that I can test. I've got like 4 grand in parts sitting around for this, so I really should at least film an update for you all where the game sits. Give me the week to poke at it and I'll post something. I'm doing multiple projects around the house right now so I don't have a whole lot of time.

4 weeks later
    #975 4 months ago

Here is the status update:

#976 4 months ago
    Quoted from Time:

Here is the status update:

Thanks for posting this! Hopefully it starts moving forward with the others that have said they are still interested in continuing.

#977 4 months ago
    Quoted from Time:

Here is the status update

Looks like it shoots great. Would love to work on the ramps, I can work with whatever you have (even if you just have a 2d of the whitewood playfield and a sketch where you want the ramps to start and end). I can also 3d print samples.

As for possibly making a stainless ramp on the left with magnets, I think that will only work if it's 304 (because it's austentic, which means no iron ore to make it magnetic). 304 can be a little on the soft side unless you get hardened.

#978 4 months ago

Yo! Sorry guys. LOL. I was just dreaming about finishing this baby but I'm stuck here in Louisiana for work....well. No work at the moment but stuck nonetheless. I still intend on finishing this machine but I left the machine that was semi-functional with Time so he could tinker with it while I was here in Louisiana. I just didn't realize that this would end up being such a long term commitment.

I'm reaching out to Time and the others to see if there are things I can do remotely to help move this along.

#979 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinteresting:

I'm reaching out to Time and the others to see if there are things I can do remotely to help move this along.

Awesome. Who says a long-distance relationship can't work??

#980 4 months ago

I'd love to get back on this and finish it. The right ramp was based of an Indiana Jones ramp I had laying around. The left ramp was based of Ironman as far as the shape. The spinning disk was a custom built and printed one. Didn't we have a problem with that as far as voltage or something? Off the shelf Tron one would be reliable, but not sure obtainable. We put so much work and effort into this project, it's packed with features alright!

#981 4 months ago
    Quoted from cleland:

Off the shelf Tron one would be reliable, but not sure obtainable.

What about Twister, Fireball or X-Men?

#982 4 months ago

Sent a couple texts to Time. Haven't heard back yet. I'm planning on heading back to California to pick up my stuff and bring it out here since it looks like work will be running here for another year. I figure that I can swap with Jayson (Time) and drop off his parts and pick up the primary machine to bring here. I've worked on some of the alignment and cnc files and I would actually like to implement some of those changes into this primary machine. I've got more 3D printers here now, so the method would be to print the components and ship the new parts to the California guys to have them install.

For now, I think that's the only way to continue work on this.

#983 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinteresting:

Sent a couple texts to Time. Haven't heard back yet. I'm planning on heading back to California to pick up my stuff and bring it out here since it looks like work will be running here for another year. I figure that I can swap with Jayson (Time) and drop off his parts and pick up the primary machine to bring here. I've worked on some of the alignment and cnc files and I would actually like to implement some of those changes into this primary machine. I've got more 3D printers here now, so the method would be to print the components and ship the new parts to the California guys to have them install.
    For now, I think that's the only way to continue work on this.

Sounds like a plan of attack that will at least move things forward.

What'd you end up doing back there that became so long term?

1 week later
    #985 3 months ago

LOL. Yes. Some very quality films shot here in this little town.

#987 3 months ago

Wow. Do want, but are they still like $14k, though? Let us know how it works out.

#988 3 months ago

very cool machine

#989 3 months ago

Charlie from Spooky Pinball gave a talk at the Golden State Pinball Festival where he mentioned using D.I. Wire. I also found this thread that may be interesting to you https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tools-cnc-wire-bending

#991 3 months ago

These videos are super addictive

#992 3 months ago

Hmmmm.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    #993 3 months ago

I don't mind this pic of Alex, but not the red circle...

#994 3 months ago

Um, wow, this PF is almost ours? I mean, the arcade game and the trailer park sign are in EXACTLY the same spot!

#995 3 months ago

Also, I never thought of it, but a figure could go in for an easy toy somewhere... like SW:EP1 (Jar Jar)

Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpgThe-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpge3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    #996 3 months ago

that video appears to be in italian

#997 3 months ago
    Quoted from bailorgana:

Also, I never thought of it, but a figure could go in for an easy toy somewhere... like SW:EP1 (Jar Jar)
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Forget figures. Do the hologram head on the playfield popping in and out to taunt the player.

#998 3 months ago

LOL. The red circle is a place holder. I'm just screwing around with shapes and colors right now.

#999 3 months ago

The DI Wire machine is about $5K all said and done to run .125" stainless wire on it. It's not a 3D wire cnc as it does not do Z-axis work. Not sure if this will work for the return ramp that we've designed but I think I could redesign it to work.

#1000 3 months ago

Love listening to you "work things out" again John!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.50
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 169.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 125.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 32.00
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    There are 1009 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside