(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.
    #901 5 years ago

Ouch! Get well.

#902 5 years ago

The arclight tomorrow night has a big screen showing of the movie. F y I .

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movie/arclight-presentsthe-last-starfighter?lid=1001

#903 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

ended up getting food poisoning from pizza at work.

*slowly quits chewing and looks suspiciously at the piece of pizza in his hand*

#904 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

mustangpaul Yes but you are too easily impressed. LOL
    I was going to work on the wire form ramps this weekend and ended up getting food poisoning from pizza at work. Two of us are still out today from pizza Friday night from working late. Horrible. I was barely able to drink water over the weekend. I'm still hurting.
    Drink or food was instant convulsions from my stomach.

Who me? I don't think so.

Oh man I hope you reported that place. Hope you feel better soon.

#905 5 years ago

@vec-tor Thanks very much. I feel much better.

@azmodeus Damn. I would never be able to leave work to go see that. That would be amazing to see that on the big screen again.

@thatonedude Be afraid.....be very very afraid

@mustangpaul Maybe not too easily but easily enough? It was Dominoes. They said they would give us free food poisoning next time we order.

#906 5 years ago

I just found this thread. What an amazing project.

#907 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

@vec-tor Thanks very much. I feel much better.
    @azmodeus Damn. I would never be able to leave work to go see that. That would be amazing to see that on the big screen again.
    @thatonedude Be afraid.....be very very afraid
    @mustangpaul Maybe not too easily but easily enough? It was Dominoes. They said they would give us free food poisoning next time we order.

In April 2018 Dominos in santa clarita had a major health inspection fail (and 5 minor points) for unclean surfaces. I'd report your issue to the health department and have them re-inspected to protect others. Sounds like they didn't learn their lesson.

https://ehservices.publichealth.lacounty.gov/

#908 5 years ago

Going for my name in the credits as ideas put forward just kidding

#909 5 years ago

Squeakman Welcome! We'll hopefully shoot some more videos to add to our Youtube channel shortly. Waiting for our boards to come back so we can fire up the machine.

PinMonk I had my assistant call them. One of our guys is still sick

Jackontherocks LOL. Our credits list will be ten miles long!!! Yes!

#910 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland I had my assistant call them. One of our guys is still sick

Plausible deniability because your assistant did it. I like it.

I'm a maniac about checking health inspections for places we eat after we all got sick at a Round Table Pizza years ago. If a place we want to try or have eaten at before gets a major violation (which is the threshold for stuff that can make people sick), they're off the rotation for at least a year, possibly longer. We never went back to the Round Table that made us sick.

#911 5 years ago

PinMonk Hah! She's the one who ordered the pizza in the first place so I blame her anyway.

#912 5 years ago

PinMonk That's not a bad policy to follow. I'm not supposed to eat pizza right now anyway. My wife is mad at me because I've gotten so fat. Once I lose about 40lbs, pizza will be back on the menu.

#913 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland That's not a bad policy to follow. I'm not supposed to eat pizza right now anyway. My wife is mad at me because I've gotten so fat. Once I lose about 40lbs, pizza will be back on the menu.

welcome to the club. I think that pinball errm... pizza makes most of us big, doughy guys

#914 5 years ago

j_m_ Hah. I'm the founder of the pizza club!!!

#915 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

j_m_ Hah. I'm the founder of the pizza club!!!

having pizza for lunch as I type this

#916 5 years ago

I love the terminal strip approach to your machine. I have been using simple terminal strips for my DC distribution in my homebrew in progress.

Would you care to share what products you are using for the DIN mounted terminal blocks, circuit breakers and cable troughs? I want to upgrade and I am inspired by what you have done.

Thank you for the inspiration.

#917 5 years ago

j_m_ LOL. How dare you tempt me!!!!

driskel This is basically what I ordered. I actually ordered a lot more in quantity but I wasn't sure how I was going to do this. UL standards and I believe CE allow you to have 2 wires without ferrules terminated into each terminal block. Just FYI. The thing I like about the terminal blocks is that they are very versatile. The jumper allows you to add as many 5vdc, 12vdc and 48vdc terminals as you'd like, even after the fact. The finger safe fuse holders allow you to connect and disconnect the power supplies while you are working on different aspects of the game also.

I would order fast acting fuses for your fuse holders. I have 3 fuse holders in our machine. They are fusing the 48vdc power supply, the 12/5vdc power supply and the service outlet. Beyond that, we have fuses on the outputs of the power supplies. We are using a Fast Pinball - Filter Board to do this. Really cool board.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#918 5 years ago

These are the FAST Pinball components that we are running in our machine...
    We've been really happy with the Fast Pinball stuff. Really great features and really good people.

FAST Nano Controller qty. 1
    FAST 3208 - I/O Board qty. 2
    FAST 1616 - I/O Board qty. 1
    FAST 0804 - I/O Board qty. 1 (This is a temporary board used for spares, isolation and manual game control)
    FAST Power Filter Board qty. 1
    FAST Smart Fuse Block qty. 1

#919 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

j_m_ LOL. How dare you tempt me!!!!
    driskel This is basically what I ordered. I actually ordered a lot more in quantity but I wasn't sure how I was going to do this. UL standards and I believe CE allow you to have 2 wires without ferrules terminated into each terminal block. Just FYI. The thing I like about the terminal blocks is that they are very versatile. The jumper allows you to add as many 5vdc, 12vdc and 48vdc terminals as you'd like, even after the fact. The finger safe fuse holders allow you to connect and disconnect the power supplies while you are working on different aspects of the game also.
    I would order fast acting fuses for your fuse holders. I have 3 fuse holders in our machine. They are fusing the 48vdc power supply, the 12/5vdc power supply and the service outlet. Beyond that, we have fuses on the outputs of the power supplies. We are using a Fast Pinball - Filter Board to do this. Really cool board.

Thank you for the response and the inspiration.

#920 5 years ago

From my years in gas field automation "Automation Direct" is the best value around.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home

#921 5 years ago

mcbPalisade Yep. We used to use them and Royal Wholesale Electric for a lot of the Allen Bradley stuff

#922 5 years ago

driskel It's my pleasure. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. I'm no expert but I have no problem giving you whatever info I have.

#923 5 years ago

Plan is to have this up and running this coming weekend. I don't think I will have the left ramp completed but I will install the old ramp for the time being if necessary. There will be some functions that will not be programmed but I'm hoping to have this "playable".

#924 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Plan is to have this up and running this coming weekend. I don't think I will have the left ramp completed but I will install the old ramp for the time being if necessary. There will be some functions that will not be programmed but I'm hoping to have this "playable".

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

#925 5 years ago

PinMonk I'm looking forward to building one of these wire form ramps. This'll be a first for me.

2 weeks later
    #926 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland I'm looking forward to building one of these wire form ramps. This'll be a first for me.

So, what happened? Did you get it up and running?

#927 5 years ago

....you got any more.... Of them.... Updates?

#928 5 years ago

Yes. Sorry guys. Works is friggin' busy right now. I'm currently working on the wire form ramps. I had to rethink my strategy and reorder my material. Picture updates coming shortly.

3 weeks later
    #929 5 years ago

Sadness

#930 5 years ago

SpaceGhost

I have another part question for you. Did you form the metal ball guide(s) that feed the trough or did you buy them or re-purpose them from another machine? I am looking for something very similar.

Thanks

#931 5 years ago

Just got the dm pin. Hells yeahhh

#HighFive

#932 5 years ago

Not nearly as cool as your project, but here’s my retropie rig!

3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #933 5 years ago

Anything new on this one been quiet

#934 5 years ago

A bit of an update: our friend and Main designer pinteresting has chased a lifelong dream, but had to move out of state. One of the group picked up the prototype from his house, and in a few weeks we will assess what needs to be done. Stay tuned

#935 5 years ago

Whoa! Sounds like he has given' you guys the green light to finish this project without him which is great. I hope you see this pin to the finish line.

#936 5 years ago

I’m glad you'll be able to pick up where SpaceGhost left off and keep this project going. Good luck moving forward.

The Last Stafighter is one of my all time favourite movies since I was a kid. The designs so far look amazing and I can’t wait to see it come to life.

#937 5 years ago

Best of luck on everything.

#938 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buju:

our friend and Main designer pinteresting has chased a lifelong dream, but had to move out of state

Weren't all those tools (CNC, 3d printers, welders) part of his job? The new job has to be worth it.

1 week later
    #939 5 years ago

Omg so much progress so fast.... Knew it was gonna be too good to last.

Best of luck! Please let us know if you ever get around to this project again. Id love to know how it turns out.

#940 5 years ago

This is why I don't post about projects until they're done. Gets everyone excited but if anything happens - and it usually does - it just leaves them in a lurch!

#941 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

This is why I don't post about projects until they're done. Gets everyone excited but if anything happens - and it usually does - it just leaves them in a lurch!

In a lurch.... Nice.

#942 5 years ago

Pinball is not simple. Real life even intrudes, it seems.

I was able to see some of the early progress myself. I hope everyone involved can keep going if they can. It would be nice to see a finished version!

#943 5 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Pinball is not simple. Real life even intrudes, it seems.

This is why I wouldn't even attempt my own machine.

I thought I wanted to build one early on and subconsciously knew it would never be done. To convince myself of this I thought I would try to tackle the sound part. Bought this Sparkfun board.

Hooked it up and it worked great. Next to get the loop sound. Since the pin theme was (and always will be...) Behind the Green Drop Target I got some actual stupid music that plays in the background while the camera captures two people trying to procreate. Like cheesy elevator music but much campier. Got that looping great, then thought about the callouts. Gave up.

Bravo to those of you that get father than me.

TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNGTsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    1 week later
    #944 5 years ago

Hey. Sorry. I took a job in Louisiana. I'm stuck here for a few more months. When I'm back, I'll be working on the pin again but for now, I'm stuck.

#945 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Hey. Sorry. I took a job in Louisiana. I'm stuck here for a few more months. When I'm back, I'll be working on the pin again but for now, I'm stuck.

Glad to hear you are still interested in finishing this project in time!

#946 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I thought you had moved permanently...great to hear this was a temporary situation.

#947 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Go enjoy some Gumbo and shrimp etouffee! That Louisiana cooking will put on 20lbs. in a week.

3 months later
    #948 5 years ago

Any updates?

#949 5 years ago

Sorry to say there are no updates as of now, other than a member has the prototype game and we have all been in communication to get this project back on.
    I believe in this theme big time, and the members will come through. Stay tuned.....

#950 5 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

Sorry to say there are no updates as of now, other than a member has the prototype game and we have all been in communication to get this project back on.
    I believe in this theme big time, and the members will come through. Stay tuned.....

Do they have it to work on art or some aspect of the game, or are they just essentially storing it for now?

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/19?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.