(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 21.
    #851 5 years ago

New speaker panel layout for TLS.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #852 5 years ago

3 layers and speaker mesh.

#853 5 years ago
    image_uploaded_from_ios (resized).jpgimage_uploaded_from_ios (resized).jpg
    #854 5 years ago

Don't know if this matters, but all the knockers on my machines have a piece of metal that is mounted to the backbox/cabinet that the plunger slams against. Not sure if it is to protect the wood or to make it sound proper.

#855 5 years ago

Hah. This is a temporary main panel. I have some modifications that I'm working on for the layout.

#856 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Hah. This is a temporary main panel. I have some modifications that I'm working on for the layout.

How are you lighting the translite? Static LEDs in the backbox? Or will there be a swing-out B/W style board so you can have spot lighting animation?

#857 5 years ago

PinMonk I'm not sure. Due to the limited space in the box, I think I'm going to have to design a slightly deeper box but it's a bit unclear at the moment. We've just got the speaker panel mounted so things are just now coming together. We had a board blow up on Sunday so that has put a sever damper on things for the moment.

#858 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland I'm not sure. Due to the limited space in the box, I think I'm going to have to design a slightly deeper box but it's a bit unclear at the moment. We've just got the speaker panel mounted so things are just now coming together. We had a board blow up on Sunday so that has put a sever damper on things for the moment.

Fortunately you have to deal with reality like blown boards. I just hang out here and throw ideas at you.

You could also go the route of WPC-95 and have a tray holding the lights attached to the backglass itself. Since LED strips are so much thinner than 555s or 44/47s, you could make that attached tray REALLY thin and it would allow you to have a spot animated backglass using lights, which is something that I miss from the B/W days and would add to the retro feel of the game.

#859 5 years ago

This is all fantastic work. I enjoy reading on the progress.

#860 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

We had a board blow up on Sunday so that has put a sever damper on things for the moment.

But, but, but you said you were past the hard part!

In some ways blowing a board is a rite of passage, as it does indicate you are now getting into the real guts of wiring things up. Hopefully you will still have it flippable for CAX.

My crystal ball sees very little sleep for you.

#861 5 years ago

Azmodeus Thanks very much.

rosh LOL. What does a blown component have to do with difficultly. Probably nothing. Shit happens.

#862 5 years ago

I am truely amazed at this progress in 10 months.

#863 5 years ago

LovelyCoCoNuts Thanks. I truthfully expected to be much closer to complete by now but my work schedule has been really hectic since January. I'm hoping for a break soon.

#864 5 years ago

I'm looking forward to getting into modes and some rules when the game is up and running again. The manufacturing is fairly simple.

#865 5 years ago

Just starting some wireform ramp returns. I'm very much looking forward to making these. This is going to be fun.

#866 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Just starting some wireform ramp returns. I'm very much looking forward to making these. This is going to be fun.

How are you going to go about it? Welding?

#867 5 years ago

Wolfmarsh First pass is going to be soldering 260 brass rods and then plating them. Once they are proven, I'll move to TIG welding stainless steel rods and then electropolishing.

#868 5 years ago

Id love to see the process, on wire forms. excited to follow along.

#869 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

First pass is going to be soldering 260 brass rods and then plating them. Once they are proven, I'll move to TIG welding stainless steel rods and then electropolishing.

Ben did this while prototyping AMH. I forget how long they lasted, but at least long enough to test out the whitewood and bring it to the MGC show.

#870 5 years ago

@flipordie Ok. I'll try to document it as best I can. I'm no expert by any means. This'll be a first for me.

@toyotaboy What is AMH?

#871 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

@flipordie Ok. I'll try to document it as best I can. I'm no expert by any means. This'll be a first for me.
    @toyotaboy What is AMH?

America's Most Haunted

#872 5 years ago

AMH is America's Most Haunted, the Spooky pin I think...

#873 5 years ago

Oh. Ok. Duh. Yep. Yeah.

#874 5 years ago

The idea is to cut these 1/8" thick brass ribs to grab the 1/8" rod once it's formed. That should give me a good wide surface to solder. Once these are soldered, they will be plated. The plating should help strengthen the overall construction a bit.

"How are you planning on forming the wires?"
    Since this is completely modeled in 3D, I'm able to create forms with holes in them that should allow me to position my wires where they need to go. I have a couple ideas on how I'm going to do this but not sure if they will work or not. This is going to be fun.

wire form (resized).pngwire form (resized).png

#875 5 years ago

So this is the plan...
    I traced the footprint of the ribs (yellow outlines). I extruded the footprints so they create blocks that intersect the rails. I used the rails to punch holes through the blocks which transfers their position vertically and horizontally (notice that the holes get lower on the blocks). Now, I'll take the blocks and make them into 2D outlines and I'll cut those blocks out of aluminum or something that will not take solder. I'll mount them down to a plate and I'll start replacing them one at a time with a rib that will get soldered to the rails.
    Footprints (resized).pngFootprints (resized).pngFootprints (resized).pngFootprints (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #876 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

America's Most Haunted

Here's the video showing a closer look at his early wireform ramps, you can see the solder joints

#877 5 years ago

Yeah. That game is great. I really liked it when I got to play it. I could've bought two pinball machines for what I've spent on this machine so far. I haven't told my wife what the costs are so far. She'd kill me.

#878 5 years ago

toyotaboy Yeah. Those rails are basically the same as what I'm doing. Mine will be quite a bit more stout and might actually hold up for a long time but the idea is to replace them with stainless rails or steel that is plated. I just love overdoing.

#879 5 years ago

The wire forms for horizontal shape.

#880 5 years ago

The current state of the design. Nothing more....yet.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #881 5 years ago

It looks awesome.

#882 5 years ago

agree with Fifty , looks awesome

#883 5 years ago

Fifty swinks Thanks. It's nice to be concentrating on the functions now vs. the overall design. I imagine that we have one, maybe two more revisions of the playfield to go before we lock this down.

#884 5 years ago

I see targets behind the up/down target assembly...
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Awesome.

#885 5 years ago

Yeah. This is still a work-in-progress. Like I said, I think we are still about 2 playfield versions away from locking this down.

#886 5 years ago

Make sure the attrack mode sequence goes on and off like the arcade game to draw you over to play the pin

#887 5 years ago

And at the end you must decide to defend the galaxy or go back to normal life, maybe two different match endings, just random thoughts

#888 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

And at the end you must decide to defend the galaxy or go back to normal life, maybe two different match endings, just random thoughts

Oh that's a good one, just like in the movie.

#889 5 years ago

Jackontherocks LOL. I believe we are doing story modes but we're still more heavily into the mechanics stage right now. That's a great suggestion for sure though.

MustangPaul I really like story mode rules in modern pins. It gives you a good sense of progression.

#890 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

jackontherocks LOL. I believe we are doing story modes but we're still more heavily into the mechanics stage right now. That's a great suggestion for sure though.
    mustangpaul I really like story mode rules in modern pins. It gives you a good sense of progression.

I think they're talking about the attract mode and the match for replay. Attract mode totally makes sense. Great idea. The game goes on and off like when Centauri is getting close. Maybe it only does it every 10 min or something.

Could also do that w/ the mini game inside the pin!

#891 5 years ago

bailorgana Ah. Ok. Yeah. That would make sense for sure.

#892 5 years ago

I wish someone would make an American McGee’s Alice in Wonderland pinball machine. That would be some cool stuff. Always really liked the artwork.

#893 5 years ago

Ah, yeah, I was wanting to play that game years ago based on the art, but somehow never got around to it. That would make a killer theme, especially if you could use holograms to make the Cheshire Cat show up in various places.

#894 5 years ago

ThatOneDude Yeah. I really think the artwork is fantastic and creepy and would make a really lush looking machine. It's a really cool twist on the old story.

#895 5 years ago

Oh dang. I just searched and saw that Popaduik was making an Alice in Wonderland machine. Well, I think an American McGee Alice would be way cooler long run anyway.

#896 5 years ago

I've been spending time catching the model up to the current playfield with cutouts and modifications that we've already made. Hole sizes, etc. It's becoming a ton more work as we move on. I'm glad we're onto the easy part.

The modeling portion isn't really necessary but it allows us to visualize while we can't all be around the actual machine.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #897 5 years ago

Quite impressive!

#898 5 years ago

Topher5000 Oh Thank God someone is. LOL.

Thanks for the encouraging words. We're getting there.

#899 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

topher5000 Oh Thank God someone is. LOL.
    Thanks for the encouraging words. We're getting there.

Hey I think it's impressive too.

#900 5 years ago

MustangPaul Yes but you are too easily impressed. LOL

I was going to work on the wire form ramps this weekend and ended up getting food poisoning from pizza at work. Two of us are still out today from pizza Friday night from working late. Horrible. I was barely able to drink water over the weekend. I'm still hurting.

Drink or food was instant convulsions from my stomach.

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/18?hl=flipordie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.