(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 21.
    #801 5 years ago

looks very nice so far. any thoughts as to what might be going in the large, open area from the flippers to midway up?

#802 5 years ago

Wolfmarsh Thanks. Yeah. It's starting to look like a pinball playfield.

PinPatch Those are the new version 3 bumpers we've designed.

#803 5 years ago

j_m_ We have some ideas but right now, we're leaving it clear until we get some plays in on this current layout.

#804 5 years ago

necuri?

* nevermind, I see it's Centauri if you go from bottom left, upper playfield, then down the right side.

You know I was just thinking, it would be interesting if you did some sort of ball lock with a swinging door like the yellow eyepiece

#805 5 years ago

toyotaboy Ahahhahha. Not the eyepiece!!!! That thing is hilarious.

#806 5 years ago

looking great guys, well done

#807 5 years ago

That eye piece would be a great outlane ball save, like what Star Wars Premium does. Electric Gate on the right side, with the "We Die" audio if you hit the other outlane.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

necuri?
    * nevermind, I see it's Centauri if you go from bottom left, upper playfield, then down the right side.
    You know I was just thinking, it would be interesting if you did some sort of ball lock with a swinging door like the yellow eyepiece

#808 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

lovelycoconuts Hah. Well, it's just 100's of hours of design. I'll most likely drop anything the we design for this machine specifically up on the net for others to hack up and use as they see fit.

You can set the copyright restrictions on thingiverse.

Hmm... Now to find a 3d printer I can afford. Sweet!

200.gif200.gif
    #809 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

You can set the copyright restrictions on thingiverse.
    Hmm... Now to find a 3d printer I can afford. Sweet!

monoprice select v2, $300. $200 if you buy refurb. i have 2.

#811 5 years ago

That seems so cheap. If I had, say, $600 to spend is there any benefit in a different model? What's the price cutoff?

I'm most interested in easiest, least likely to screw up and print quality.

#812 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

That seems so cheap. If I had, say, $600 to spend is there any benefit in a different model? What's the price cutoff?
    I'm most interested in easiest, least likely to screw up and print quality.

$600 gets you a prusa mk2 (which i own) which adds a little speed, and self leveling. an extra $150 gets you much more features on the mk3 but theres like a 3 month backlog.

#813 5 years ago

jwilson toyotaboy We have 6 of the raise3d printers here and we have 4 of the Creality Ender-3 printers. I have personally, 5 of the Creality CR-10 printers at home. The Raise3d printers do a great job and are workhorse printers. The CR-10s are great for large parts like the ramps and things. The ender-3 produces the same quality of parts as the Raise3d printers.

I'm blown away by the quality of the Ender-3 printers. Really simple machines but really great for the price.

#814 5 years ago

I've got a gen1 I3 that I need retrofit. I used an E3D Lite6 extruder/hot end kit, and it is a champ. My son uses a DaVinci Jr that we got on a deep discount, and it is pretty good for small, simple projects. But the XYZ software kinda sucks for anything more complicated, and you are stuck with using their proprietary filament.

#815 5 years ago

This is the new layout for the condensed main panel.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #816 5 years ago

Looks great! Very X-Men-ish layout which is definitely a positive! Love the ship!

#817 5 years ago

I cut the panel tonight and inserted the threaded blind rivets. Took forever!!!

IMG_7117 (resized).jpegIMG_7117 (resized).jpegIMG_7118 (resized).jpegIMG_7118 (resized).jpeg
    #818 5 years ago

I used 1/8" 6061 Aluminum for the backplane and 8-32 blind rivets inserts. I've never used them before. I should have bought the expensive tool to insert them.

#819 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I used 1/8" 6061 Aluminum for the backplane and 8-32 blind rivets inserts.

Very nice, threaded rivets, great idea!

#820 5 years ago

Well, I didn't really have much choice. Either I go with thicker heavier material or I go thinner and add threaded inserts.

#821 5 years ago
    IMG_7133 (resized).jpegIMG_7133 (resized).jpegIMG_7134 (resized).jpegIMG_7134 (resized).jpegIMG_7135 (resized).jpegIMG_7135 (resized).jpeg
    #822 5 years ago

the ADD in me is not happy with the scratches seen on that metal sheet!!!

#823 5 years ago

j_m_ HAHA. Me either. I just don't have enough time to fix it right now. My left eye twitches when I look at this thing. We've been working from 6am to about 10pm every night this week so I just haven't been able to get much done on this machine and it's freaking me out.

#824 5 years ago

I didn't see this item in the line. Perhaps it should be a mod. If you would like I could start modeling it.

Centauri's Car

centauri_car (resized).pngcentauri_car (resized).png
    #825 5 years ago

Walamab Yeah!!! We just haven't gotten to that point where we're adding the toys. Trying to work in the trailers and other things. LOL.

#827 5 years ago

toyotaboy LOL. Yeah. I wish the car was a little cooler looking too. Pretty awful design.

#828 5 years ago

Yeah, lets keep the car out...it's pretty bad.

#829 5 years ago

Idk, I always liked the car. At least have it in a cut scene. I would want a model of it somewhere.

#830 5 years ago

swillie LOL. I guess it has somewhat of an appeal to it... 80's style.

#831 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

jwilson toyotaboy We have 6 of the raise3d printers here and we have 4 of the Creality Ender-3 printers. I have personally, 5 of the Creality CR-10 printers at home. The Raise3d printers do a great job and are workhorse printers. The CR-10s are great for large parts like the ramps and things. The ender-3 produces the same quality of parts as the Raise3d printers.
    I'm blown away by the quality of the Ender-3 printers. Really simple machines but really great for the price.

fk I want a cr10.

I bought a Ender 3. I am looking into extending the work area, I saw a video about a cr10 with 1000mm extrusions LOL

I may do the 500mm extrusions on the z axis on my ender 3, so I can atleast print taller, but my x bar putting my z axis out of wack

I know this is a bit off topic, but could you please share your ender 3 CURA profile settings file with me... I am all over the place with them.

I did just work out a 80mm/sec print speed running 215c solutech pla. I have 50x50x15 blowers, and buck converters coming tomorrow so I can setup octoprint, camera, and some led lights on it.

I got a warped heat bed, so I am waiting to find out what amazon is going to do to fix it... The x bar is also binding, I may have to take it apart tomorrow and readjust and them reassemble it. if nothing else... I may return and just get a CR-10, as at least those can be incrementally upgraded to larger print area, as well as dual extrusions.

latest test https://klovimg.com/images/2018/07/10/20180710_062244.md.jpg

#832 5 years ago

Pfft. The ender 3 is better than the cr-10 except for the build area.

IMG_7144 (resized).jpegIMG_7144 (resized).jpegIMG_7145 (resized).jpegIMG_7145 (resized).jpegIMG_7146 (resized).jpegIMG_7146 (resized).jpegIMG_7147 (resized).jpegIMG_7147 (resized).jpeg
    #833 5 years ago

I need to see if jetting off to CAX over my wife’s birthday would be a bad idea or not... I would love to play this game and meet everyone in person. The game is looking so great! Everyone has done such great work!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#834 5 years ago

The majority of the hard work is done at this point. There are several things that we are working on that will not be ready for CAX unfortunately. The new main panel was wired by @time. Did a really great job.

I ended up crimping every wire with a molex pin. Holy crap my hand is sore.

#835 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

The majority of the hard work is done at this point.

ROFLMAO

#836 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I ended up crimping every wire with a molex pin. Holy crap my hand is sore.

crimping pins always sucks. even with a good crimper if you have a do a lot of them

#837 5 years ago

This hardware was clearly done by a PLC guy ( - :

#838 5 years ago

rosh What?
    j_m_ Yep. I have a Mac Tool crimper that is fantastic but.... It's manual. Totally sucks when you crimp twice on 300+ pins
    mcbPalisade LOL. How'd you guess! Used to work for an automation controls company for several years designing electrical and doing some ladder logic.

#839 5 years ago

I find it quite funny that you think you are 'past the majority of the hard work', I think there is plenty of hard work ahead, based on your comment, more than you realize. But I'm sure you will enjoy it just the same.

#840 5 years ago

rosh Nah. It's ALL smooth sailing from here.

#841 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

rosh Nah. It's ALL smooth sailing from here.

Looking forward to checking it out at California Extreme, I'm sure it will be playing great, since you are pass the hard part.

#842 5 years ago

rosh Oh crap. Is it supposed to work? We'll be lucky if it's playable being that we still haven't terminated any of the wiring. LOL

#843 5 years ago

TLS #2 is getting it body assembled.

IMG_7151 (resized).jpegIMG_7151 (resized).jpegIMG_7152 (resized).jpegIMG_7152 (resized).jpegIMG_7153 (resized).jpegIMG_7153 (resized).jpegIMG_7154 (resized).jpegIMG_7154 (resized).jpegIMG_7155 (resized).jpegIMG_7155 (resized).jpegIMG_7156 (resized).jpegIMG_7156 (resized).jpegIMG_7157 (resized).jpegIMG_7157 (resized).jpeg
    #844 5 years ago

those cabinet joints look a bit too solid. how come you're not building it like the awesome stern cabinets, we've come to love and hate?

interesting corner braces used there while everything sets up

#845 5 years ago

Those are called Miter Clamps. They are designed, specifically, to hold corners together while gluing is in process or even just for nailing.
    https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Miter-Assortment-Pliers-25-Piece/dp/B0763ZZTP9/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

#846 5 years ago

they don't mar up the wood?

nevermind, reading the description on amazon.com I see that they do pierce the wood, so they are areas that you have to fill and sand afterwards

#847 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Those are called Miter Clamps. They are designed, specifically, to hold corners together while gluing is in process or even just for nailing

These are handy too for corners, won't mar up the surface if you use a thin piece of metal:
    https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Corner-Capacity-Clamps-Woodworking/dp/B078JZDFZ6/ref=sr_1_59

#848 5 years ago

j_m_ Yes. They add a small pierce hole but you just fill with wood filler. Filling is very quick and easy.

toyotaboy Yep. I have those also. They are good for upper or bottom corners. You still need the miter clamps for mid sections.

#849 5 years ago

The lock miter is a bit of a trick to get right without a good setup. You definitely need a router table to make these cuts properly. One cut is done with the board flat on the router table. The joining piece is cut while standing on end. You router needs a gate / wall.

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.58.07 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.58.07 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.58.34 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.58.34 AM (resized).png
    #850 5 years ago

The latest stepper test. I'm currently running at 6volts. I may up it to 12 volts but everything seems to be running really well

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/17?hl=flynnsbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.