(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 21.
    #751 5 years ago

We're bringing the whitewood cabinet to California Extreme July 28th - 29th in Santa Clara, CA. Come meet us there and see TLS homebrew in person.

#752 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I am looking forward to the final build up from the whitewood.
    Have playfield graphics been finalized???
    For my project it seems im going the route of OPP + MPF. The new opp planks seem to be a great step in the right direction.

We're using Fast Pinball controllers and MPF v0.50

#754 5 years ago

I meant to post this before clear coating had started but this is the playfield for TLS #2. This version will actually have some minor upgrades to it that TLS #1 doesn't. Nothing major but still upgraded.

IMG_6974-1 (resized).jpegIMG_6974-1 (resized).jpegIMG_6978-1 (resized).jpegIMG_6978-1 (resized).jpeg
    #755 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I meant to post this before clear coating had started but this is the playfield for TLS #2. This version will actually have some minor upgrades to it that TLS #1 doesn't. Nothing major but still upgraded.

Why didn't you go RGB with all the inserts for maximum flexibility? Expense? Complexity?

#756 5 years ago

PinMonk We will with some stuff but we're not fond of the rgb lighting strips

#757 5 years ago

PinMonk Part of the intention with this project is to make the machine appear as though it was manufactured in 1997

#758 5 years ago

I used some colored inserts in Spaceballs too, because I personally think a colored insert in some cases looks better than a clear insert with a RGB LED.

#759 5 years ago

Wolfmarsh Agreed. They still look good when the machine is off.

#760 5 years ago

Hah. Check this out.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #761 5 years ago

No....Not my battery being nearly dead. Not the wood filler either (even though I forgot it).

The first name of on the list.

#762 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

No....Not my battery being nearly dead. Not the wood filler either (even though I forgot it).

You have Starfighter alumni now! Pressure mounting. But then again, maybe you can rope him into the project for some fresh music bits that match the movie score...

#763 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

That's really cool.

#764 5 years ago

hah. I doubt that he's really THAT interested in the project. I'm sure there is some licensing issue with that also.

#765 5 years ago

Fast is too expensive and cramped. I want something that can actually be fixed...

Did I miss the playfield gfx post???

#766 5 years ago

Fast is too expensive and cramped. I want something that can actually be fixed...

This thread has a key post index you can check for highlights of the thread. No pf graphics post yet.

#767 5 years ago

PinMonk Yeah. Unfortunately, I ran into that problem already where I blew up a diode on the i/o board and it burned the pad off the circuit board. Ended up having to buy a new board.

It doesn't look like it reparable.

#768 5 years ago

We are having internal discussions on comic style or photoshop style artwork. I think a tasteful combination of both is what's going to happen.

#769 5 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

We are having internal discussions on comic style or photoshop style artwork. I think a tasteful combination of both is what's going to happen.

Are you contracting it or one of your group handling it?

If you're going for a 80's-90's pinball vibe, drawn is the way to go.

#770 5 years ago

PinMonk Agreed. I think we are headed mostly that direction but there may be a combination of movie poster/dvd cover artwork on the machine also.

#771 5 years ago

We decided not to bother with wiring things nicely. We're using hot glue and bubblegum to hold the wires down. It's just temporary.

IMG_7038 (resized).jpegIMG_7038 (resized).jpegIMG_7039 (resized).jpegIMG_7039 (resized).jpegIMG_7040 (resized).jpegIMG_7040 (resized).jpegIMG_7041 (resized).jpegIMG_7041 (resized).jpegIMG_7042 (resized).jpegIMG_7042 (resized).jpegIMG_7043 (resized).jpegIMG_7043 (resized).jpegIMG_7044 (resized).jpegIMG_7044 (resized).jpeg
    #772 5 years ago

Looks pretty neat to me. Genuinely excited for this build, it is a great theme and looks like you are on track to do it justice.

#773 5 years ago

swillie Kidding. We just wired the components. This will be super clean and organized. I have one of those issues where my eye will start twitching uncontrollably if the wiring is a mess. What's that called again?

#774 5 years ago

I hope we do this title justice. Really looking forward to some basic rules. For CAX, I think we're only going to have functions running.

#775 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

This will be super clean and organized. I have one of those issues where my eye will start twitching uncontrollably if the wiring is a mess. What's that called again?

Lonely.

#776 5 years ago

PinMonk Yeah. That's correct. That's a lot of wiring in the garage by myself while my wife watches TV.

#777 5 years ago

It was great to have almost everyone come out on Sunday to the shop and get hands on. We got a lot of the parts mounted. The difficult parts still need to be mounted and/or manufactured but getting a lot of this out of the way is nice.

#778 5 years ago

Ugh. Version 8 looks like our winner. Until we get into a reinforced final version 9. Yes. I go in full version numbers.

It costs about $6.50 to print this entire thing. The servo is about $15 and the hardware about $1.50. Pololu Maestro is about $40 I think.

202194D0-C340-4236-9675-B6AEDD9D343B (resized).jpeg202194D0-C340-4236-9675-B6AEDD9D343B (resized).jpeg6D22E8EC-66DB-424B-A0A9-879929FB3245 (resized).jpeg6D22E8EC-66DB-424B-A0A9-879929FB3245 (resized).jpegD00745FA-CA06-4DC9-BA62-5AE121FDC86C (resized).jpegD00745FA-CA06-4DC9-BA62-5AE121FDC86C (resized).jpegD70C12CD-BB69-4F96-87DA-4BE188D2409C (resized).jpegD70C12CD-BB69-4F96-87DA-4BE188D2409C (resized).jpeg

#779 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Ugh. Version 8 looks like our winner. Until we get into a reinforced final version 9. Yes. I go in full version numbers.
    It costs about $6.50 to print this entire thing. The servo is about $15 and the hardware about $1.50. Pololu Maestro is about $40 I think.

Why not go with the SEGA ones that are translucent colors that can be lit from below? The oblong would look cool, but they have round ones, too.

Rectangular
    sega-targets (resized).jpgsega-targets (resized).jpg

Square
    Square-SEGA-target (resized).jpgSquare-SEGA-target (resized).jpgsega-square-front-mount-targets (resized).jpgsega-square-front-mount-targets (resized).jpg

Round
    round sega targets (resized).jpground sega targets (resized).jpg

#780 5 years ago

Wow! That target bank is a thing of beauty.

#781 5 years ago

I thought that the stern drop target banks were big, but in that 2nd photo, that thing looks monstrous (that is unless, you've got little baby hands

looks very nice indeed!

#782 5 years ago

It's pretty big. Slightly overkill but that's primarily because of the printed material. I have to make things somewhat thick and heavy walled to withstand a beating.

#783 5 years ago

PinMonk Wow. I've never seen those before. Really cool. I'll check that out. I think we are locked in to the current assembly but I'm definitely interested in those. Really cool.

#784 5 years ago

Here's the rough bench test of the stepper motor for the spinning disc rig. P.S. I'm whispering because I'm at work.

#785 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland Wow. I've never seen those before. Really cool. I'll check that out. I think we are locked in to the current assembly but I'm definitely interested in those. Really cool.

Happy to give you more work to do in the service of a cooler pin! I can talk about this stuff all day, you're the one that has to sort through the crap and execute the good stuff.

Terry at Pinball Life has all those flavors of target.

#786 5 years ago

Those Sega targets play like total garbage, in my opinion - they have zero bounce and feel clunky, and are "kinetically unsatisfying". I've always hated them.

#787 5 years ago

jwilson Hah. That's what my wife said about me. "You're kinetically unsatisfying!" I'm not sure if that was a compliment or a jab.

#788 5 years ago

The ol' Spinning Disc motor mount version 1. The acrylic ring with the tape around it will go away. That piece is only to help center it on the playfield when I mount it.

IMG_7069 (resized).jpegIMG_7069 (resized).jpegIMG_7070 (resized).jpegIMG_7070 (resized).jpegIMG_7071 (resized).jpegIMG_7071 (resized).jpegIMG_7072 (resized).jpegIMG_7072 (resized).jpeg
    #789 5 years ago

There are so few pinball parts on thingiverse.... I am amazed on the parts designed here... Especially that spinner and drop target.

#790 5 years ago

LovelyCoCoNuts Hah. Well, it's just 100's of hours of design. I'll most likely drop anything the we design for this machine specifically up on the net for others to hack up and use as they see fit.

#791 5 years ago

Looks great so far. fantastic work all around. Was looking forward to seeing those optical spinners in action. reminds me of the spinners in orbitor 1. Which work on the same type of system.

I would be worried by having mounting on the side and top of that movable target bank. Ball impacts are going to destroy that. slight air ball or shots off to the side a bit are just going to reek havoc on that. Usually best to leave them kind of open.

#792 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Here's the rough bench test of the stepper motor for the spinning disc rig. P.S. I'm whispering because I'm at work.

Is that an I2C stepper controller? We could control that from MPF using I2C with the Trinket as USB-I2C bridge if you want. MPF already has some stepper control so this would not be that much work.

Jan

#793 5 years ago

Time Depending on how much programming you have on your plate, we can look into controlling it from MPF.

jabdoa This was just easier for the time being. The trinket is controlling multiple preset programs that the fast controller can just call on based on 3 or 4 outputs. We may redo this at a later date depending on how well this works.

#794 5 years ago

Happy Independence Day!!!

#795 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Happy Independence Day!!!

Independent on getting a bunch of Sh!t done and a flipping game in 3 weeks.
    Yes, Happy indeed!

#797 5 years ago

Well, we got a lot done this past week. Still working on this new version but it's looking good. cleland and Time were out here at the shop working all day in the HEAT!!!!

IMG_7099 (resized).jpegIMG_7099 (resized).jpegIMG_7100 (resized).jpegIMG_7100 (resized).jpegIMG_7101 (resized).jpegIMG_7101 (resized).jpegIMG_7102 (resized).jpegIMG_7102 (resized).jpeg
    #798 5 years ago

Not bad for a white wood.

#799 5 years ago

Looking great!!!

#800 5 years ago

Are the screwdrivers making the production model?

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/16?hl=tim_may and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.