(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.
    #701 5 years ago

toyotaboy Iges would be great. Just looking for place holders to place into my model to determine spacing, etc.

Would it be too much to trouble you for the following?

Your stern spinner model in iges format
    There are a couple of other models on pinballmakers that I could use if anyone would be so kind as to convert them for me...
    Williams ball trough model
    wpc Pop Bumper
    Williams inlane
    Opto base
    Shooter lane kicker assembly

#702 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

toyotaboy Iges would be great. Just looking for place holders to place into my model to determine spacing, etc.
    Would it be too much to trouble you for the following?
    Your stern spinner model in iges format
    There are a couple of other models on pinballmakers that I could use if anyone would be so kind as to convert them for me...
    Williams ball trough model
    wpc Pop Bumper
    Williams inlane
    Opto base
    Shooter lane kicker assembly

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkykop2nkftd7fp/LSF_step.zip?dl=0

#703 5 years ago

toyotaboy BAM! Thank you so much!!! I just felt like dropping real components in to better understand how crowded it was getting.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #704 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

better understand how crowded it was getting.

Starting to look like a real playfield

#705 5 years ago

toyotaboy I know right?!? Finally! Thanks again so much. I really appreciate it.

Started printing the new version 8 - motorized target assembly. Just got some of the parts out for TLS#1 and this is the second set for TLS#2.

IMG_6921 (resized).jpegIMG_6921 (resized).jpegIMG_6923 (resized).jpegIMG_6923 (resized).jpeg
    #706 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

toyotaboy I know right?!? Finally! Thanks again so much. I really appreciate it.
    Started printing the new version 8 - motorized target assembly. Just got some of the parts out for TLS#1 and this is the second set for TLS#2.

Honestly if you're going to the trouble of making a motorized bank, a Dr. Who-style Time Expander would be a welcome sight in a pin again (and a better pin).

#707 5 years ago

Please make the opto spinner, so we can at least see how it works in real life. It should really rip!

#708 5 years ago

Ha. Well, I'm going to make it anyway just to test so i'll shoot some video of it working.

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Ha. Well, I'm going to make it anyway just to test so i'll shoot some video of it working.

Attaboy!

#710 5 years ago

Here's the current backbox test rig running power supply, filtering, CPU, audio amp, LCD controller, fast nodes, and fast nano controller. Setting up to test how I'm going to make the coin door service switches actually control the audio volume with some kind of on screen display. Going to be working on that this week. I made an speaker test rig to try out some speakers too and I think they sound pretty decent IMO. Its stupid loud. Thanks SpaceGhost for the molex set. I added a disconnect for my speaker panel to make it all nice nice.

IMG_0330 (resized).JPGIMG_0330 (resized).JPG

IMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPG

#711 5 years ago

Man I love these home-brew pin threads. This is going in my favourites with all the others Good job!

#712 5 years ago

Time Totally excited to see that rig in person!

My progress over the weekend didn't seem as drastic but here goes.

New version 8 motorized target bank. I may try to do something a bit more exciting in the future. Right now we are trying to get things up and running to prove the new layout. There's going to be a ton of fine tuning in the late portion of this project.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Honestly if you're going to the trouble of making a motorized bank, a Dr. Who-style Time Expander would be a welcome sight in a pin again (and a better pin).

As far as the playfield goes, I should have everything pretty much mounted by this coming weekend. There are some rail changes that have occurred that need to be addressed but other than that. We pretty much have every component necessary to put this together. I'm going to transfer the old ramps to the new playfield for the time being so I'm not scrambling to get them done.

Very excited to have this up and running again in the next week.

IMG_6926 (resized).jpegIMG_6926 (resized).jpegIMG_6927 (resized).jpegIMG_6927 (resized).jpegIMG_6928 (resized).jpegIMG_6928 (resized).jpegIMG_6929 (resized).jpegIMG_6929 (resized).jpegIMG_6930 (resized).jpegIMG_6930 (resized).jpegIMG_6944 (resized).jpegIMG_6944 (resized).jpegIMG_6945 (resized).jpegIMG_6945 (resized).jpegIMG_6946 (resized).jpegIMG_6946 (resized).jpeg
    #713 5 years ago

BTW....We are planning on taking this rig to Pin-a-go-go 2018 in Dixon, CA in October. Anyone else planning on going to this?

https://www.pin-a-go-go.org/

#714 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

BTW....We are planning on taking this rig to Pin-a-go-go 2018 in Dixon, CA in October. Anyone else planning on going to this?

Sweet, looking forward to seeing this in person. I am in awe of your speed of development. I wish I was moving as fast.

-Jim

#715 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

You just made my day! I'll be there!

#716 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Looks like I'm going to Dixon.

#717 5 years ago

...or, if you are in California, you are always welcome to come down and play it once we've got it set up.

#718 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

...or, if you are in California, you are always welcome to come down and play it once we've got it set up.

Are you on the same side of the road as Magic Mountain? There was nothing there but desert and Magic Mountain when I grew up around there 40+ years ago.

#719 5 years ago

PinMonk Hah. no. Other side. Valencia, Saugus, Newhall side.

I grew up here since my high school days. I moved to South Pasadena when I got married. We moved back here about 12 years ago.

#720 5 years ago

Looks like we are having difficulty locking down Pin-a-go-go. More of our group can make CA Extreme at the end of July. Looks like we are shooting for that.

Hope we can meet up with some of you there.

#721 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland Hah. no. Other side. Valencia, Saugus, Newhall side.
    I grew up here since my high school days. I moved to South Pasadena when I got married. We moved back here about 12 years ago.

Hah. I know that area, too. My grandma had property at the end of Newhall avenue by the park and the high school when I was growing up.

#722 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

More of our group can make CA Extreme at the end of July. Looks like we are shooting for that.

Dammit! That's...oh, wait, I go to every show around here that I can. Works for me

#723 5 years ago

Oh man. I just watched Mannequin. That movie is totally 80's craptacular! The soundtrack is ultra special 80's.

If you've never seen it. Do yourself a favor and rent it. It's horrible but great at the same time. Not as good as Wraith but good nonetheless.

#724 5 years ago

Is that the one with Kim Cattrall?

#725 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I just watched Mannequin. That movie is totally 80's craptacular!

There's very few films I haven't seen from the 80s (local video rental was my friend growing up). I always wonder what movies will hold up over time. Goonies seems to be one that doesn't. I've seen many people review it just seeing it now, and they all say it's boring and there's too much screaming. All I see is nostalgia goodness when I watch it.

* PS just don't watch mannequin 2, it IS bad

#726 5 years ago

mannequin was 80s goodness and during a time when kim cattrall was smoking hot. the sequel, as toyotaboy mentioned was utter crap

it's weird how our tastes change as we get older (and things that we remember were awesome back in our youth, are not so much any more. certain movies, even as cheesy as they were back in the day, still hold up pretty well (caddyshack, ferris bueller's day off, doc hollywood) probably even more so because we're still quoting them to this day

#727 5 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Is that the one with Kim Cattrall?

Yep. That's the one. It's pretty bad but really good 80's bad. You know what I'm sayin'?

Quoted from toyotaboy:

There's very few films I haven't seen from the 80s (local video rental was my friend growing up). I always wonder what movies will hold up over time. Goonies seems to be one that doesn't. I've seen many people review it just seeing it now, and they all say it's boring and there's too much screaming. All I see is nostalgia goodness when I watch it.
    * PS just don't watch mannequin 2, it IS bad

Actually, I know that I'm one of two people in the world who think so but I never liked Goonies. Just never hit home with me. Ok. I'll never watch Mannequin 2.

Quoted from j_m_:

mannequin was 80s goodness and during a time when kim cattrall was smoking hot. the sequel, as toyotaboy mentioned was utter crap
    it's weird how our tastes change as we get older (and things that we remember were awesome back in our youth, are not so much any more. certain movies, even as cheesy as they were back in the day, still hold up pretty well (caddyshack, ferris bueller's day off, doc hollywood) probably even more so because we're still quoting them to this day

Oh man. She was hot! Actually, she's still hot! IMO. I'd still let her go out with me.

#728 5 years ago

Our Spinning disc mechanism for now.

#729 5 years ago
    TLS Spinning Disc V1 (resized).pngTLS Spinning Disc V1 (resized).png
    #730 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Actually, I know that I'm one of two people in the world who think so but I never liked Goonies. Just never hit home with me. Ok. I'll never watch Mannequin 2.

Watch mannequin 2 just for the sake of watching it.

#731 5 years ago

Wolfmarsh Oh man. Kristy Swanson. LOL. I had no idea there was a Mannequin 2.

#732 5 years ago

Totally forgot that Catherine Mary Stewart was in Weekend at Bernies!

MV5BMTYxOTA4NzY1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjAxNTc3NA@@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BMTYxOTA4NzY1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjAxNTc3NA@@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    #733 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

weekend at bernie's was certainly a classic. even the sequel was decent with the voodoo guys.

#734 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

and 'night of the comet'! yet another "campy" movie that holds its own today
    catherine mary stewart (resized).jpgcatherine mary stewart (resized).jpg

#735 5 years ago

Yep. Catherine is a good lookin' woman.

#736 5 years ago

Ok. This is my chosen setup to run the nema 17 stepper that will control the spinning disc. I don't think that I will mount it to the assembly but who knows.
    Adafruit Trinket 5v and Adafruit Stepper Driver

IMG_6953 (resized).jpegIMG_6953 (resized).jpeg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#737 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I think your over complicating a simple idea.

#738 5 years ago

That's really cool. Yeah. I think you've got something there.

#739 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I like how you snuck Doc Hollywood in there. I mean "Cars v.1".

#740 5 years ago

FWIW, I am one of the team members of "6 Pack Pinball" pushing for the the opto spinner, it's a brilliant idea SpaceGhost has engineered. It will be implemented on my personal game for sure. He loves extra work We've only gone through like 11 versions of just about everything. I think this flipping white wood will be the final layout though.

#741 5 years ago

Thanks everyone- fascinating thread so far. I imagine now is when the real fun starts- getting the bugs out.

No love for the Goonies?? Is that even possible? Now that would be a pinball.
    “I smell ice cream..” have to say this every time I go down the ice cream aisle. Ruth, ruth...BABY!, ruth..

#742 5 years ago

Trogdor Hah. I know. I know. I don't know why I don't like it but dang. I just don't.

#743 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

No love for the Goonies?? Is that even possible? Now that would be a pinball

Jesus, imagine a mode where you miss a shot and part of the playfield drops down. I have some ideas on how it would work, but that would be such a brutal mode

#744 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Please make the opto spinner, so we can at least see how it works in real life. It should really rip!

Capcom made these - I have some used ones from flipper football

#745 5 years ago

OK. So several of us are confirmed for CA Extreme. @time, myself and cleland for sure.

#746 5 years ago

I am looking forward to the final build up from the whitewood.

Have playfield graphics been finalized???

For my project it seems im going the route of OPP + MPF. The new opp planks seem to be a great step in the right direction.

#749 5 years ago

@vireland LOL. yeah. I already thought of that stupid song. Yeah you know me.

#750 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

@vireland LOL. yeah. I already thought of that stupid song. Yeah you know me.

The real (and less fun) answer is Open Pinball Project.

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/15?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.