(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.
    #651 5 years ago

Incredible! Last Starfighter Rules. Are you going to incorporate this somewhere?

1181242126127 (resized).jpg1181242126127 (resized).jpg
    #652 5 years ago

PinMagnet It's already on the playfield on the left scoop. Of course we wouldn't leave that out!

#653 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMagnet:

Incredible! Last Starfighter Rules. Are you going to incorporate this somewhere?

These guys (Rogue Synapse) built a real The Last Starfighter Arcade game cabinet. Check out this vid...I would love one of these...

...and of course I would love to have one of these TLS pinball machines that SpaceGhost and his team is building...one can only dream.

#654 5 years ago

Hah. Yeah. That would be rad.

#655 5 years ago

I googled rogue synapse last starfighter...free download! Can't wait to add this game to my multicade.

#656 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

I googled rogue synapse last starfighter...free download! Can't wait to add this game to my multicade.

Yep...all you need to do now is build one of those cabinets. All the plans are out there on the net and all you need is some skill, time and money. You gotta love the internet! The best invention since the airplane!

#657 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Yep...all you need to do now is build one of those cabinets. All the plans are out there on the net and all you need is some skill, time and money. You gotta love the internet! The best invention since the airplane!

Tweaked the controls as best I could. You really do need dual joysticks with fire buttons to best control it, but still great fun to play. I do have my old mame cab pc/monitor to put into a dedicated cab build...

To the OP...any chance of a desktop version of your pinball on vp9 at some point so I can play it on my mame cab?

IMG_3666 (resized).PNGIMG_3666 (resized).PNG

#658 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Tweaked the controls as best I could. You really do need dual joysticks with fire buttons to best control it, but still great fun to play. I do have my old mame cab pc/monitor to put into a dedicated cab build...
    To the OP...any chance of a desktop version of your pinball on vp9 at some point so I can play it on my mame cab?

Add a couple of these to your cab should do the trick.

F29135B0-9527-48C2-84EF-76C5A5F959A7 (resized).jpegF29135B0-9527-48C2-84EF-76C5A5F959A7 (resized).jpeg
    #659 5 years ago

Man. I love that.I might have to build one of those after this pin!

#660 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Man. I love that.I might have to build one of those after this pin!

Compared to that awesome pin you are building a Starfighter cab would be a cinch. You could run other joystick based emulator games on it too.

Quoted from PinSinner:

Add a couple of these to your cab should do the trick.

Thanks!! I have no room on my panel for a second stick with the trackball,spinner and button layout...but swapping in that joystick alone should be a huge improvement as long as the directional control is as good as my Super 8 stick. In fact it is a Happ Super 8 fire button joystick...perfect.

#661 5 years ago

Horrible video but someone asked me how I would go about adding mods to the playfield after it's been clear coated.

#662 5 years ago

the 1st time-lapse jump on the video kind of freaked me out when you were drilling the pilot holes

#663 5 years ago

LOL. Yeah. I know. When I watched it last night, I laughed a bit. Looked like I went crazy all the sudden.

#664 5 years ago

I had to increase the speed to 800% because the video was SOOOOOOOooooooo friggin' long!

#665 5 years ago

Just like to say that you have impressive skills. Awesome work on so many different levels.

#666 5 years ago

PinPatch Hah. You are way too easily impressed. thank you for the kind words.

#667 5 years ago

Those custom bumpers... If there were a way to modify the bracket to attach to a standard playfield as a drop in replacement...

I would buy that for southpark and fishtales

#668 5 years ago

I think at some point, we are going to alter our thin bumpers to use the stern bumper pads. It will just be easier to replace the rubber parts vs. me making them for the next 20 years.

#669 5 years ago

Off topic.... Am I the only one who loves Stern Indiana Jones 4 pinball machine? I think that it's a really well done machine. I'm not a crystal skull fan but the machine is quite good. I have this machine in my house. Just wondering...

#670 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Am I the only one who loves Stern Indiana Jones 4 pinball machine? I think that it's a really well done machine.

Probably.

That's the game we used to cite when working on Alien for "how not to do it".

#671 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing. i was planning on hand drilling my PF. great insight on how you did it.

#673 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Off topic.... Am I the only one who loves Stern Indiana Jones 4 pinball machine? I think that it's a really well done machine. I'm not a crystal skull fan but the machine is quite good. I have this machine in my house. Just wondering...

You are likely one of a very few. That pin OOZES licensed cheap pin and is right when Stern was reducing their pins to the smallest BOM possible when they were almost out of business.

#674 5 years ago

twinmice You're right near me. I'm in Saugus!

Aurich Really? Man. I actually like the game. I think it's a bit too easy but it's fun and pretty much everyone who comes over really enjoys the machine.

flipordie You're welcome. I'm no expert but I work with a lot of guys who are.

PinMonk Damn son. Total bummer. I mean, I'm not a big fan of the photoshopped artwork thing but still, the gameplay is fun. Like I said, it's pretty easy to keep the ball in play though. I think the center pin should be removed so the ball can drain easier.

#675 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland Damn son. Total bummer. I mean, I'm not a big fan of the photoshopped artwork thing but still, the gameplay is fun. Like I said, it's pretty easy to keep the ball in play though. I think the center pin should be removed so the ball can drain easier.

Do you have a Williams Indy? It's an INFINITELY better pin, one of the best ever made. Even has a hidden sketch of a kid's face in the artwork in the middle of Indy's hat on the translite you can only see when backlit. All the boxes are checked for greatness.

Speaking of which, one of the things that makes William's Indy great is the integrated video modes that work so well with the theme of the game. Are you planning Last Starfighter video modes, like say a "What the shit?!" mode or "Death Blossom Charge" mode, etc?

#676 5 years ago

PinMonk LOL! That's so funny. Your humor is the same as our group. We are planning on cramming in as much as we possibly can. I think the programming is going to be an ongoing project that will be somewhat fluid for a while.

#677 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I can't believe no one has done this for a homebrew. So many good one-liners in the film and sound effects. John Lithgow alone is enough for the sound bites.

I'm bummed they never did a sequel to BB.

#678 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland LOL! That's so funny. Your humor is the same as our group. We are planning on cramming in as much as we possibly can. I think the programming is going to be an ongoing project that will be somewhat fluid for a while.

I guess the important thing to ask is will this be a mode-based game? There are not a lot of playfield indicators that seem like they could be dedicated to indicating mode advancement or completion.

#679 5 years ago

PinMonk I'll have to let Time answer that one. I can only really get the basic programming of components working. He's the evil genius behind the rules and programs.

#680 5 years ago

...meanwhile...I've attached the side ribs to the playfield. I'm going to attach a temporary back with a cutout for the left ramp. After that, components start flying onto the playfield. Saturday Time is coming over to help mount parts and wire. The entire machine, shortly after, move to his place so he can properly work on code.

IMG_6903 (resized).jpegIMG_6903 (resized).jpegIMG_6904 (resized).jpegIMG_6904 (resized).jpegIMG_6905 (resized).jpegIMG_6905 (resized).jpeg
    #681 5 years ago

I'd like to setup and try a live video cast in a few weeks when we get this up and running again. There are a few people who have asked for us to do this. I'm not 100% sure how but I'm sure that Time does because he knows everything computer and stuff.

I setup a facebook page to help chronicle this project and help keep things in order. I'm going to try to post more often and more meaningful stuff. I'm also going to start posting the questions that I get through pm on this thread so other will gain the benefit of my stupid answers and ridiculous logic.

#682 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland I'll have to let time answer that one. I can only really get the basic programming of components working. He's the evil genius behind the rules and programs.

The reason I asked is because if you're mode based AND really doing a wheel, the Gunstar heads-up targeting display around the wheel would be perfect for a mode-based game. It has 8 numbered segments (8 modes) and two red lock on meters that could be used to build jackpots or objectives until they're full and "Lock on" at the top lights at which point you could have some power or feature at your disposal to launch.

targeting (resized).pngtargeting (resized).png

#683 5 years ago

PinMonk That's a really cool idea. Once we figure out what our modes and rules are that may work out nicely. Thanks. I never even noticed that from the film

#684 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

vireland That's a really cool idea. Once we figure out what our modes and rules are that may work out nicely. Thanks. I never even noticed that from the film

I am a fan to the point of annoying. Just tell me when to stop.

#685 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I am a fan to the point of annoying. Just tell me when to stop.

stop. it's my turn to gush over how awesome this is turning out

#686 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

stop. it's my turn to gush over how awesome this is turning out

#687 5 years ago

I think I may have a problem… I half expected to see an alien avatar head on that video and I'm left disappointed that it wasn't.

#688 5 years ago

LOL. What exactly is going on here.

#689 5 years ago

^^Think Baywatch^^

#690 5 years ago

Hah. I used to work on Baywatch and Baywatch Nights.

#691 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Hah. I used to work on Baywatch and Baywatch Nights.

I *knew* Hasselhoff was a prop effect!

#692 5 years ago

This is the optical switch we've chosen (for the time being) for the spinner.

IMG_6911 (resized).jpegIMG_6911 (resized).jpegIMG_6912 (resized).jpegIMG_6912 (resized).jpegIMG_6913 (resized).jpegIMG_6913 (resized).jpeg
    #693 5 years ago

Let's see how much I get beat up for this....There would not be two optical horseshoes in the end. Most likely going to be the one on top. I'm having some space issues that need to be worked out.

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 3.14.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-06-21 at 3.14.56 PM (resized).png
    #694 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Let's see how much I get beat up for this....There would not be two optical horseshoes in the end. Most likely going to be the one on top. I'm having some space issues that need to be worked out.

dude, a spinner with an opitical switch would be awesome. only thing that would be more awesome would be ceramic bearings holding the spinner

#695 5 years ago

toyotaboy Yeah. I think that would be better. That thing might continue to spin for minutes. LOL That's a lot of points!

toyotaboy Do you have the ability to output your solidworks files to something I can use in Rhino?

#696 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Can the optical sensor handle the speed of the wheel if you rip a ball through at maximum velocity? That would be my only concern. Other than that, seems like a cool upgrade to a part that's been the same for eons.

#697 5 years ago

@vireland Yes. I have the slow sensor and it will handle up to 1khz with the recommended wheel dimensions and hole spacing.

#698 5 years ago

Sounds like the rest of the guys want to switch to a mechanical off-the-shelf spinner so It's more likely that we're going to do that.

#699 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Sounds like the rest of the guys want to switch to a mechanical off-the-shelf spinner so It's more likely that we're going to do that.

Boo.

#700 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

toyotaboy Do you have the ability to output your solidworks files to something I can use in Rhino?

I can export as IGES or STEP, but it'll be a dummy model without a feature tree. What were you looking for?

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/14?hl=pinmagnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.