9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 667 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 minute ago by LovelyCoCoNuts
  • Topic is favorited by 99 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 246 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F29135B0-9527-48C2-84EF-76C5A5F959A7 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3666 (resized).PNG
    1181242126127 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6869 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6866 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6867 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6868 (resized).jpeg
    CBC5783C-E125-4D60-AE38-C4D6A6760544 (resized).jpeg
    F3DA3C25-62C5-4AFD-AC2C-82B9AC589931 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6859 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6860 (resized).jpeg
    288e30e14775b9aaed6f8b275294ae56348cf442 (resized).png
    3ce2c62e3a3d129181797def601a4e87924a5715 (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).png

There are 667 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
    #601 15 days ago

Did they update the graphics on a new version of the film?

#602 14 days ago
    Quoted from pinteresting:

Did they update the graphics on a new version of the film?

I don't believe so

#603 14 days ago

Because time was giving me crap about having Cactus Canyon as my avatar when I don't have it anymore. I did the JP because he likes JP...and I'm an ass.

I did notice this

#604 13 days ago

@time is coming over to the house this weekend to work on some wiring. Going to hopefully get most of this done this weekend.

#605 11 days ago

I'm curious is anyone has tips on how they've wired their home brew pinball machines. I found a video on youtube and I'm wondering if there are reasons for keeping all the wiring floating off the back of the playfield and/or why the wiring isn't mounted to the playfield.

#607 11 days ago

This is a shot of Scott's wiring. Looks like it's primarily the RGB wiring but this looks way better to me. I think I will go even a step further because I'm so particular about the wiring.

Total Nuclear (resized).png
    #608 11 days ago

I found it easier to deal with if it wasn't mounted directly to the playfield. I didn't heat shrink it, either. Just zip tied it and used some cable tie clamps mounted on plastic standoffs. I'm planning on more of the same for my current project.

#609 11 days ago

Generally you don't run it on the playfield because there's no room on modern games. Also it means you can go "over" things without having to make all kinds of twists and turns. Saves wiring.

Not as nice as the WMS version but this is an option:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2692

545-5253-01 (resized).jpg

#610 11 days ago

Here's my game in progress. Just zipties but will add a few wire holders.

Re-wiring

#611 11 days ago

Well, here's my first attempt at version 2...

damn that's cool-- very clever.

Sell it to JJP!

#612 10 days ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Generally you don't run it on the playfield because there's no room on modern games. Also it means you can go "over" things without having to make all kinds of twists and turns. Saves wiring.
    Not as nice as the WMS version but this is an option:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2692

We also use those ladders to space wires from the playfield and to prevent them from getting stuck in switches or mechs. We 3D printed those. Let me know if you need a stl model.

#613 10 days ago

Maybe I'll design something that is a combination of metal with off-the-shelf cable clamps. Something along those lines.

#614 10 days ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

We also use those ladders to space wires from the playfield and to prevent them from getting stuck in switches or mechs. We 3D printed those. Let me know if you need a stl model.

Oh. That might be cool.

#615 10 days ago

I use these to route the cables over the playfield. They are very handy to use: you can open en close them if wires need changing. They have super strong glue on the back, so will not fall off.HTB1OBlcKVXXXXcSXXXXq6xXFXXXk (resized).jpg
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-NYLON-Cable-Fixed-Seat-Tape-Cable-Organizer-Tie-Mount-Computer-Cable-Clip-Wire-Holder-Cable/32614063552.html

#616 10 days ago

I use 3d printed ladders as well. With homebrew wiring I like to think in more planes than just against the playfield.

With the serial LEDs a lot of us like to use, you need to be careful with solenoid lines in relation to the LED lines especially data lines.

I did led wiring and gi wiring on the plane of the playfield, and all solenoid and switch wiring on a different parallel plane, using the ladders to offset it. I like to also make sure not to run LED lines parallel to solenoid lines, and try to cross them at right angles, even on the different planes.

#618 10 days ago

I've ordered a few things. I would like to keep most everything down on the back of the playfield personally. I understand the concept of the speed of wiring above the components but I guess it's just a personal preference thing.

#619 10 days ago

I can only assume this will be a completely closed source and design project?

I ask since others wanting to do customs like myself.

I look at that mech building station photo... And I'm like damn... Couple hundred $ in wire spools right there.

#620 10 days ago

Uh. Well, I never really thought that anyone would be interested in making this machine other than ourselves. I don't believe that we've discussed releasing all the drawings, program and design onto the community. I suppose that it is a possibility. I will discuss with the others and see what their thoughts are.

Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I can only assume this will be a completely closed source and design project?
    I ask since others wanting to do customs like myself.
    I look at that mech building station photo... And I'm like damn... Couple hundred $ in wire spools right there.

#621 10 days ago

Truthfully, I bought way more wire than I needed for one machine. I also bought much larger gauge than necessary. I simply overdo...because what's worth doing is worth overdoing.

This is probably enough wire to do 4 machines but I figured that I didn't want to run out since I would be going through a couple harnesses in the design stage to get to a final harness.

I spend about $300 on wire.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #622 10 days ago

@time and I have already spend about $4000 or so on components and other parts. I haven't even gotten to the vacuum forming and molding casting stage yet. The printing for the playfield is going to cost a pretty penny also. I figure that will run about $450 each playfield.

#623 10 days ago

I believe @time is building a spreadsheet that lists all purchases of components and some materials in the case that the other guys in the group will want to purchase and build in the end. I've committed to building 6 of these total if they are interested. It'll be fun to line them all up and see what people think when they play them. Unless it sucks of course.

#624 10 days ago

Watching with great interest. Love the movie. I wish they had made a sequel back in the day. Please post more pics

#625 6 days ago

Working on some new changes to the ramps and other components

image (resized).pngimage-1 (resized).pngimage-2 (resized).pngimage-3 (resized).png
    #626 5 days ago

Working on some new changes to the ramps and other components

Are you putting posts on the sides of the ramp entrances or blue rubber bumpers?

#627 5 days ago

@vireland Right now, they are custom bumpers that we are trying out. We would ship the machine with about dozen rubber bumper replacements beyond that, they could be purchase through Marcos.

Kidding. They are custom rubber bumpers that look like this. They may change for the next version.

3ce2c62e3a3d129181797def601a4e87924a5715 (resized).jpg

288e30e14775b9aaed6f8b275294ae56348cf442 (resized).png
    #628 5 days ago

The first image is the actual prototype. The second image is what they will look like after they are proven and tested. Rubber bumpers will be cast in a 60D tinted silicone.

#629 5 days ago

vireland Right now, they are custom bumpers that we are trying out. We would ship the machine with about dozen rubber bumper replacements beyond that, they could be purchase through Marcos.
    Kidding. They are custom rubber bumpers that look like this. They may change for the next version.

For a second there I thought you were putting EL strips on the insides to light up the rubber. Can't get THAT at Marco.

#630 5 days ago

@vireland HAH! It's funny that you said that. That's EXACTLY what I was planning on doing. I'm going to test that at some point but haven't quite had time to devote to that yet.

#631 5 days ago

vireland HAH! It's funny that you said that. That's EXACTLY what I was planning on doing. I'm going to test that at some point but haven't quite had time to devote to that yet.

You really are going to kill me with this machine. Do want.

#632 5 days ago

Approximately how the flag bumpers will look (red). In the end, the plan is to light them with leds. We'll see how that goes. I know it's a lot of extra work but we're already so far into this thing. Might as well, make it ridiculous.

#633 5 days ago

It would be cool if the rubber bumpers could detect hits.

#634 5 days ago

@solarvalue I'm sure there is a way to do that. Not sure I have the know-how to do so.

#635 4 days ago

I'm sure there is a way to do that. Not sure I have the know-how to do so.

something like this perhaps?

#636 4 days ago

Some of the stuff we've already discussed.

#637 4 days ago

looks great, what drawing program are you using?

#639 4 days ago

Oh boy! What do we have here?!

Some custom silicone bumper molds? Still 1/2 hour to go.

IMG_6859 (resized).jpegIMG_6860 (resized).jpeg
    #641 4 days ago

Some custom silicone bumper molds

Very cool, can't wait to see the results of those molds!

#642 4 days ago

This is what they look like. Having some parts cast in them now.

CBC5783C-E125-4D60-AE38-C4D6A6760544 (resized).jpegF3DA3C25-62C5-4AFD-AC2C-82B9AC589931 (resized).jpeg
    #643 3 days ago

What do you use to inject the silicone, just a handheld plastic syringe?

#644 3 days ago

@wolfmarsh Ended up not injecting it. I just poured and closed the mold

IMG_6866 (resized).jpegIMG_6867 (resized).jpegIMG_6868 (resized).jpegIMG_6869 (resized).jpeg

#645 3 days ago

Ended up not injecting it. I just poured and closed the mold

Neat, but are they firm enough?

#646 3 days ago

@vireland We'll see. This silicone is still curing and remember, they get clamped between two piece of steel.

#647 3 days ago

vireland We'll see. This silicone is still curing and remember, they get clamped between two piece of steel.

As long as it doesn't feel like a bag of sand...

#648 3 days ago

very impressive, well done

#649 3 days ago

@swinks Thanks. Normally, I would 3d print a mold. Just bored one evening.

#650 3 days ago

wolfmarsh Ended up not injecting it. I just poured and closed the mold

This is so cool!

I can't wait till this type of bumper is standard from all manufacturers, especially backlit!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 53.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 39.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.99
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 9.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 50.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 989.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 667 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside