(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.
    #501 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, that long format LCD is exactly the sort of thing custom guys are looking for.

but isn't that the form factor that randy said would be too costly to produce?

#502 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

but isn't that the form factor that randy said would be too costly to produce?

The screen costs about $110 USD shipped from China. Its not the highest quality though. It looks better in person than what was captured on that video but its no match for modern LCD screens that are perfectly view-able from any angle. This screen is fine, but nothing great. Working with the screen isn't as straight forward as I had hoped. For anyone else considering using this for your projects, know that the driver board is 1280x720 only. The screen itself is 1280x390. So your image output from the OS will be squished and look bad by default. Linux and MPF have display driver options you can force pixel scaling and overscan to make the display look correct.

Other than the wrong LCD driver, there is an OSD menu that displays HDMI INPUT when you power on the screen. This annoys me to no end. I don't have a solution for this as its built into the display board. Right now it feels like a hack to me. Its working, but by no means does it feel like a professional solution.

#503 5 years ago

Pretty sure that’s what they’re calling a “stretched bar LCD” now. They are physically cut down from a larger commercial LCD screen and available in oddball sizes depending on the source screen and how they were able to make the cut. The panel drivers still expect the same data formatting as the original screen.

When I looked into it a few years ago, prices were about 3-4x an uncut full size screen but maybe they are less expensive now.

The HDMI input message is probably more a function of the HDMI to LVDS converter board rather than the LCD panel itself. You might be able to try a different converter.

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Hey tell us where you got that display. Please. Looks better than the colordmd.

Its not as sharp nor does it have as good of viewing angles as a colordmd LCD screen. I got it from China

#505 5 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

Other than the wrong LCD driver, there is an OSD menu that displays HDMI INPUT when you power on the screen. This annoys me to no end.

I wouldn’t feel too bad - both the theatre and phone screens on Dialed In do this.

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I wouldn’t feel too bad - both the theatre and phone screens on Dialed In do this.

Ewwww.

That actually been something I've been wanting to checkout. Need to talk to some people with modern LCD games. I noticed Huduni showed a bunch of bios boot text on cold start. Not a fan. I'm curious what the "pros" are all doing with regards to this. Its definitely not something I want in what I'd call a finished product. I never want anyone to see what's behind the curtain. Unless of course they come here and read about it.

A totally clean boot in under 5 seconds is my goal. I've been playing with hardware and Linux distros to see what combo might work.

#507 5 years ago

the crystal ball in WoZ displays the 4D systems boot up screen as well (I believe that the book in TH also does)

#508 5 years ago

Hopefully some Easter eggs in game too. At the end you get to decide if join the allegiance to save the world or stay i earth. Maybe a video mode through the caves like STTNG.

#509 5 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

Ewwww.
    That actually been something I've been wanting to checkout. Need to talk to some people with modern LCD games. I noticed Huduni showed a bunch of bios boot text on cold start. Not a fan. I'm curious what the "pros" are all doing with regards to this. Its definitely not something I want in what I'd call a finished product. I never want anyone to see what's behind the curtain. Unless of course they come here and read about it.
    A totally clean boot in under 5 seconds is my goal. I've been playing with hardware and Linux distros to see what combo might work.

Totally possible with powerful hardware such as an Intel NuC. My NuC i5 boots into MPF in roughly 5s and it still runs stock Lubuntu untuned. I also bought an up board (same as TNA) but that takes a bit longer (also untuned).

#510 5 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

The screen costs about $110 USD shipped from China.

Hmmm... Cant seem to find it on Alibaba. Found pleny of others. There are options if you want to purchase a 1000 of them. Lol. Any suggestions to find this display?

#511 5 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Hmmm... Cant seem to find it on Alibaba. Found pleny of others. There are options if you want to purchase a 1000 of them. Lol. Any suggestions to find this display?

The word "China" in his post links directly to it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VGA-LCD-controller-board-RT2270-14-9inch-1280-390-LTA149B780F-LCD-screen/32266352370.html

#512 5 years ago

I looks great in the video but I haven't actually seen it in person.

#513 5 years ago

Good call.... Forgot about aliexpress! Thank you sir.

#514 5 years ago

Thought you guys might enjoy these

FB_IMG_1525658188138 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1525658188138 (resized).jpg

FB_IMG_1525658183873 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1525658183873 (resized).jpg

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from seawolf:

Thought you guys might enjoy these

Never played one.

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Never played one.

I think that's the only one.

#517 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think that's the only one.

That would explain it.

#518 5 years ago

There was a custom game at Zapcon out here in AZ for the 2nd straight year

#519 5 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

Its not as sharp nor does it have as good of viewing angles as a colordmd LCD screen. I got it from China

Probably a TN panel. Cheapest, crappiest panel. Poor color reproduction, and terrible off-angle viewing, but very fast refreshes gray to gray. An IPS, SuperPLS, AHVA or PVA panel would give you much better off angle viewing and color reproduction, but not sure if they come in cut-down sizes.

2 weeks later
    #520 5 years ago

Sorry for the picture dump. Here goes....

IMG_6520 (resized).jpgIMG_6520 (resized).jpg

IMG_6554 (resized).jpgIMG_6554 (resized).jpg

IMG_6555 (resized).jpgIMG_6555 (resized).jpg

IMG_6557 (resized).jpgIMG_6557 (resized).jpg

IMG_6558 (resized).jpgIMG_6558 (resized).jpg

IMG_6556 (resized).jpgIMG_6556 (resized).jpg

#521 5 years ago

After 4 layer of clear. Still some imperfections but this is still only a whitewood.We're only really concerned with the speed of the play at this point.

IMG_6581 (resized).jpgIMG_6581 (resized).jpg

IMG_6579 (resized).jpgIMG_6579 (resized).jpg

IMG_6580 (resized).jpgIMG_6580 (resized).jpg

#522 5 years ago

Time came by and was working on TLS002 while I was working on TLS001. He brought the computer and displays. So awesome.

IMG_6606 (resized).jpgIMG_6606 (resized).jpg

IMG_6608 (resized).jpgIMG_6608 (resized).jpg

IMG_6609 (resized).jpgIMG_6609 (resized).jpg

IMG_6607 (resized).jpgIMG_6607 (resized).jpg

IMG_6610 (resized).jpgIMG_6610 (resized).jpg

IMG_6611 (resized).jpgIMG_6611 (resized).jpg

#523 5 years ago

This is the playfield for TLS002 but it's actually the same playfield but we're working on it along side the current cleared playfield to make small alterations and additions. We'll be making some changes like, colors, features and corrections.

IMG_6612 (resized).jpgIMG_6612 (resized).jpg

IMG_6613 (resized).jpgIMG_6613 (resized).jpg

IMG_6614 (resized).jpgIMG_6614 (resized).jpg

IMG_6615 (resized).jpgIMG_6615 (resized).jpg

IMG_6617 (resized).jpgIMG_6617 (resized).jpg

IMG_6616 (resized).jpgIMG_6616 (resized).jpg

IMG_6618 (resized).jpgIMG_6618 (resized).jpg

#524 5 years ago

looking awesome, well done

#525 5 years ago

Thanks for the updates. Looking fantastic.

Nostalgia to the max for me. I loved The Last Starfighter as a kid. They are apparently re-making it, but somehow I can’t imagine the new movie will have the same impact as the original, at least not for me.

I can’t wait to see the mini arcade cab added to the playfield.

Keep up the great work!

#526 5 years ago

This project is just awesome on every level. Thank you for sharing the journey. So inspiring!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#527 5 years ago

This is absolutely amazing. I'm thinking you might beat POTC to production at this stage. Lol

#528 5 years ago

Coming together so quick, you guys are a great team!

One of my favorite threads.

#530 5 years ago

Hah. Thanks guys. Very kind. I'm very happy with this team. We have a great set of guys. Getting ready to crank out cabinet for TLS002 so it can be worked on by Time . I know it's hard to right code and test without the machine present.

#531 5 years ago

Very excited about our new build and the direction we are heading. I feel this version of the whitewood will play exactly like we all imagined, and will be the final revision.

So proud to be a member of this team of amazing and talented people. I dream this actually gets licensed so all can enjoy the Last Starfighter!

#532 5 years ago

Damn, 4 layers of clear on the white wood?! That’s the most gorgeous white wood I think I’ve ever seen!

#533 5 years ago

There aren't enough superlatives to use! WOW!

#534 5 years ago

that's one heck of a nice shop you guys have to build this. looking great so far!

#535 5 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

I dream this actually gets licensed so all can enjoy the Last Starfighter!

I wonder what the license holder would change and how much $$$$ they would want.

#536 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I wonder what the license holder would change and how much $$$$ they would want.

Film is owned by universal (who is owned by GE/Comcast). It isn't Disney money, but I bet it would still be a pretty penny unless you could commit to at least several hundred of them.

#537 5 years ago

SpaceGhost forgot to post photos of the mech production line. The mechs for #1 and #2 are all wired and ready to go. The girly wire color code provided by John

IMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPG

#538 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Read at article a while back how ownership of this is complex, between universal, the original writer, etc. which is why attempts to make a remake have stalled so far, but sounded like they are getting closer to figuring it out.

#539 5 years ago

Oh man. I would have shaved if I knew I was going to be a model.... and I would have certainly sucked in the gut.

#540 5 years ago

j_m_ This is the shop.... on a clean day.

sat (resized).jpgsat (resized).jpg

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Wow. That's one of my dreams right there.

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

What does the shop make?

#543 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Wow. That's one of my dreams right there.

Me too!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#544 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Supposedly the Last Starfighter license holders have been extremely difficult, passing on NUMEROUS offers of significant cash for products and reboot/remakes, including one from Seth Rogen.

#545 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Supposedly the Last Starfighter license holders have been extremely difficult, passing on NUMEROUS offers of significant cash for products and reboot/remakes, including one from Seth Rogen.

Bummer, I guess we'll only be making six games then. Too bad, I really feel like this could be a production pin.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

What does the shop make?

It's a prop house that makes anything anyone can imagine. I've held Thor's hammer, Captain America's shield, and numerous rubber weapons.

#546 5 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

It's a prop house that makes anything anyone can imagine.

Cool

#547 5 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

Bummer, I guess we'll only be making six games then. Too bad, I really feel like this could be a production pin.

A> Never say never, just because everyone else failed, you're not destined to necessarily. Maybe the writer is a pinhead.
    B> Knockoffs are legal (aka First Star Pilot, Last Starwarrior, etc)

I would like to see more than 6, preferably one on the locations I help with, at least.

#548 5 years ago

That ball flinger on the ramp is quite innovative. Never seen anything like that. The silverball becomes the solenoid.

#549 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

A> Never say never, just because everyone else failed, you're not destined to necessarily. Maybe the writer is a pinhead.
    B> Knockoffs are legal (aka First Star Pilot, Last Starwarrior, etc)
    I would like to see more than 6, preferably one on the locations I help with, at least.

I would love to see these get made also but I always have to wonder if it is because we are working on it or if it is actually really cool.

Quoted from s1500:

That ball flinger on the ramp is quite innovative. Never seen anything like that. The silverball becomes the solenoid.

I'm really looking forward to that also. Can't wait to move over to working on that part. We're working on wiring right now to get some workable wiring harnesses made. Probably a couple weeks out from a newer playable version at this point.

#550 5 years ago

Actually, we've made some really cool additions and changes on this last go round. So damn excited.

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/11?hl=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.