(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 21.
    #451 6 years ago

Finished this design last night. Hopefully this works better. At the very least, it should be far more durable for testing. Parts are printing. I'm headed to the shop to cut the aluminum backplate.

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.41.19 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.41.19 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.45.00 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.45.00 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.41.32 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.41.32 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.41.10 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.41.10 AM (resized).png

#452 6 years ago

Wow.

#453 6 years ago

no shit. this is the level of detail that I would expect in a tamaya model kit instruction booklet

#454 6 years ago

Hey Pinteresting, glad you joined the Facebook group, I don’t get on Pinside much so please update your progress and/or your finished game on the Strictly Custom group!

#455 6 years ago

Danzig I'll try to keep it updated but between that, this forum, youtube and actually building. Might be tough to keep everything at the same level of updatedness.

3 weeks later
    #456 6 years ago

Any updates?

#457 6 years ago

I think we need to see The Last Starfighter at Texas next year!

#458 6 years ago

Heh. Sorry guys. I always forget how screwy work gets this time of year. I'm crazy at work for another two weeks. I'll get you guys some updates.

As of right now, I've been working on some mechanics. Basically stuff I can do on lunch and at home. You guys saw this before but it was version 3. This is now version 7 and I think it's our winner...for now.

This is the motorized drop target wall. I've remodeled it from scratch because it was driving me nuts. Before it gets mounted, I'll take it apart and replace the plastic switch plate with a steel switch plate. The Pololu Maestro is currently mounted to the servo motor mount for ease of wiring and to keep things clean.

IMG_6083 (resized).JPGIMG_6083 (resized).JPG

IMG_6082 (resized).JPGIMG_6082 (resized).JPG

IMG_6085 (resized).JPGIMG_6085 (resized).JPG

IMG_6084 (resized).JPGIMG_6084 (resized).JPG

#459 6 years ago

That thing is amazing and all, but seems overly complex. I mean, the exact same mech exists in AFM and is way simpler and works great. Why the over-engineering?

#460 6 years ago

Nice mech!

Quoted from jwilson:

That thing is amazing and all, but seems overly complex

If you 3d print parts, you can add all kinds of extra elements with low effort on the same piece. If you use folded steel that is not possible, or would need multiple parts to do the same function.
    Also this is in plastic and not metal. You would need larger material thickness and more bracing to obtain the same strength.

#461 6 years ago

jwilson Strength is not a strong point (no pun intended) with 3D printed parts from this type of printer. You have to do what you can to make parts far stronger than you would normally. The intent was to make a part that works and places the top of the targets very close to where it will need to be in the closed state. This will allow the servo and controller to be less accurate. The original unit I made was great until you slam the steel ball into it a thousand times.

DDDwingmaster Nailed it!

#462 6 years ago

jwilson At the time, I tried buying one of the motorized units from AFM. The parts were not available. They may be now but I hate waiting.

#463 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

jwilson At the time, I tried buying one of the motorized units from AFM. The parts were not available. They may be now but I hate waiting.

Impossible to find whole unit. Carrier guide and brackets are available. Motor and cam and motor bracket not so much unless you want to pay $$.

Yours looks great!

#464 6 years ago

not to get completely off topic, but you would have thought that parts like these (especially in the case of AFM) would become more readily available when PPS started reproducing MM and AFM, but that doesn't appear to be the case

it would definitely make it easier on people like yourself trying to use an existing mech rather than having to re-design it from the ground up

#465 6 years ago

I like the idea of improving the old unavailable design.
    I struggled to find parts for mine. Ended up making the metal bracket myself and luckily finding a geared motor to drive it.

I think it can be further improved by removing the whole rotating cam section completely and using something like a spiral rod on a motor to raise and lower the targets.

#466 6 years ago

Mbecker Yeah. I found parts here and there but it would have costs quite a bit to put them together. Also making 5 of these machines, I wanted to do something that was easy to reproduce.

j_m_ I called PPS to see if I could buy one. They would never reply or call back so I figured that they were just not interested. I agree. That would be great for them to sell them to a pinball parts supplier.

MarkInc Thanks. I would have preferred to buy something that is already tested and ready but it just didn't work out that way. I would like to have used bearing glides and a lead screws also. That would have been super solid state!!!!

#467 6 years ago

Here we go again with over building. LOL.

If it's worth doing....It's worth OVERdoing!

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.27.52 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.27.52 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.48.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.48.29 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.48.40 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.48.40 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.48.57 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.48.57 PM (resized).png

#468 6 years ago

I'm just finishing the cnc work on the new playfield although I have to do another couple passes to get the mounting holes put in. The more complex the playfield becomes, the more work it creates. Crazy how much more work it is to add small holes into the new design.

This is the Version 9 playfield coming up. Very excited for this one. Really looking forward to this version.

#469 6 years ago

Where are you getting your blanks? Is it official Pinball Ply or something else?
    The reason I ask is I thought that stuff was unobtanium unless you were willing to buy a traincar load.

#470 6 years ago

Currently, we are using 15mm Baltic Birch. It's a high grade plywood that has alternating grains. 15mm is approximately 10 layers laminated with the outer layers being thicker than a normal piece of even cabinet grade plywood. That's probably about as close as we will be able to get. It's a little thicker than a normal playfield at 15mm but we are adjusting where necessary.

#471 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Currently, we are using 15mm Baltic Birch

I believe playfields are a hair over 1/2" (so there's an allowance for sanding both the top layer wood + inserts). 15mm is 5/8, but I suppose an extra 1/8 isn't going to affect any mechs.. your post screws might get a little short for engaging into the t-nuts on the bottom?

#472 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I believe playfields are a hair over 1/2" (so there's an allowance for sanding both the top layer wood + inserts). 15mm is 5/8, but I suppose an extra 1/8 isn't going to affect any mechs.. your post screws might get a little short for engaging into the t-nuts on the bottom?

You Americans crack me up a hair over 1/2 an inch is 13mm.
    Pop bumpers will be definitely affected if it's not bang on , maybe routing from underneath to take out the excess for critical mecs.

#473 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

a hair over 1/2 an inch is 13mm

I understand 'a hair over 1/2 an inch' means 1/2 inch + a hair.
    Google says... the thickness of a pinball playfield is 17/32'', or 0.53125'', so a hair would be about 0.078 cm or ... over half mm.

#474 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

You Americans crack me up a hair over 1/2 an inch is 13mm.

don't get me started on acres and hectares!

grandpa_simpson (resized).pnggrandpa_simpson (resized).png

#475 6 years ago

Actually, the 15mm birch plywood is .5415" thick. They advertise as 15mm but there's always some variation. Playfields are all slightly different. All plywood is different. The manufacturers may list it as 17/32" thickness but it will almost never really be right on.

This is what I get...

Attack from Mars: .5215" thick (13.23mm)
    Getaway - Highspeed 2: .5302" thick (13.47mm)
    Kiss: .5227" thick (13.27mm)

Last Starfighter: .5415" thick (13.75mm)

Measurements:
    3/8" (.375") = 9.525mm
    7/16" (.4375") = 11.1125mm
    1/2" (.5") = 12.7mm
    9/16" (.5625") = 14.2875mm
    5/8" (.625") = 15.875mm

#476 6 years ago

So far, we haven't had any issues with the thickness. I believe that most pinball components are designed with some tolerance to allow for varying materials otherwise the plywood would have to be dead nuts on. We know that's just not possible unless you go with another type of material.

#477 6 years ago

Oh boy. Here we go again. The version 9 playfield is done. BAM!!!

IMG_6163 (resized).JPGIMG_6163 (resized).JPG

#478 6 years ago

I guess it's time to quit screwing around and get to work.

#479 6 years ago

Clear coat that whitewood before we transfer all the mechs over. Then we can get a much better idea if we're done with the layout or not

#480 6 years ago

Hell yeah. I think ol' version 9 is worthy of a clear coat.

IMG_6165 (resized).JPGIMG_6165 (resized).JPG

IMG_6166 (resized).JPGIMG_6166 (resized).JPG

#481 6 years ago

Panel your basement with 1-8. Or maybe you could number, date what version, you and your team sign them and sell them.

#482 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Hell yeah. I think ol' version 9 is worthy of a clear coat.

metal disc (resized).jpgmetal disc (resized).jpg

oooooo... a guessing game. I'm going to guess that it's some new alien technology that allows you to see natural disasters in the future, and I say that this one is a tornado

or maybe I'm completely wrong and this is the flat eye from some metallic cat-like beast

#483 6 years ago

MustangPaul LOL. I know right? It's a shame to throw them away but they are no good once we make enough changes.

j_m_ Holy crap! How did you know?!?! You have one of these too?!

#486 6 years ago

I just was going to post possible sequel

2 weeks later
    #488 6 years ago

Check this out! Jayson Time from our group put together a test of two LCDs running off the same processor. It looks really good. Man I'm excited about this thing!

...and a test print on the backside of acrylic for backlight purposes. The colors came out really nicely.

IMG_6317 (resized).JPGIMG_6317 (resized).JPG

IMG_6316 (resized).JPGIMG_6316 (resized).JPG

#489 6 years ago

A guy I went to school with played the little brother in this movie. "Where the hell is June!" haha

#490 6 years ago

Wow that translite looks excellent!! Nice work on the LCD's, nice to see some progress.

#491 6 years ago

That tl looks killer, Lexan would be a lot tougher.

#492 6 years ago

Looking good!

#493 6 years ago

Getting closer to a demo for the music for y’all

#494 6 years ago

game is looking awesome

#495 5 years ago

audihere Lewis!!! LOL. That's awesome.
    swillie Thanks. The next test will be on glass. We'll see how that goes. The LCD stuff is amazing. Time blows me away with the skills.
    MustangPaul Yeah. I think the final may be on Lexan if we don't end up on glass.

Wolfmarsh Thanks. Very excited to get somewhere on this sucker.
    Buju Yeah. Can't wait to hear some of it.
    swinks Thanks. It's getting there.

#496 5 years ago

I am curious what will the mini lcd be used for? and looking forward to seeing art on the playfield

#497 5 years ago

Hey tell us where you got that display. Please. Looks better than the colordmd.

#498 5 years ago

swinks It's to be installed into the miniature arcade machine on the playfield.

lurch I'm not sure where it came from. I'll try to get some info.

laststarfighter (resized).jpglaststarfighter (resized).jpg

#499 5 years ago

Yeah, that long format LCD is exactly the sort of thing custom guys are looking for.

#500 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, that long format LCD is exactly the sort of thing custom guys are looking for.

Yes indeed!

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/page/10?hl=fantarama and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.