(Topic ID: 197830)

The Last Starfighter Pinball

By SpaceGhost

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e3dc82c53c512e4e1bddf7a4dd212d24.jpg
    Immagine-1038x1845 (resized).jpg
    The-Last-Starfighter-project (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.18.49 PM (resized).png
    TsunamiSuperWAVTrigger (resized).PNG
    3F87CA1E-58F8-4C53-B6FE-6853DE2347C7 (resized).jpeg
    9493A919-B8F9-45CF-8F53-29B4285B4806 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

30 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #37 Initial playfield drawing (in progress) Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #57 Initial CNC playfield sample Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #64 Initial 3D Playfield layout work Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #78 Initial backbox layout design Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #87 Real-world playfield experimentation Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #182 Flipping early prototype video Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #188 Thin bumper prototype Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #258 Starlite sign test Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #330 Starlite sign fiber optic test Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Post #387 Playfield video Posted by SpaceGhost (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 21.
    #1 6 years ago

Anyone interested in working together on completely homebrew pinball machine(s)? I have a great shop available to work in. The idea is to design and build a single machine design and write the program with the same rule sets but customize the look of the machines for each person involved.

What I can offer...
    Cabinet building and cnc router
    Silkscreening
    Vinyl Printing
    Laser Cutting
    Water Jetting
    Welding
    Full automotive paint booth
    Molding and casting
    3D modeling and printing

#3 6 years ago

LOL. What is WIWC?

#5 6 years ago

Oh.... Looked at your location and figured it out. "Wish I Were Closer"
    LOL. ugh. I can't believe that no one out here is interested in making a scratch build pinball machine.

#6 6 years ago

Don't give up. It's a great idea.
    Looks like you have a lot of the tools I've needed along the way.

#7 6 years ago

I work for a film/television prop shop. I am allowed to work in the shop on the weekends. Makes things very easy.

#8 6 years ago

It sounds pretty interesting and fun with all those capabilities you have. Unfortunately it's still a bit far even for me, plus my free time is limited right now. Will keep tracking it.

#9 6 years ago

Location is Sunland 91040...

I don't think this would be an every weekend type thing. Seems like a lot of the planning can be done via email and phone. Of course the build would be done on site and if there are 4 people involved, I'd like to build all 4 simultaneously until we get to the wiring stage.

#10 6 years ago

I used to program Pascal, basic, visual basic, ladder logic, etc. back when I was much younger. I'm looking into Python and Pyprocgame right now to see how much different the programming is.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I can't believe that no one out here is interested in making a scratch build pinball machine.

Alas, I'm up in the Bay area, so while this is definitely on my radar, it's a bit of a drive But I would happy to throw my $0.02 in.
    If you are going with python anyway, look at Mission Pinball Framework. You've got several options for controller platforms.

#12 6 years ago

Interested. Pm sent!!!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I used to program Pascal, basic, visual basic, ladder logic, etc. back when I was much younger. I'm looking into Python and Pyprocgame right now to see how much different the programming is.

Look into Mission Pinball Framework , also python based with a lot better docs. Lots of config files.

What are you hoping the partner you are looking for is bringing to the table? What are you hoping to contribute to a project (besides access to workshop?).

There are lots of projects ongoing but it may be tough to find someone that will want to share their personal project without it being mutually beneficial (what you bring compliments where they are lacking).

#14 6 years ago

I'm leaning toward Mission Pinball Framework currently. Seems much simpler to get things going and seems like an ample platform.

I don't think you have to be local to work on this. I'm pretty sure that anyone who is involved in this would communicate primarily via email and cell. I think we a trip down here on occasion wouldn't be the end of the world but it is a drive for sure. Or, I'll pick you up from the airport.

#15 6 years ago

Sounds like we might have a few people interested. I'm hoping that we can get this off the ground. This is a project that I've always wanted to do. Looking forward to seeing something come together.

Does anyone know when FAST controllers will be available? They are back ordered. Same with P-ROC

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I don't think you have to be local to work on this. I'm pretty sure that anyone who is involved in this would communicate primarily via email and cell.

The guys who did Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which does not get near the attention it deserves, live it different parts of the country and had not met face to face until after the machine made it to expo. Same was true for the guys who did Wooly, also not meeting for the first time until they were at expo with the machine. In both cases, one guy was doing the physical machine and the other the software.

Suspect P-rocs are in short supply given that you have three machines going into production using them (P3, Houdini and TNA). TBL also uses them and they seem to be heading back into production as well. Bottom line is that you can start work on the machine and do an awful lot, before you need the p-roc.

good luck on the project.

#17 6 years ago

I'd love to be a part of this, but probably don't have the expert skills to contribute...having said that I'm a great Supervisor and am fun to be around

#18 6 years ago

Being you are in So Cal, I believe Hardbodies based on the classic 1984 feature film would be the perfect theme for this locale.

If you decide to go with this, I would be more than happy and willing to lend my wisdom and input.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

LOL. Wasn't there a hard bodies pin already?

I think that the plan is, for this to really work out for everyone, that we will try to agree on hardware elements, targets, ramps, etc. in the game design and allow everyone to "theme" their own. I have a theme that I would like to do but I'm sure EVERYONE has a specific theme they'd like in the end.

I don't mind working on cabinets, playfields and programming for others. I just want everyone involved to be willing to jump in and help each other out. It's not important that everyone gets their machines done at the same time.

#20 6 years ago

Also, I'm not bothered by distance. Like I said, I think most of the communication will be via email and cell. Once a white board is somewhat proven, I can concentrate on things. I can run the playfields here, ship them out and let you guys apply graphics and hardware. Cabinets can be CNC'd and shipped flat to everyone as well.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

LOL. Wasn't there a hard bodies pin already?

No that was Hardbody. A classic in it's own right but with only a vague connection to the movie.

#22 6 years ago

I always love the idea of team machine builds. Sharing design ideas and build tasks always makes it more fun.

We have P3-ROCs in stock as of this week (I'll get the site updated). That's what we recommend for custom builds. P-ROCs (for rethemes are WPC, WPC-95, Stern Whitestar, and Stern SAM machines) should be back in stock in under 2 weeks.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I think that the plan is, for this to really work out for everyone, that we will try to agree on hardware elements, targets, ramps, etc. in the game design and allow everyone to "theme" their own. I have a theme that I would like to do but I'm sure EVERYONE has a specific theme they'd like in the end.

I don't want to rain on your enthusiasm, I love it, but I just want to caution you as someone who's been involved in making a pin that it's not really that simple, and you're not really grasping the extent of the work involved in such a plan. It's a huge undertaking, and all the parts really do depend on each other.

My two cents, and again just offering in spirit of wanting you to succeed because it would be great to see it happen, is that you'll be much better off doing the hard work of all agreeing to a theme and vision together, and working towards it, than trying to make an every game that can be everything to each person.

That can be tough. I have a game vision I've been tinkering with for a while, and as much as doing it myself is probably too much work, trying to get a bunch of people I don't even know to rally around making the game I personally want isn't really realistic either.

But if you or your team can come up with something you can all coalesce around you're going to have a much easier time, and by easier I mean still a ton of work!

Edit: Also, jealous of your shop access, sounds awesome!

#24 6 years ago

To reiterate and add to what Aurich said...

Get a single theme you can agree on (or at minimum something like a music pin where you can swap images and audio).
    Get going on it quickly because group interest fades quickly after a year.

#25 6 years ago

I will be following and wish you the best of luck! If I was closer I would be in. I definitely will be following and who knows maybe it will be a huge success and a manufacturer will pick it up....look at TNA...it can happen!

#26 6 years ago

I appreciate the heads up. I assume that most will get tired from "slow" progress. Two or three will probably stick with it out of ten.

I project manage. That's basically what I do here. I would probably approach this the way I do with any other project of it's size. I will outline milestones (individual element deadlines). That's usually the best way to approach multi-faceted projects like this.

#27 6 years ago

Hah. I don't know what TNA is other than my favorite type of movie but I just want to do this project. It's been a dream for a couple years.

#29 6 years ago

Oh cool. Yeah. I saw a video of this working a while ago. The music is great. Multi-ball lock design is awesome also.

#30 6 years ago

Have you built a pinball machine before?

You should make one for yourself first before looping others in, so you know what to expect.

#31 6 years ago

That's exactly the point. 99.99999% of the people who wish to do this have never built one. If I had built one myself, I would not be approaching it this way.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I project manage.

Well I can definitely tell you that's a useful pinball building skill, no jokes at all.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I have a game vision I've been tinkering with for a while, and as much as doing it myself is probably too much work, trying to get a bunch of people I don't even know to rally around making the game I personally want isn't really realistic either.

I thought the My Little Pony license was already taken.

#34 6 years ago

We all work and learn in different ways. I differ a bit from some of the other suggestions in this thread in that I think the group approach on your first pin is a great idea, partly because you can distribute the tasks to the people best suited to complete them, and also for moral support and group motivation. Yes, there will likely be conflicts and problems and all of the bad things that can happen in a group build, but if you're good at managing people and tasks and can get through those challenges, you'll all be thrilled at the result, or at least whoever wins the arguments will be.

Now that there are a lot of people who have completed custom builds and a lot more with builds in progress, there's a large community of like-minded people to support you. When you run into problems are simply want some advice, it's easy to find people to talk you through it. All that said, in my experience, the most successful custom machine builders are those who like to solve problems, learn new things, and dig in. If you're the type of person or you build a team with the type of people who are committed to getting stuff done (stubborn even), you'll likely find success. If instead your group seeks detailed and low-level help doing everything or most things, then you'll likely not enjoy the project.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

I thought the My Little Pony license was already taken.

It is, my 9 year old daughter snagged it first.

#36 6 years ago

LOL. I'm not a fan of building by committee but I'm hoping that people vs. person will help with troubleshooting before it happens.

My brain is still functioning so I'm confident that I will come up with something. It just seems a shame to build a one-off machine if you have others who might be interested as well.

Either way, with the P-ROC, FAST and Mission Pinball Framework available. I feel very confident that I will be able to complete this project.

#37 6 years ago

This is my basic starting point. Like I said, I'm "borrowing from a few games that I love. Targets will change but my favorite shots will not. The purple lines are my favorite shots. Center shots are obvious so I didn't bother to draw those in yet.

I'm no expert. That's for sure.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 5.36.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-13 at 5.36.27 PM (resized).png

#38 6 years ago

I have to examine the gap between the flippers. I think they are in the too close. I seem to remember Mr. Gomez talking about a specific measurement that he likes to use in his designs.

#39 6 years ago

I'd be interested but have limited time for a while

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Sounds like we might have a few people interested. I'm hoping that we can get this off the ground. This is a project that I've always wanted to do. Looking forward to seeing something come together.
    Does anyone know when FAST controllers will be available? They are back ordered. Same with P-ROC

Hey! We sold out of the FAST Nano Controllers in a flurry after our June NW Pinball Show. Totally put a speed bump in our plans for getting our kits available. Good news! We received a reload order from the manufacturer last week and are getting the store updated to reflect this and the new kits this next week. We also have a new controller form factor we will be unveiling soon, as well.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#41 6 years ago

http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Some of the standard dimensions are on a diagram in the file section

#42 6 years ago

If you want to get in on this, pm me so I can keep track of who really wants to and who is just interested. I've gotten a bunch of pms.

To be clear, you do NOT have to bring anything to the table other than your interest in the project and the purchase of raw materials when the time comes. For the most part, I will probably be able to get material costs way down aside from actual pinball parts.

I believe that I can, at the very LEAST, fumble through this whole project with my current level of knowledge and ability to learn. IF you are a programmer and I do not need to learn to program using MPF or Pyprocgame... even better. I could concentrate my time on building, modeling and engineering.

I'm going to try to lock it down to an even 6 people in the group to keep the chaos down to a minimum. I'd love to have a concept meeting via phone, in person or combination in about two weeks. I intend on having a first pass playfield laid out by Halloween. I'm going to setup a facebook page called "Pinhead Homebrew" to help with communication within the group.

I should have matching shirts and underwear printed by the end of October for the group.... kidding.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    Some of the standard dimensions are on a diagram in the file section

I love that site.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zdoor:

I'd be interested but have limited time for a while

Limited time is fine. Everybody works and has real life. I'm sure some will be playing catch up constantly. It's ok and totally fine.

#45 6 years ago

We will have a 3D modeler to work with us on ramps and the layout. We will be able to utilize the 3D printers at the shop. I will cover the costs of materials.

#46 6 years ago

Good going guys!

I'm not in because I'm a loner and the distance could be a little thing too But I think the concept is great and you can really make this work out together. I'll be following the thread.
    Oh. I am good with Photoshop and Illustrator. Just let me know if the skills are needed.

2 weeks later
    #47 6 years ago

Ok. So I've been working on the programming end of it since it is the most unknown portion of this project for me. I figured that I should at least get my feet wet to see what I'm getting myself into.

#48 6 years ago

Dood, I live in Sunland and this project seems pretty cool. Gonna drop you a PM.

#49 6 years ago

I'm interested but i'm too far way!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

Ok. So I've been working on the programming end of it since it is the most unknown portion of this project for me. I figured that I should at least get my feet wet to see what I'm getting myself into.
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

Looks good!

There are 1,012 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.