(Topic ID: 109199)

South Park: Kenny won't stay down when he dies.

By TheDrewster

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181007_133037 (resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

After playing a few games on my newly acquired South Park, I found that when Kenny dies, he seems to "fall" down with such force that he bounces back upright when he is supposed to be dead. I haven't looked at his mechanism yet, but what should I be looking for? Is there some sort of clasp or lock that keeps him laying down?

#2 9 years ago

That's interesting... I know you can adjust the Mr Hanky coil in the settings but not sure about the Kenny.

#3 9 years ago

Maybe take a pic of the mech underneath and post pic here for starters.
I can compare to mine.

#4 9 years ago

After l poked around the mechanism, I find that the coil audibly buzzes as it tries to hold Kenny down. I also found that if Kenny is rocked to one side while he falls, he stays down perfectly. I don't get it.

#5 9 years ago

My coil buzzes as well. I looked at the Kenny schematic last night in the manual, because I saw a part for sale on Marcos called the Kenny trap spring, but couldn't figure out where it went. Maybe a thought?

#6 9 years ago

Sooo.... much.. irony in this thread title!

Edit: You basterdz!

#7 9 years ago

Sounds like the coil that pulls him down is semi working, but the hold is not.. could be a low voltage problem, perhaps in the driver board? Been a while since I worked on a SP, but I do not remember anything that special about the Kenny assembly, I think there were 2 coils one to move him left and another to move him right, then one to pull him down...

#8 9 years ago

Mine does the same thing. When Kenny dies, the coil tilts him forward, but then he pops most of the way back up, and there is a noticeable coil buzz that did not exist before when it was working.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from robbo105:

Mine does the same thing. When Kenny dies, the coil tilts him forward, but then he pops most of the way back up, and there is a noticeable coil buzz that did not exist before when it was working.

I am starting to think its a bunk coil. Have you done anything to try and fix it?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

I am starting to think its a bunk coil. Have you done anything to try and fix it?

Not yet. I think I'll just go ahead and order a coil and replace it.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from robbo105:

Not yet. I think I'll just go ahead and order a coil and replace it.

Let me know what happens!

3 years later
#12 5 years ago

Did you find out where that Kenny Trap Spring went?

#13 5 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing. I have the trap springs but don't know where they go. I thought they were to keep the ball from getting stuck on the right side of Kenny? Don't know

#14 5 years ago

I eventually fixed this issue by removing the springs around Kenny. I had never had any problems with balls getting stuck. I figured the springs were there to keep Kenny centered upright, but I never had any issued with that either.

Removing the springs fixed the issue.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

I'm wondering the same thing. I have the trap springs but don't know where they go. I thought they were to keep the ball from getting stuck on the right side of Kenny? Don't know

The trap springs mount under the plastics to either side and extend to the left and right of Kenny. They are just to keep the ball from getting stuck and they shouldn't interfere with his movement. I only had one ball get stuck in a few years before adding them, but they were cheap and I was buying parts anyway.
20181007_133037 (resized).jpg20181007_133037 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

I had this problem. I removed the coil spring on the plunger. The weight of the plunger alone brings Kenny back up, but now he stays down until the power to the coil is removed. Coil will buzz slightly.
Don C

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-kenny-wont-stay-down-when-he-dies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.