• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Dan_Halen
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

Hi All!

I've been kicking this issue back and forth with this South Park machine and it's got me a bit stumped.

I've a South Park here that is freezing at the same spot, but inconsistently. When the kids first walk out when you start a game, right when they say "Hey Chef" the video will usually lock up and the game music will continue. At this point you cannot start the game and simply have to shut it off. What's strange is it is not totally consistent and it will work normally from time to time.

I'd had a SEGA MPU in the shop for a different game, so I swapped the chips over to it and popped it in and the issue persisted. I've also tried different ribbon cables, reseating everything, checking for voltage drops all over, and I can't really find anything that's causing it. At this point I'm wondering if there are corruptions in the ROMS, but I'd think that it would fail consistently if that were the case.

I'd even gotten a tip that a friend fixed this exact issue and that his was related to the Interlock switch (which I didn't fully understand), but alas that didn't work either.

Any guidance or even a nudge in a direction would help as I kinda wanna just sell it as a project at this point, but it's in great condition otherwise xD

Thank you!

#2 10 months ago

My first suspicion would the the RAM.
Any corrosion?
Look under the game ROM.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

#3 10 months ago

This happens when the game starts and it can’t kick the ball out into the shooter lane. Like if you start a game with the coin door open and the 50v is disabled. I would check the trough coil, trough switches, coin door interlock and shooter lane switch.

#4 10 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

My first suspicion would the the RAM.
Any corrosion?
Look under the game ROM.

I didn’t notice any when I moved the ROM over to the RD board that I’d had on hand, but maybe it’s under the socket?

#5 10 months ago

What about Chrizg ’s suggestion?
It sounds like he is talking from experience.

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

What about Chrizg ’s suggestion?
It sounds like he is talking from experience.

Doh! How the heck did I not see that

#7 10 months ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

This happens when the game starts and it can’t kick the ball out into the shooter lane. Like if you start a game with the coin door open and the 50v is disabled. I would check the trough coil, trough switches, coin door interlock and shooter lane switch.

This is fantastic information, thank you so much! As I’d noted, a friend told me replacing the Interlock stopped his issue, but your explanation helps it make sense. I’ll try these things out and report back, might be a week or so though

2 months later
#8 8 months ago

Thanks to everyone in this thread - My issue was that the trough kick coil wasn't working and I had planned on fixing that later, then the DMD starting freezing seconds after I started a game just like Dan_Halen.

Very strange that an unplugged coil would freeze the animation but there you have it. Fixed the coil and the game would start properly.

#9 8 months ago

Oh!

I completely forgot to update this.

Definitely was the coin door switch, swapped both of them out and the game runs like a charm now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.