Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Newbie here with a question....Just bought my first Pin (South Park) and none of the flashers are functioning. I have gone through the manual tried the recommended diagnostics and didn't find a thing. Can anyone offer a different starting point or ideas for determining the issue?? Appreciate any feedback.

#2 11 years ago

Just got my SP, first pin as well! Maybe a needs new bulbs?

#3 11 years ago

Which flashers? The two on top of the playfield or the flashers under the playfield or all?

#4 11 years ago

All of them unfortunately....and I am not sure where to start.

#5 11 years ago

Go into flasher test, enable the high power switch on the coin door frame, flash flashers and check sockets with a meter - power there in bursts ? then check for bad bulb or bad socket, no power then check the connector leaving the driver board - power there ? no - pull and check flasher fuse with a meter.

LTG : )

#6 11 years ago

Mine where the same as well 80% were burnt out , but in flasher test with new bulbs they still wouldn't light, I had to use coil test to check most

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go into flasher test, enable the high power switch on the coin door frame, flash flashers and check sockets with a meter - power there in bursts ? then check for bad bulb or bad socket, no power then check the connector leaving the driver board - power there ? no - pull and check flasher fuse with a meter.

LTG, excuse my ignorance...how do I check the connector leaving the driver board? I saw in the book where there is a connector just below a group of small resistors and the book says it associated with the flashers....just not sure how to check it out.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Assassin1979:

LTG, excuse my ignorance...how do I check the connector leaving the driver board? I saw in the book where there is a connector just below a group of small resistors and the book says it associated with the flashers....just not sure how to check it out.

You might need two people. Set your meter on DC and put one probe on a wire in that connectors - smoosh it in the top so it touches a wire or metal connector pin and hold the other pin to ground. Have the other person in test mode fire a flasher, see if the meter gets a quick pulse. Check every wire on that connector that way. If no pulse or power going to flashers then you have a board issue.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You might need two people. Set your meter on DC and put one probe on a wire in that connectors - smoosh it in the top so it touches a wire or metal connector pin and hold the other pin to ground. Have the other person in test mode fire a flasher, see if the meter gets a quick pulse. Check every wire on that connector that way. If no pulse or power going to flashers then you have a board issue.

I checked it and I DO have power going to them! I then checked the fuse and it was BLOWN...I replaced the fuse and it BLEW immediately!...Note to self...turn power off before replacing fuse....but then I replaced again and it just blows...I even went from a 5 A to an 8 A and it still blew....

#10 11 years ago

I checked it and I DO have power going to them! I then checked the fuse and it was BLOWN...I replaced the fuse and it BLEW immediately!...Note to self...turn power off before replacing fuse....but then I replaced again and it just blows...I even went from a 5 A to an 8 A and it still blew....

Ooh...forgot one thing LTG...The first wire on the connector was twice as big as the others and it did not show a pulse....could that be a ground and not making the right contact?

#11 11 years ago

.I even went from a 5 A to an 8 A and it still blew....

Holy mother of all zucchinis Assassin. NEVER EVER OVER FUSE A GAME.

Don't worry about the connector - start going over wiring, bulbs, and sockets and find the short. Check inside sockets too for anything that could cause a short.

#12 11 years ago

I promise on my brussel sprouts I will always so NO to over fusing! Could just one socket or wire cause that fuse to blow like that? I mean..it is immediate....

#13 11 years ago

Could just one socket or wire cause that fuse to blow like that?

Yes.

#14 11 years ago

That big orange wire is the hot, if it's the same one I was tracing back (was it on the lower right connector on the corner on the lamp driver board?) I don't have my manual with me right now to mention the exact connector. That large orange hot on my machine daisy chained to all my flashers on my machine , ( although I did also see on the right side where the red siren type beacon flasher is had a red hot going to it but those were working so I didn't really absorb much info there) I think your main hot is pinched or worn through some where and grounding/shorting on a solenoid bracket somewhere. The is also 3flashers at the very back of the PF behind chef and Kenny so check there to. If you have a DMM you could unplug the machine, unplug the socket with the main hot and connect your DMM to the hot lead ( socket NOT the board) put DMM to continuity and touch other lead to solenoid brackets (or and of the metal underside components) to see if that main is shorting to ground on one

#15 11 years ago

The connector is J6 and it will say "J6 flash lamps " above the connector. And the large wire is pin 10 ( furthest left) on the connector rated at 20v. (page 97 on my manual)

#16 11 years ago

When u get a chance pull the glass and check Kenny!! If you flip him down into dead Kenny position and have a look up his butt ! There is four wires going up there (one for flasher and one for a lamp) I bet the hot from the flasher has broken and is shorting to ground on Kenny's chassis! Look at my " Kenny's revenge" thread

#17 11 years ago

Can't seem to add a pic from iPad

#18 11 years ago

Have checked all wiring...verified continuity and all is good. We did find a Bridge Rectifier that powers the connector for the flashers that shows could be shorting out....NOW the issue is..where to find one...the original part# 124-5000-00 is no where o be found and the part was made by Diotech and is listed as DB3501...yep...cant find that one either...(Diotech requires a minimum order of 160)...any thoughts on where I might be able to find this?

#19 11 years ago

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-116.asp

Bottom of this page - 35 amp bridge rectifier is what you seek.

#20 11 years ago

LTG....your the best! The order has been placed. I hope this works....

#21 11 years ago

do you have a eletronic supply in your city? i went to one in my city and was blown away with the amout on items they had ( i also was looking for a BR and they must of had 300 to choose from.

5 months later
#22 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-116.asp
Bottom of this page - 35 amp bridge rectifier is what you seek.

200, 400 or 600 v?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

200, 400 or 600 v?

Makes no difference @ 120v.

#24 10 years ago

Ah ok. I just got the 400v ones as i wasnt sure and need them asap. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-flasher-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.