• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-06-24-21-06-50 (resized).png
20180624_192123 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Ok im at a loss, I replaced almost everything, I did not replace the caps (just did that, they test good 220mfd) nor the 5w ceramic resistors (tested good in spec) nor the .1 500v ceramic disc caps they tested 102nf/110nf/112nf.

Still not working.

I read somewhere the negative voltage should be 12v dc off between the high voltages.

I am getting on the dmd P1 -92vdc and -114vdc the schematics say -90vdc and -110vdc a difference of 12vdc. The 5vdc was around 4.97.

The controller power in was repinned and getting 5v

When I plug in the dmd q5 and r1 on the dmd power supply heat up quickly...

Everything else was replaced...

I must be missing something like an elephant.

Anyone have any ideas???

20180624_192123 (resized).jpg20180624_192123 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2018-06-24-21-06-50 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-06-24-21-06-50 (resized).png
#2 5 years ago

I just read on the pin wiki "As shown in the table above, if DMD controller power is not connected to the display, the nominal 12VDC offset will be about 20VDC."

I may have a dmd issue instead of a supply issue...

#3 5 years ago

What are you seeing? DMD is blank?

You can try the DMD in Fish Tales or Indy, or vice versa.

#4 5 years ago

Dmd is blank not even a hint of life.

But it seems to be shorting or stressing the dmd power supply. (Power supply is heating up, where it does not with dmd disconnected).

Which is my reluctance is tossing the dmd in fishtales or indy. Just got those two fixed and reliable LOL

The more I read I am leaning to an issue with the dmd controller (stern) or the display panel itself.

Perhaps a cap shorted open and is dragging the voltages down stressing out the dmd supply.

?

#5 5 years ago

How would I know if the issue is the dmd tube or the controller itself without screwing up my other pins?

Or is that just a chance I take?

#6 5 years ago

Pretty much it unless you send boards out for testing/repair. You can even swap a DMD out of one of the other games into South Park as I previously mentioned.

There are so many possibilities.
-Voltage problem on the power supply, which seems ok from your measurements (with DMD disconnected).
-DMD controller is a possibility, just as the 2 pin power connector on it or just has a failed part. Can be the wiring to the connector or broken solder joint on the two male headers pin on the DMD controller board. Try wiggling the 2 pin power connector (red/black wired connector) to see if the DMD comes back on.
-Large ribbon cable from the MPU to the DMD controller board or the small ribbon cable from the DMD controller to the DMD. You could wiggle each end of the ribbon cables to see if the DMD comes back on.
-DMD failed due to a part failure

#7 5 years ago

I think I will pull the dmd and check the controller and tube. I think something failed on the tube and/or the controller.

Due to the heating up of the transistor and r1 5w resistor... Like its drawing a lot of current and killing the d4 diode and stressing the mje15030 transistor. R6&7 were bad one was open the other was out of spec.

Untill I get a replacement I guess I should check the dmd and controller for bad parts.

Noone really has ever posted much for this controller... But my suspicion is something is shorted on that assembly.

#8 5 years ago

There is an Xpin power supply available for the game.
https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-sghv/

Or just go full color and not worry about the high voltage failure.
http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-south-park-pinball-machine/

#9 5 years ago

This 4.9.2 section talks about the common part failures on that DMD power supply.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Typical_Failures_of_High_Voltage_Power_Supply

#10 5 years ago

Before going much further, I would try swapping DMD glass between games to see if the problem follows the display glass or the South Park power supply. The voltages you are reading are not far enough off to be the cause of the problem, IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Boards
PinSound

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Euless, TX
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-dmd-issues?hl=lovelycoconuts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.