South Park code update

By Dommer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

i was playing south park the other night and found myself thinking how nice it would be to get a code update. not for new rules (though it could use that), but more for updated DMD animations, call outs, sounds, themes, etc. it just seems like the show got SO much better later on and it sucks the pin was rushed out during the first few seasons when it was still just crazy, potty mouthed kids. think of it, kill scott tenorman's parents mode, god a-go-go hurry up, smug alert skills shot, guitar queer-mo video mode.... DE simpsons was the same way, but it got followed up with the amazing TSPP. just mussing on how better audio and visuals could greatly improve the game.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

i was playing South Park the other night and found myself thinking how nice it would be to get a code update. not for new rules (though it could use that), but more for updated DMD animations, call outs, sounds, themes, etc. it just seems like the show got SO much better later on and it sucks the pin was rushed out during the first few seasons when it was still just crazy, potty mouthed kids. think of it, kill scott tenorman's parents mode, god a-go-go hurry up, smug alert skills shot, guitar queer-mo video mode.... DE Simpsons was the same way, but it got followed up with the amazing TSPP. just mussing on how better audio and visuals could greatly improve the game.

P-Roc!

#3 10 years ago

so i could also update the code for my TZ and get to play 'rock you like a hurricane' too?!?! what an age we live in!

#4 10 years ago

I'd love to see South Park get an update that took it to TSPP levels. I nominate you!

I've thought about that kind of thing myself, but I don't have a machine to play with.

#5 10 years ago

+1

#6 10 years ago

This game should have been/ could have been so much more than what it was.

#7 10 years ago

Dude, this is pretty F'd up right here! LOL

I have to say, that as great as it would be to have someone come out with a cool update for SP, I appreciate it's simplicity, esp for the little ones. My 7y/o daughter LOVES playing it. It's great to watch her accomplish the multi ball shot in the toilet all on her own and then blast the balls all over the place. She cracks up laughing and has a ton of fun with it. Just gives me the best feelings. It reminds me of playing with my dad as a kid.

All in all, I happy with the way it is.

#8 10 years ago

I'm surprised Stern didn't revisit it, as they did with Simpsons. SP was a great seller for Sega/Stern and a big earner on route. I think a "sequel" might have sold well.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm surprised Stern didn't revisit it, as they did with Simpsons

They could have just rethemed Austin Powers. It already had the toilet on it.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

They could have just rethemed Austin Powers. It already had the toilet on it.

They did that already with Iron Man.

#11 10 years ago

I would love a new code!! Even something basic that fixed the modes so you can stack them and that it saves your progress on the stan and kyle shots. I don't mind that it was made before the later seasons.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm surprised Stern didn't revisit it, as they did with Simpsons. SP was a great seller for Sega/Stern and a big earner on route. I think a "sequel" might have sold well.

+1

#13 10 years ago

yep. new code option would be cool.

#14 10 years ago

Like Simpsons, first pin came out before show got actually really good. Maybe it's time for a new South Park pin?

#15 10 years ago

A new SP pin would be great. The show is still very popular. With the machines that Stern is now focused on getting out, they probably can't be bothered with SP. Many have said that it's a great earner, but most people buy them for home use and making money isn't the main objective. Just making it fast and super fun.

Too bad too, cause a new SP could be all that and more. Fast, fun and hilarious!

#16 10 years ago

I just got a South Park in a package deal. The theme has so much potential that I was thinking of PROCing it as well. As it is, it is almost like the programmers were given a stupid time table to finish the game and they were just happy to put together working code. As soon as I get my Dredd started up, I will probably give it a shot. If anyone is in on collaborating, I would be down with that ,too. The PROC code can be run and tested on Pinmame so you don't have to have a machine to test your code.

#17 10 years ago

if i had my own south park, i'd probably look into the P-ROC.

someone mentioned liking the simplicity. i also agree with that. pretty basic collect shots based around the characters. some easy ones, some more difficult.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

someone mentioned liking the simplicity.

That was me. I appreciate the simplicity for my daughter's sake. She can make all the shots, esp get the multiball. And with 5 ball multi, it's a ton of fun. She simply has a ball playing it. It makes me feel so good inside. Brings back feeling of me being a wide eyed kid again playing with my dad.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Prefect:

it is almost like the programmers were given a stupid time table to finish the game and they were just happy to put together working code.

Well said and I agree. As almost everyone says, it could've been a lot better game. But I still appreciate it for what it is.

I don't know what P=Roc'ing is, can you elaborate for me?

Thanks.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Well said and I agree. As almost everyone says, it could've been a lot better game. But I still appreciate it for what it is.
I don't know what P=Roc'ing is, can you elaborate for me?
Thanks.

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p-roc

Austin biz...

#21 10 years ago

Simply Amazing!

Thanks for that info Brett.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Simply Amazing!
Thanks for that info Brett.

yeah. Owner is a great guy. High quality work and he's doing great things for the pin business.

#23 10 years ago

I can't even believe hat someone could even come up with this. Totally blows me away! Thumbs up and applause to him, for sure.

#24 10 years ago

The rules on SP are terrible, definitely in need of some new love.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Prefect:

I just got a South Park in a package deal. The theme has so much potential that I was thinking of PROCing it as well. As it is, it is almost like the programmers were given a stupid time table to finish the game and they were just happy to put together working code. As soon as I get my Dredd started up, I will probably give it a shot. If anyone is in on collaborating, I would be down with that ,too. The PROC code can be run and tested on Pinmame so you don't have to have a machine to test your code.

Huh that's interesting, I didn't know the pinmame thing was possible. Hmmm perhaps I might look in to this.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Prefect:

If you do decide to work on the code can you keep us in the loop? i would love a new code.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Prefect:

I'm up for collaborating. Let me know when you start working on it. I don't have South Park (but am very familiar with it), or a PROC (but I am a programmer by day).

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I'm up for collaborating. Let me know when you start working on it. I don't have South Park (but am very familiar with it), or a PROC (but I am a programmer by day).

you should buy my south park pin.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

you should buy my South Park pin.

Unfortunately, the amount I'm willing to pay for South Park makes the shipping from Texas a deal breaker.

Just this morning I ranked the 37 pins I know best in "willingness to play" order. South Park was 28th. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it though.

3 weeks later
#30 10 years ago

SteveP3, any updates? Are you going to give it a shot? It would be great to keep the game as it is so far, but add a couple modes, video modes for some depth.

#31 10 years ago

I have to get all my machines up and running first. I still want to do it. The more I play the game though the more I realize they did some things really well. The sound is great and I thought they did with thee lights was good. The playfield is too simple for the difficlty and the modes could have been better.

#32 10 years ago

I mean South Park: Stick of Truth came out and it's real good. I see no reason why they couldn't make a new one.

#33 10 years ago

Someone make the old one better.

1 year later
#34 8 years ago

No updates on someone re-visiting the South Park code?

Cheers!
Adam.

1 year later
#35 7 years ago

I would't mind seeing a code update for this.

1 year later
#36 6 years ago

update update update, we gotta add so many modes and characters

#37 6 years ago

I would also love a code update. New features would be great. Additionally, new code could also resolve the STERN/Sega White Star CPU, 520-5136-00 BSMT2000 issue for those of us who might need a new CPU board and cannot use the newer STERN/Sega White Star CPU, 520-5300-00, board due to issues with the Atmel chipset on the newer CPU board.

#38 6 years ago

I love South Park as a theme but the game rules on this pin are terrible. A code hack/update like what Chad H has done for some DE games would be great but I think something with more features like the cactus canyon continued is what's really needed.

#39 6 years ago

I just want shot progress to save between balls

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-code-update?hl=ripper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.