image0 (1) (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
20240206_180957 (resized).jpg
IMG_4716 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6732 (resized).jpg
IMG_6731 (resized).jpg
20240205_151822 (resized).jpg
20240123_133641 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Couple more hours. So excited to have my fist pin! A SP one at that. Love that show. So I really want to get into modding it up with some cool LEDs. I was thinking of doing the speaker light kit. And trying to light up the center of the play field. It has leds on the play field already. But I want to get some spotlight leds to lighten up the center of the PF. What Else would u guys recommend for cool lighting mods for my new/old pin.

Just a tip: If you get a Speaker Light Kit with the SP designs.....make sure you mount them with the designs in the front (spun whichever way you would like) then the light frame and then the speaker grill and speaker. If you have the grill directly behind that design (or any design that has a lot of etched area that allows light to shine through the actual acrylic) it does not look as good as it should. Mounting the grill behind the light frame will keep the grill from being between the light source and the design (and showing off those grill dots) and also lights the grill up in the back instead of the speaker....giving the area and design a much cleaner look.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Grill behind acrylic (resized).JPGGrill behind acrylic (resized).JPGGrill in Back (resized).JPGGrill in Back (resized).JPG
3 years later
#1415 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Well I blew my HV display board the other day and the display was half dead Anyways ….
COLOR DISPLAY 1000% Justified
[quoted image]

See my post here about the mounting of those speaker designs:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-club-come-on-in/page/17#post-5197744

#1418 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

DO IT
I added the acrylics and led color dmd
Super glad I did
[quoted image][quoted image]

...but did you read my post. Your light kits would look much, much better if you would mount the speaker grills BEHIND the light frames instead of directly behind the designs.

Grill behind acrylic (resized).JPGGrill behind acrylic (resized).JPGGrill in Back (resized).JPGGrill in Back (resized).JPG
#1420 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

As someone who has yet to light up speakers on any of my games, that is a night and day difference and actually gets me more interested in considering doing this to a game or two sometime.

On many of the acrylic designs it doesn't matter in what order you mount things. However, the ones that allow a lot of light to shine though the actual acrylic material, it makes a big difference. Putting the grill behind the light frames makes it so the grill holes are not between the design and the light source, so it does away with seeing the grill dots. It also lights the grill up in the back of the lit area instead of the speaker, which give the entire lit area a cleaner and less cluttered look. South Park, Family Guy and Ghostbusters are probably the designs where it is most important to have the grills mounted in behind the light frames to get them looking their best.

1 week later
#1427 1 year ago
Quoted from T2Fanuc:

Worthwhile mod, do it!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm glad you like it and a person can mount things how they like, but it seems that people aren't agreeing with, or understanding, how I think this design should be mounted. Design, light frame, grill, speaker.

#1429 1 year ago
Quoted from T2Fanuc:

DugFreez
Next place your acrylic art (optional) into position, followed by the grill. If your acrylic has etching make sure it is facing inward.
4A.(Stock Speakers) Place the LED Light frame on top of the grill making sure that the screw holes are (UP) and that the lead wire coming off is near the bottom corner of your DMD. Once in position, replace the speaker and screw in all 4 corners using the longer provided screws with the kit. Remember to hook the ground strap back on. (IF YOU HAVE UPGRADED SPEAKERS INSTALLED SEE NEXT PAGE)
I get where your heads at, just following the supplied directions.

Also on the supplied directions:

Alternate Installations
There are alternate ways you can install your acrylics. Here is a quick
rundown of the options. Assuming you are facing the machine you can
layer the install in a few different ways. Results will vary depending on the
acrylic used. You may have to experiment to see which is best for you.
Standard: Acrylic, Speaker Grill, Light Kit Frame, then speaker.
Peek-a-Boo: Speaker Grill, Acrylic, Light Kit Frame, then speaker.
3D: Acrylic, Light Kit Frame, Speaker Grill, then speaker.

In the case of the South Park design, the "3D" mount is hands down the best. Give it a try...I'm sure you will like the look of the design better.

#1431 1 year ago
Quoted from T2Fanuc:DugFreez
If this was always the intended design, just make this method the standard method, and the othe way the alternate. Wouldn't you agree? Thanks for the kit!

No, as South Park, Family Guy and Ghostbusters are really the only designs that mounting them in the "3D" method is really important. Other designs like Lord of the Rings, the AC/DC devil girls and the Iron Man figure also benefit from it. The vast majority of the designs look fine and just as good if you mount the grill directly behind the design. Others (mostly black designs) look really cool being behind the grills. That way you can't see the design at all until the game and light kit are turned on. As stated, the different mounting methods are described in the instruction manual as well as encouraging people to try the different mounting methods to see which they prefer.

Of the games I have had the light kits and designs in, I had my blue X-Men X mounted behind the grill. In my Black Spider-Man I have the design in front and the grill mounted directly behind it. I still haven't put a light kit in my South Park, but I'm sure the design will be in front and the grill in back on that one. With my Iron Man (which I also do not have a light kit installed in) I think I will go with an acrylic design double stack. That is, the Iron Man figure in the front, then the light frame, then a silver mirror Arc Reactor design, then the grill and speaker. I have a light kit in my Rolling Stones LE, but I don't use a design in it as the LE has the Rolling Stones logo painted on the speaker grills. In those cases, it's best to have the grills mounted behind the light frames so the lights will light up the painted designs on the grills, instead or lighting them from behind and washing out the painted designs.

So, there are different, perfectly acceptable, ways to mount the various designs. A person can mount them anyway they want, but I think some ways definitely look better than others, depending on the design. I also know there may be circumstances or a person's preferences that may limit the way they want to mount them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Euless, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-club-come-on-in?tu=dugfreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.