Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Buffpac5
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Just purchased my first pinball machine a couple weeks ago so I currently have limited knowledge on fixing them and am looking for some guidance. I had a none functioning Mr. Hanky switch and that was easy to fix...just a loose wire.

What I cannot figure out is the issue I am having with Cartman. When I hit the Kenny hole, Kenny registers and when the ball rolls to the VUK, for some reason, Cartman will register. This does not happen all of the time but does happen 70-80% of the time. Also, when I hit the Cartman hole, it will sometimes register twice. This also happens 70-80% of the time.

What I have tried thus far: checked for loose connections (I checked everything all the way back to the motherboard), examined the switch under Cartman and everything looked fine (the gap appeared to be the same as the other switches), and reset the machine back to factory settings.

I got the machine on Nov. 26 and everything worked just fine for the first week.

Has anyone had this happen or have any suggestions on how to fix? I talked to the person I bought it from and also searched the internet for fixes but was unable to find anything that helped. I found one similar forum on this website but the suggestions didn't work for my exact problem. I figured I would post here before taking the next step of calling a repairman.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 9 years ago

Did you put the loose wire in the right spot ?

Odds are you have a switch wired wrong or diode reversed somewhere on the switch matrix.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Yes, the loose wire was right under the Mr. Hanky switch that was not working...far away from the Cartman hole. The problem did not happen the first week I had the game. The problem was also happening when the Mr. Hanky switch was not. Other than that, I have not really touched anything...I just pushed on all of the plastic connectors to make sure none of them were loose as someone suggested.

#4 9 years ago

Can you go into the switch test and find out exactly when that switch is triggered?

#5 9 years ago

I started messing with the switch test but did not get that far into it. Again, I am new to this, so just so I understand right, remove the glass and when in the switch test, roll a ball into the Kenny hole to see when the switches activate? Am I looking for anything specific at this point or do you want me to make sure the ball is rolling over the switch when it activates? Want to make sure I get you the information you are asking for.

Thanks for your patience!

#6 9 years ago

What you should do is go into switch test mode, and test both Kenny and cartman, when you test cartman see if more than one switch registers..

#7 9 years ago

Also while testing test the vuk switch you mentioned

#8 9 years ago

Now I am even more confused. I did some testing and got mixed results.

When in the switch test, I manually triggered the switches. Every time I hit a switch, only the corresponding switch would show up. I went into game mode and manually hit a switch and when I hit Kenny's switch, a few seconds later, Cartman would register. When I manually hit Cartman's switch, he would register twice. This happened 100% of the time. I went from switch test, to game, to switch test, and one more game mode.

#9 9 years ago

Are you sure you put the wire back in the right place?

#10 9 years ago

Yes, the wire is in the correct place. Same issue happened before the Mr. Hanky switch stopped working. After I reconnected the wire, the Mr. Hanky switch started working again and the issue with Cartman remained the same.

#11 9 years ago

Sounds like a switch matrix issue.. Did you get the manual? Check the switch matrix row.

#12 9 years ago

Yes, it came with the manual. I think that might be beyond my capabilities at the moment. Not sure I would know exactly what to look for. Unless you could explain it to me in Layman's terms, I might need to call in an expert.

#13 9 years ago

I believe the Cartman switch is #48, also called the "under trough SVUK". The fact that you had a loose wire on one switch may mean that other work has been done, perhaps other switches have wiring problems. Look specifically at the switches in column 6 and row 8 for improper wiring.

#14 9 years ago

I had this same exact issue. I could always tell when cartman was going to double register because there was a slight delay before the vuk would send the ball back to the return lane. I manually switch tested by hand and everything checked out, but decided to test with an actual ball. I went into switch test and rolled a ball into the cartman hole and it turned out the vuk switch 48 would not always or quickly pick up the ball presence. I remove the ball from the vuk with a magnetic pickup tool for repeat testing. The times when the switch did not register, if I barley touched the tabs on the micro switch it would work. I assume that switch location takes a beating from all the coil action. Replaced that switch and all is good after 4 weeks.

#15 9 years ago

I will check that. Seems pretty straightforward.

#16 9 years ago

Charm86...I looked into this and the switch with the loose wire was on a different row.

OCD_pinball...I get that slight delay as well but not every time and it always registers (I have not come across it not registering). I am going to order a new switch and diode and replace those. I liked your advise on using a magnetic pickup tool for retrieving the balls when manual testing...I stopped and got one today.

To all...I am ordering a new switch and diode. I will post an update after I get those replaced.

Thanks again for everyone's advise!

#17 9 years ago

Replaced the switch and diode today and the problem is still there...no change. Someone thinks now it might be one of the plastic connectors. This is beyond my comfort level so I am going to call a repairman to come out and fix it. I will post a solution once it gets figured out.

#18 9 years ago

the kenny opto is probably bad , it is on 90% of the games , it goes in kenny hole , then roills down to the cartman hole and triggers it.

2 months later
#19 9 years ago

Again, thank you to everyone for your input. Sorry for not posting earlier. OCD_pinball you were correct, it was the VUK after the Cartman switch. The problem can be simulated by pressing the Kenny or Cartman switches in the trough. When the VUK switch is not activated, you will get a credit for Cartman twice. Or Kenny and Cartman if you hit the Kenny switch. I made an adjustment to the switch by bending it up so when the ball rolls into the VUK it depresses the switch better. I had the problem again today and made another adjustment (took 5 minutes) and all is working perfect again. Like OCD_pinball said, this switch takes a beating.

#20 9 years ago

Thanks for updating Darin, I adjusted mine before, and it's gone back to have it register twice. Looks like I need to adjust it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-cartman-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.