(Topic ID: 95212)

Source for very short screw-nails (early Bally SS)

By jcharlton

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Result.jpg
ViceGrips.jpg
Before.jpg
Dremel.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm in the process of a Mata Hari restoration. On this game, two of the wooden side rails (the left playfield edge and the left side of the shooter lane) have stainless steel ball guides attached to them.

Each guide is attached with 6 very short screw-nails. I don't have the exact dimensions, but I'm pretty certain they are at most 3/8" long (they have to be shorter than the rails are thick).

The screw nails from PBR are much too long (about 3/4 - 1"), and I'm having a really hard time finding screw nails of any size either locally or online.

Does anyone know of a source for very short screw nails for this purpose? If not, any thoughts on alternative methods of attaching the guides?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

I have a few I think. I have the complete top and bottom of a skateball to aid in my future restoration of mine. PM me if you want those or anything else from it.

#3 9 years ago

I'd try the local hardware store somewhere near escudgeon pins, that or just use very small screws instead. small enough the heads wont protrude and interfere with things might need toothpicks glued-dried into the original holes before putting the screws to hold. alternative method might be thin double sided mounting tape instead.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the offer, jdoz... I still have the originals (I was able to remove them with moderate success - only a few got their edges mangled a bit). If nothing else I can try cleaning them up a bit and reusing them, but not sure how well that will work. Will be in touch if there's something I need.

DS tape might work in a pinch, though I'd need to put something over the holes (even if it's superficial, I suppose).

zizzle, thanks for the heads up on "escutcheon pins". After looking at some google search results, I'm thinking it may be worth checking out some framing and/or arts & crafts stores, too. I've often found that the smaller you go, the less likely it is that hardware stores carry them.

#5 9 years ago

I may still try and source some locally, but in the meantime, I had some great success modifying the longer screw nails from PBR. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a Dremel and some vice grips.

Here are the original and stock PBR screw nails.
Before.jpgBefore.jpg

Careful placement in a pair of needlenose vice grips...
ViceGrips.jpgViceGrips.jpg

... allows me to easily grind in a new tip with the Dremel.
Dremel.jpgDremel.jpg

I was actually quite surprised at how easily the nail cut and how effective this turned out to be.

The final result (original on left, my custom replacement in the middle and the PBR stock on the right):
Result.jpgResult.jpg

The PBR nails are ever so slightly thicker than the originals, so the holes in the side rails will need to be drilled out just a tad, but the extra girth should also help the new nails grip some new wood once they're reinstalled.

#6 9 years ago

good job making them short enough, that'll work!
local hardware store here has all kinds of small scudgie-pins, isnt too typical either, most might not got.

#7 9 years ago

Looks like a flooring nail I would have checked the hardware store also but a dremel works.

Good work thanks for sharing the concept.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/source-for-very-short-screw-nails-early-bally-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.