(Topic ID: 85185)

source for small carriage bolts?

By ccotenj

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

March 2014 Pinball Parts Pricing.jpg
    image-658.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

i need some of these for the front door and frame of a machine... i went to multiple mom&pop stores, as well as the 2 big box stores, and no one has anything this small... they are #8's, and i need them in both 1" and 3/4" lengths...

tia...

image-658.jpgimage-658.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Chris,
    I'm pretty sure PBR has these as well. BTW, check your Pinside mailbox.

#4 10 years ago

thanks guys...

@jr... will check when i get home, it's beer time!

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Chris,
    I'm pretty sure PBR has these as well. BTW, check your Pinside mailbox.

yup... under coin door parts, williams...

#6 10 years ago

i really wish mods would stop moving threads that i intentionally place in a section of the forum where they will be most seen by the people who have the answer i am looking for...

#7 10 years ago

You won't find them. Been there.

So I decided to have them custom-made for coin doors and side rails with smooth heads in pre-polished stainless steel.

Here's my parts flyer:

March 2014 Pinball Parts Pricing.jpgMarch 2014 Pinball Parts Pricing.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Are they metric?

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from madaracs:

Are they metric?

No. Mine are 8-32 (same as the originals) except instead of being cheap zinc-plated they are 18-8 stainless steel.

#10 10 years ago

McMaster-Carr. Get them in bulk much cheaper.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

McMaster-Carr doesn't have them.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

they don't have them... neither does fastenal...

#13 10 years ago

Half_Life doesn't know what he's talking about.

I had to get them custom-made with smooth heads and 1.125" long.

I've been selling them for 10 years now.

#14 10 years ago

Get them from mr gatecrasher... support the companies who make repro makes to support us.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Not the first time I've heard that and probably won't be the last. Perhaps I was mistaken.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I had to get them custom-made with smooth heads and 1.125" long.
    I've been selling them for 10 years now.

i'm not surprised they had to be custom made... the old codger at my usual mom&pop said he'd never seen one that small, and i'd never stumped him before...

sometimes i think that williams (and gottlieb as well) had their own unique fasteners made just to spite me...

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Half_Life doesn't know what he's talking about..

Quoted from Half_Life:

Not the first time .... Perhaps I was mistaken.

Have to give him points for being a good sport about it though.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i think that williams (and gottlieb as well) had their own unique fasteners made just to spite me...

most likely ordered them 10's of thousands at a time from the manufacturer so they would have been made to order for sure.

#19 10 years ago

I've been down this same road only to reach a dead end. I'd love to find some of these.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

Have to give him points for being a good sport about it though.

That I will give him even though he was sort of insinuating that I was kind of a rip-off and you could just go to McMaster-Carr and get them a lot cheaper. He should have checked before assuming it was that easy. But that's OK. I bust on enough people on here myself too.

lol

I only manufacture parts that no one else does. This niche' pinball industry is too small to rip people off or try to compete on nickel and dime items like these and believe me, I ain't getting rich off any of it.

One other thing of interest is that I use all of my parts myself too or I wouldn't bother with them. The backglass lift channels were the first things I started making. I needed some and there weren't any to be had.

My first batch of these parts were all cheap cold-rolled steel nickel-plated (just like the factory) but I used to lose too many to plating flaws so I started making everything out of polished stainless. They are beautiful and you'll never need another one because of rust.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Not the first time I've heard that and probably won't be the last. Perhaps I was mistaken.

No big deal, normally Mcmaster has everything (although you pay a lot more than other places for the depth of their inventory).

#22 10 years ago

Believe me, I looked long and hard for these before deciding to take the plunge and have them custom-made.

And selling them to people wasn't my motivating factor. It was an afterthought. I really just wanted them for myself but you have to buy like 20,000 at a time to get anyone to make them.

Another thing you'll notice if you were to find them at McMaster-Carr or at Home Depot is that almost all bolts nowadays have ASTM markings on the heads. They don't make them with smooth heads like this anymore unless you buy custom chromed ones or have them made like I did. There are a few yet but not many.

I ran into this restoring old motorcycles too. The original bolts on motorcycles from the 1960s and early 70s all had smooth heads. Then sometime in the 1970s all the manufacturers started marking them and now it's hard to find regular zinc-plated bolts without markings. So if you have like a 1970 Kawasaki or Honda and replace some bolts, they look different so your only option is to find some NOS ones (if you can) or have the originals re-plated (can be very expensive).

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

.... even though he was sort of insinuating that I was kind of a rip-off

That is the one thing I hate most about the written word on the Interwebs; a poorly written statement on my part is not interpreted they way I intended it to be. I truly meant no offense and was definitely not insinuating you were a ripoff. If you took it that way, I apologize. As I said, it was poorly written.

I only mentioned McMaster Carr as I buy almost all my hardware there. Except for the carriage bolts for the door assembly, apparently. It has been a while since I placed an order with them so I thought that was where I got the bolts. You're right, should have checked first before typing it.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

That is the one thing I hate most about the written word on the Interwebs; a poorly written statement on my part is not interpreted they way I intended it to be. I truly meant no offense and was definitely not insinuating you were a ripoff. If you took it that way, I apologize. As I said, it was poorly written.
    I only mentioned McMaster Carr as I buy almost all my hardware there. Except for the carriage bolts for the door assembly, apparently. It has been a while since I placed an order with them so I thought that was where I got the bolts. You're right, should have checked first before typing it.

Very civil on both of your parts. This is why Pinside is where to be when talking pinball!

#25 10 years ago

so how much are they gate crasher? I could use a few dozen. I am always collecting more pinball hardware to have on hand.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

so how much are they gate crasher? I could use a few dozen. I am always collecting more pinball hardware to have on hand.

they work out to $11.59 for a set, shipped...

#27 10 years ago

GC is correct, this is a custom size carriage bolt made for Bally/Williams which was basically unobtainable - although I *did manage to source a few hundred of them from a surplus fastener dealer (Manufacturer's Fastener World, which has since gone under) several years back. I'd still prefer GC's stainless variety over the OEM variety for the side rails. Hat's off to GC for making these available (now I have to order some for my in-progress IJ restoration.)

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The prices and shipping costs are all listed on the flyer above although if you purchase them with some other stuff or buy more than one you can save on shipping.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

GC is correct, this is a custom size carriage bolt made for Bally/Williams which was basically unobtainable - although I *did manage to source a few hundred of them from a surplus fastener dealer (Manufacturer's Fastener World, which has since gone under) several years back. I'd still prefer GC's stainless variety over the OEM variety for the side rails. Hat's off to GC for making these available (now I have to order some for my in-progress IJ restoration.)

They are definitely better on the side rails because they don't rust or corrode from being touched all the time. I like them better on the doors too. They are already pre-polished but if you want a mirror shine all it takes is a slight buff. You can even do it with a towel and some metal polish.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/source-for-small-carriage-bolts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.