(Topic ID: 174251)

Source for replacement round-head twist nails on front rail plates?

By BlackCatBone

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0860 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0859 (resized).JPG
    Drive screw (resized).jpg
    Bingo 2 (resized).jpg
    Bingo 1 (resized).jpg
    20170425_160019_resized (resized).jpg
    nail (resized).jpg
    IMG_4516 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4517 (resized).JPG
    Side rail nail (resized).JPG
    Coos nails (resized).jpg
    Nail (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackcatbone.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Greetings -

I've got a 1950s Bally bingo where a previous owner removed the surround plates for the magic squares and coin slot for polishing. The plates look great, but when they went back on the game they were attached with phillips-head screws. I'd like to replace the phillips screws with original-style round head twist screws, often called escutcheon pins. I've been looking for the nails with no success. Has anyone found a source for new nails in the original shape and head dimensions?

Thanks.

#8 7 years ago

I checked with Joe and no dice. I need 24 for a full set, so he may be able to supply one or two, but not in the quantity I need. I'll post a link if I find a source for new escutcheon pins in the original dimensions.

I tried to remove original nails from the front rail of my parts game. I've done a pretty good job of destroying the plate the nails hold down without making the nails budge one bit. If someone has a technique for removing original nails, I'd love to hear it.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Muggle:

use a painter's pry bar ...

Thanks... just ordered one.

2 weeks later
    #15 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Is this what you are seeking:
    http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html then go to Siderail nails GTB FA701.

Thanks for the tip. The PBR side rail nail looks similar to the bingo nails, with a slightly flatter profile to the nail head. However, with no dimensions listed, I'd have to order a batch to check the head diameter.

In the end I wound up salvaging 24 nails from my parts game. Fortunately the game had body armor that was attached back in the day with twist nails, and I got half of what I needed by removing the armor. Unfortunately I destroyed the front rail plates on my parts game while removing the twist nails. (I can't believe the holding power of those 60 year old nails.) It was for a good cause, though, and the look of original nails beats the hell out of the phillips-head screws I replaced.

4 months later
    #30 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

the link above sells these, as I mentioned I sprang for some #4 by 1/2, I'll post a side by side pic when I get them

I'm not seeing the "link above" that you referenced. Can you list it again? Thanks...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackcatbone.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/source-for-replacement-round-head-twist-nails-on-front-rail-plates?tu=blackcatbone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.