(Topic ID: 209654)

Bally Bingo Machine Recommendation

By Silverstreak02

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

087B4440-9386-4F2F-8033-03796F09CDC1 (resized).jpeg
    A618527D-62F8-43DE-A948-FB67DF04FE10 (resized).jpeg
    586F1CDF-91F8-4B10-B35E-F356B6DC63AC (resized).jpeg
    FCDE70EA-C9FC-4BB0-AFC6-43E389857B6D (resized).jpeg
    F0914FA9-8E92-4865-BD68-533EFF1CE905 (resized).jpeg
    B7DF3093-DD73-422D-81CC-9F143D224224 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm considering my first bingo machine from Bally. I have a couple EM pinball machines and have found several sources to buy parts and even electrical schematics. Are parts and schematics available for bingo games made in the 50's? What should I stay away from when I look at games?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I'm considering my first bingo machine from Bally. I have a couple EM pinball machines and have found several sources to buy parts and even electrical schematics. Are parts and schematics available for bingo games made in the 50's? What should I stay away from when I look at games?

Jump in and get one!

Start here: https://bingo.cdyn.com/ You will find one of the best sources for Bally bingo repair, as well as links to free schematics and score cards for most, if not all, Bally bingo games.

As for parts, use your normal EM sources for generic parts like rubber, etc. There are several guys on this forum that have bingo-specific parts that you might need. Just ask, and we'll probably be able to get you what you need.

As for choosing a game, beyond any cosmetic concerns / criteria that you might have, I stay away from any game with water damage. I also look inside the game for any obvious and large hacks (often indicated by wires running from one component to another that are obviously not stock). I also have had little success getting the later 6-card games to operate correctly. If you can, once you find a game, tell us about it and post some photos, and I'm sure you'll get feedback.

Cheers!

Robert

#3 6 years ago

I’m considering this Bally Variety game. What do you think?

B7DF3093-DD73-422D-81CC-9F143D224224 (resized).jpegB7DF3093-DD73-422D-81CC-9F143D224224 (resized).jpeg
    F0914FA9-8E92-4865-BD68-533EFF1CE905 (resized).jpegF0914FA9-8E92-4865-BD68-533EFF1CE905 (resized).jpeg
    FCDE70EA-C9FC-4BB0-AFC6-43E389857B6D (resized).jpegFCDE70EA-C9FC-4BB0-AFC6-43E389857B6D (resized).jpeg
    586F1CDF-91F8-4B10-B35E-F356B6DC63AC (resized).jpeg586F1CDF-91F8-4B10-B35E-F356B6DC63AC (resized).jpeg
    A618527D-62F8-43DE-A948-FB67DF04FE10 (resized).jpegA618527D-62F8-43DE-A948-FB67DF04FE10 (resized).jpeg
    087B4440-9386-4F2F-8033-03796F09CDC1 (resized).jpeg087B4440-9386-4F2F-8033-03796F09CDC1 (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago

Don't know what you should stay away from, but can't suggest strongly enough to get a game with the "OK" section or Red Letter game. Made from '59 onwards (County Fair) was the first and was the only reason I bought one, and still have 40 years later. You never forget your first child. Get a Bally Bounty, outstanding game. Pay the extra bucks, you will never loose out.
    Soooo much more fun

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Don't know what you should stay away from, but can't suggest strongly enough to get a game with the "OK" section or Red Letter game. Made from '59 onwards (County Fair) was the first and was the only reason I bought one, and still have 40 years later. You never forget your first child. Get a Bally Bounty, outstanding game. Pay the extra bucks, you will never loose out.
    Soooo much more fun

What is the OK section or red letter game you refer to? This game is from 1954 I believe.

#6 6 years ago

It might be have better if you added Bingo Pinball Machine to your title in your post to get more of the bingo people to reply.
    Anyway...you can go to http://bingo.cdyn.com/ for schematic's and more.

Did you see this posting about a Variety yet?
    Go here below
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-variety-general-value

What about this post about bingo parts?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-bingo-parts

Here's another post to go to...if you want
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-bingo-pinball-machines

#7 6 years ago

I don't want to put you off a game that you are already considering.
    Without going into great detail, an OK bingo machine gives you a free game with guaranteed features on your next game. Do some research, take your time, games without this feature can, or might get a little boring.
    I urge you to get an OK machine ..... Just my opinion .....

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

I don't want to put you off a game that you are already considering.
    Without going into great detail, an OK bingo machine gives you a free game with guaranteed features on your next game. Do some research, take your time, games without this feature can, or might get a little boring.
    I urge you to get an OK machine ..... Just my opinion .....

Is this one an OK machine?

#9 6 years ago

Variety was the first game with mechanically movable numbers in the backbox. It's a great game - each of the first three columns can be moved vertically one position up or down from the starting position, if you have the Magic Lines feature qualified. This is the only game that tells you the position the line is in, and is a great introduction to moving numbers in bingo pinball machines.

Having the super cards is typically how I win on Variety. Those are also awarded randomly, along with the potential to win on corners of the main card.

This is not on OK machine - OK was a feature added for the Magic Screen games - and those are quite different. Some bingo collectors prefer the screen games for their variety and neat features like the OK, but I happen to like them all. Variety is also interesting from a historical perspective and would be easier to fix than a Magic Screen game for your first one.

#10 6 years ago

Just to add, all bingo games are complex to repair and keep me from going senile, so just to back-track a little, I want you to get yourself one. A wonderful complex device.

#11 6 years ago

Variety is a nice looking early 1950's Bally (wood rail) bingo. I had this all original collector condition game in my collection for many years, but sold it to a serious coin op collector that needed a bingo to round off his collection. It's a nice player with moving lines, super cards and 4 corners features. The good thing is these early 1950's Bally bingos weren't as packed in with electrical and mechanical units and are easier trouble-shoot and repair, if needed.

Also there are many new and old bingo collectors here on pinside that are willing to help anyone out that wants to learn to play or repair bingos etc...

Most pin collectors are finding themselves thinking about owning a bingo and some are taking the plunge. It does take time to learn about how the bingos work and to learn the features and literally how to play them too.

Finding a buyer for a bingo isn't easy these days, but the bingo market is on the rise. As for pricing the nicer the condition the more you might get for the game. I'm thinking a good working and clean Variety could even be good for trading for another type of machine.

Go for it!

#12 6 years ago

Also, this is a bit crass, but if you want to hear about each of the games in audio format, along with tech info and so forth, I do a podcast that is primarily devoted to bingo pinball. The podcast builds, so best to start at the beginning (there are over 400 episodes now). http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com -- you may notice interviews with some of the folks that have posted in this thread! I've talked about every game (for about 10 minutes an episode) that Bally produced from 1951-1981.

I also talk about flipperless and flipper EM pinball in general and some pure mechanical stuff in there for good measure.

Jeffrey Lawton has also written two books about the bingos, and I would suggest reading Bally Bingo Pinball machines, as well as some of the writings of Vic Camp and Phil Bogema available on http://danny.cdyn.com to learn how to play the games very well indeed.

This particular machine has some pretty serious fading in the reds, but otherwise looks like it has a good playfield. Is it working?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Also, this is a bit crass, but if you want to hear about each of the games in audio format, along with tech info and so forth, I do a podcast that is primarily devoted to bingo pinball. The podcast builds, so best to start at the beginning (there are over 400 episodes now). http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com -- you may notice interviews with some of the folks that have posted in this thread! I've talked about every game (for about 10 minutes an episode) that Bally produced from 1951-1981.
    I also talk about flipperless and flipper EM pinball in general and some pure mechanical stuff in there for good measure.
    Jeffrey Lawton has also written two books about the bingos, and I would suggest reading Bally Bingo Pinball machines, as well as some of the writings of Vic Camp and Phil Bogema available on http://danny.cdyn.com to learn how to play the games very well indeed.
    This particular machine has some pretty serious fading in the reds, but otherwise looks like it has a good playfield. Is it working?

The seller said some features aren’t working. I’m not sure what that means exactly. With pinball machines it usually means not much other than the lights. It is currently in his garage and he wants to get rid of it so he can use the space for something else. What do you think it is worth?

#14 6 years ago

If the seller has a price in mind lower than this, I'd go with that, but based on the fading on the backglass and condition of the cab, I'd offer something small, like $100 to start.

Non-working games are not worth very much. Better condition = more money, of course.

#15 6 years ago

"Silverstreak02", I would check with Bingo Butch
    before you go to far in the "Bingo" search.
    He has one of everything, and he does, on occasion, sell stuff!
    Terry K

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

If the seller has a price in mind lower than this, I'd go with that, but based on the fading on the backglass and condition of the cab, I'd offer something small, like $100 to start.
    Non-working games are not worth very much. Better condition = more money, of course.

He is asking $225, but said he would let it go for $175.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Terry1:

"Silverstreak02", I would check with Bingo Butch
    before you go to far in the "Bingo" search.
    He has one of everything, and he does, on occasion, sell stuff!
    Terry K

He is in PA. I live in Florida. I don’t want to get involved with shipping cost.

#18 6 years ago

"Silverstreak02", when I bought my Bally Bikini machine I was not looking for
    a project, all though I was willing to repair if necessary.
    Before I bought my machine I was on Phil Hooper's site as well as this site.
    These sites and all of the people that were more than willing to help;
    I felt confident in buying what I bought!
    A good working machine is worth, to me, a bit of shipping to get you a machine to
    play and learn on. Once you get the hang of it, any further repair, will make more
    sense!
    Of course just my humble opinion!!
    Terry K

#19 6 years ago

I decided to pass on this machine. I want to learn more before I jump in. Thanks to all that responded. The advice everyone provided is appreciated.

#20 6 years ago

if you haven't played bingos before, suggest you try some of the simulations on http://bingo.joopriem.nl/

he has most of the game types implemented, and you can see what you find interesting to play...if any

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I want to learn more before I jump in.

The best way to learn is to buy one and jump in!

IMO, Variety is an ideal starting machine. It has some features, but not too many to overwhelm you as you troubleshoot. It's also a fun playing machine. (I know this because I own one.)

The backglass on this is pretty poor, with the pinks very, very faded -- especally in the two supercard areas.

IMO, $175 for this machine is not unreasonable, especially if it is nearby and in a spot with no stairs so can be easily transported.

#22 6 years ago

i would stay away from solid state Bingo, no one know how to repair them.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from TIB:

i would stay away from solid state Bingo, no one know how to repair them.

Agreed. I think one may find them advertised as a "Simro" or "Simpro"... something like that. But yes, avoid these for sure.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from robertmedl:

The best way to learn is to buy one and jump in!
    IMO, Variety is an ideal starting machine. It has some features, but not too many to overwhelm you as you troubleshoot. It's also a fun playing machine. (I know this because I own one.)
    The backglass on this is pretty poor, with the pinks very, very faded -- especally in the two supercard areas.
    IMO, $175 for this machine is not unreasonable, especially if it is nearby and in a spot with no stairs so can be easily transported.

This one was in a garage in south Florida. It would be an easy load, but humidity and bugs can be a problem. If I had moved forward it was going directly to a vault for extermination. This adds about $100 to the cost, but since I planned to put it in the house it is necessary. Recently I looked at 2 pinballs from the 50’s and each had a bug problem. One was on an outside porch and the other had been in his house for a year, but was in a garage before that. It’s a shame that people don’t take better care of these machines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/source-for-parts-and-schematics?hl=terry1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.