(Topic ID: 64715)

Source for Gottlieb Score Motor "break switch"?

By alb0711

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ccotenj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

The scoring motor break switch on my 1971 Gottlieb Playball is broken, anybody know a source for getting a replacement? I can't seem to find them on the popular parts web sites.

TIA
Allen

#2 10 years ago

Pinball Resource has them (pbresource.com). They don't list every part on the website, but they do have them.

#3 10 years ago

"brake" switch...

http://www.pbresource.com/ads/adnmrp.jpg

it is broken of all 4 of my wedgeheads... i was under the impression that it's not necessary...

unless you are referring to something different?

#4 10 years ago

Or repair your existing one using a heavy switch blade. Easy enough to bend one in to the right shape. They're long enough, I've done it. A bit of grease on the bit that hits the pin and jobs a good 'un. It only costs 30 cents, a new switch is $4.55.

#5 10 years ago

I replace them when I encounter them broken. No reason not to. If Gottlieb planned it that way then that's how I'm going to keep it.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#6 10 years ago

^^^

so it should be replaced? as noted, i was under the impression it wasn't needed?

confused...

#7 10 years ago

Once set up correctly, a Gottlieb machine will run for years without issue. These machines were bulletproof, especially mechanically.

There are a lot of switches that may seem to do nothing, but in reality have a purpose. These brake switches ensure the "home" position of the motor. Maybe you can get by without it, maybe you can't sometimes. Me? I want to do it right and make sure it functions as designed without intermittent oddities.

Another switch like this is the EOS switches on score reels. You can leave them off and the game will seem to play just fine. Every once in a while you may not get all your points though. If you are OK with that, don't worry about them. If not, make sure you have them.

If you don't want to re-engineer everything in the machine, follow Mike-Os advice and keep it as designed.

#8 10 years ago

Here-here....I'm w/MikeO and newmantjn....I like what ever is supposed to be there....to be there!

#9 10 years ago

memo to self: ignore previous advice i was given on this subject...

#10 10 years ago

Thanks guys - I found the broken blade at the bottom of the Playball I am restoring and found the broken break switch. I have some funky mis-score stuff and last ball issues and thought they could be related to the motor not stopping correctly.

#11 10 years ago

I've purchased the motor brake switch from Pinball Resource before. It's a common breakage item. Steve's definitely got them.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Thanks guys - I found the broken blade at the bottom of the Playball I am restoring and found the broken break switch. I have some funky mis-score stuff and last ball issues and thought they could be related to the motor not stopping correctly.

Your score issues could easily be the fault of one of the scoring steppers for the game if it is set up like some of the other Gottlieb EM baseball theme games. These other steppers keep the runs scoring proper and accumulate the bases and runs, etc. I had a 1972 Grand Slam and it is the only Gottlieb EM I have owned where the rivet heads on the stepper boards had a slot worn into the head of the rivets. You can build these up with solder to keep you going if this is your problem.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#13 10 years ago

I had a Gold Strike that I acquired with a broken brake switch. It would not play properly without one. The motor would constantly run past it's home position. They do serve a purpose even though yours may play without it. I'd replace it.

On the other hand I've also had quite a few Gottliebs with broken score reel EOS switches. I also like to replace them but I have never noticed any gameplay problems when they are broken or missing.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I'd replace it.

replacing my 4 broken ones is now on the never-ending list of "pinball tasks"...

let no one say that i am not willing to learn...

#15 10 years ago

The nice thing is it only takes a couple minutes to replace one.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

The nice thing is it only takes a couple minutes to replace one.

and no soldering!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Tom's Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/source-for-gottlieb-score-motor-break-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.