(Topic ID: 183782)

Sound Rom revision differences: what and why are they?

By goingincirclez

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SeaOttre
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trogdor (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

My Space Shuttle has its original factory ROMs, and the sound ROM is labeled as Rev3.

I have a spare burninated System9 board for a project/parts, and noticed its sound ROM is labeled Rev4.

Now I can't say that anything strikes me as "wrong" with the sounds on my Shuttle. Or is there, and I just wouldn't know? Sounds are sounds, especially in the early solid state era where they're basically simple patterns generated "live" by the sound processor (as opposed to recorded samples).

So why would the Sound ROMs be revised multiple times? Does anyone know if I "should" update my game to the newer version / are the sounds different... or should I leave well enough alone?

#3 7 years ago

Was hoping someone would get that. I often think StrongBad would be the ultimate DMD retheme... so many great possibilities for modes.

"Your. Balls. A. Splode!"

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Was hoping someone would get that.

I'm glad you meant that, and it wasn't a typo! I'd kill for a Strong Bad/Homestar Runner game. I'd love some Senor Cardgage call outs too.

He could name each player something like "Belinda" or "Chezmerelda" or "Elizagerth" and at the end of the game, he'd proclaim "Let me hit you on the slant!" Before not throwing the football at you.

-------

Anyway, I wish I could help you with your dilemma but I don't have much experience in ROM revisions or burning them. Personally, I'm a fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So if your ROMs work fine, I wouldn't worry about updating them. If I had to guess, they probably updated ROMs to play more consistent sounds or fix a bug here or there.

11 months later
#5 6 years ago

Space Shuttle Sound Roms:
Curious as well... what is the difference with the newer versions: Any intel from Pinside?

Quoted from goingincirclez:

My Space Shuttle has its original factory ROMs, and the sound ROM is labeled as Rev3.
I have a spare burninated System9 board for a project/parts, and noticed its sound ROM is labeled Rev4.
Now I can't say that anything strikes me as "wrong" with the sounds on my Shuttle. Or is there, and I just wouldn't know? Sounds are sounds, especially in the early solid state era where they're basically simple patterns generated "live" by the sound processor (as opposed to recorded samples).
So why would the Sound ROMs be revised multiple times? Does anyone know if I "should" update my game to the newer version / are the sounds different... or should I leave well enough alone?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-rom-revision-differences-what-and-why-are-they and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.