Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Scorch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I installed my LED OCD last night on my T3, and when I turned it on, I got a pretty decent hum from the speakers, and the plunger was firing, but not strong enough to eject the ball.

I figured that the hum was caused because I located the OCD board in the bottom left of the backbox by the left speaker, so I moved it up to where it is shown on some examples I've seen. This took care of the hum and the plunger issue, but after I finished my first game with it installed, there was about a 1-2 second burst of garbled speech at full volume.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

#2 5 years ago

Double check your connections; the only options are a) it's hooked up wrong or b) your game is not able to provide enough power to both the LEDOCD and the sound board

#3 5 years ago

It is possible that a hum could be caused by the switching of the LED OCD. It does switch at a higher frequency, and occasionally, this can couple into the audio circuits. Moving the board and/or wires could help if this is the case. The garbled speech, however, is a different issue.

Unless it is installed incorrectly, it would be next to impossible for it to make your plunger weak. It pulls power from the same power source as the original lamps, and a game full of LEDs plus a LED OCD would pull less power than a game full of incandescent bulbs. It doesn't pull any power from other sources, so it's not going to starve any other circuits. It also doesn't connect to any of the digital logic circuits, so it won't affect any of the CPU, sound, or coil operation.

If it continues, I would suggest disconnecting the LED OCD just to eliminate it, but I am confident that it is not the cause of the garbled speech or weak coils unless it is incorrectly installed.

#4 5 years ago

So what I ended up doing was moving the board even further away from the speakers and re-seating all the cables. I’ve played 2-3 games since and no issues yet. So fingers crossed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-problems-with-when-led-ocd-installed-on-t3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.