(Topic ID: 52097)

Sound problems with Family Guy and SHREK (sound volume goes its own way)

By psygho

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by psygho
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fgy_disp.jpg
fgy_boot.jpg
IMAG3674.jpg
IMAG3673.jpg
#1 10 years ago

The problem was mentioned in another thread, but i thought this would cover the question more..

From another thread:

Te problem:

Quoted from inhomearcades:

Hey guys,
I have a Family Guy that the sound is stable most of the time but will then increase in volume out of no where and stay there. The volume adjustment and number displayed does not change, the mahcine just gets louder, then randomly it will resume back to the lower volume on its own. Any ideas?
Neil

Some possible solution:

Quoted from psygho:

Wl As for the sound i have the exact problems, as wel as manu other shrek users...
In the pinwiki stated as follows:
4.8 Sound problems
In early SAM games if you have the simulated knocker activated the sound may go to full volume after you get a replay. This is a bug in the operating system code part. Fixed in newer games but Stern didn't release updated roms. Observed in FG and Shrek. Workaround disable the simulated knocker and if you want the sound put a real one in (the games support it).
So bull for the game update files..... Set the volume off, for the nocker sound. (standard adjustment #44 And put an real one in to it.(as i did) Cased closed! no more problems!

BUT Then:

Quoted from psygho:

Bummer, mine does the sound issue again! It went good for a lot of plays...
Sounds like the info on pinwiki is not accurate...
Drat... I have knocer volume off.
Mailed stern about this issue, but i think not much is happening from them...

Annyone else got the same problem, or have an solution with this issue ?
I happend by getting an special in this particular case....

I have the latest v12 software and bootcode. (it stated as 3.1 (a sticker) on the romchip.)

Edit:
Wel in SERVICE MENU The following stated:

V12.0 Sys 1.39 hdw. 1

Does sound like v12 in installed for game code, but SAM bootcode should be 3.1 ?? not 1.39!!
Maybe some one has mislabeld or wrongly flashed this eeprom ? i think i do NOT have SAM bootcode 3.1, but as stated in the service menu 1.39

When i download the latest sam bootcode version 3.1 there is an read me file, with change log:
There is mention about the previeus code 1.39.

VERSION 3.1 - RELEASED JANUARY 28, 2008 - IMAGE CHECKSUM: 4CF6

Changes since version 2.30:

INCORPORATES SYSTEM CHANGES UP TO AND INCLUDING SYS. 1.39.
THESE INCLUDE:

During USB update, if a USB memory stick was inserted that had
no files on it, then the update code would crash the game. This has
been corrected.

When booting from EPROM, the 'USB / BACKUP' test menu entry is no
longer available. Backup of game code may still be performed from
the USB menu when booting game code from FLASH.

INCORPORATES SYSTEM CHANGES UP TO AND INCLUDING SYS. 1.39.
THESE INCLUDE:

Boot from EPROM now honors all factory defaults, as if factory
reset had been performed for the current dip switch settings each
time the game is booted from EPROM.

Fixed a problem with changing the dip switches. When the dip
switches were changed and the game was rebooted, the system would
not install the proper adjustment override values associated with
the new dip switch settings. This has been corrected.

Updating the game code no longer resets the Tournament data, if
possible.

Strange , or do i somehow overlooked something ?

#2 10 years ago

If I remember correctly on my LOTR there was a setting for background/music volume option.When selected a bit higher than normal on some parts of the game for example during multiball the sound would go way up then come back to normal when that mode/multiball was over.

#3 10 years ago

Latest game code is installed, correct? Until one of my last updates I had the same problem.

#4 10 years ago

Yes i have latest game code, v12. But i wonder if i have got the lastest sam boot code.. It says on the sticker on the rom v3.1, but in system service(coin door open press one time om enter) v1.39.
I suppose that some one has burnt the older software in the rom or mislabeld it...

As mentioned in another thread they say that is might be the sam bootcode problem.

When i have the problem, the mode was ended, got an new ball, but the problem stays. Had to shut it down and on again for the problem to go away.

#5 10 years ago

I have v.2.1 bootcode and the problem went away when I installed a game code update. I would assume that 3.1 is "better" than 2.1 but who knows?

#6 10 years ago

check the (-12V) regulator output on the power supply board. If this starts to flucuate, your volume will be all over the place.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I have v.2.1 bootcode and the problem went away when I installed a game code update. I would assume that 3.1 is "better" than 2.1 but who knows?

Yhnx, i have an other rom text, and i supposed it is an aftermarket bootrom..
Could you post an picture, or tell me what the version numbers are in the SERVICE menu Setting??

I supoose it would be:

Coindoor open, push 1 time on ENTER:

_______Family guy_____

v12____Sys2.1____HDW.1

Press "select"to continue

Could you verify this ? So i can check mine, if i have the older bootcode.
Becouse mine botrom sticker is not an stern sticker, so i realy think mine bootrom is old, and THAT is cousing mine problems.

Thanks!

#8 10 years ago

Wow, looks like my boot code version does not match the sticker on the ROM.

IMAG3674.jpgIMAG3674.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Hmm makes me wonder if the rom version is correctly shows up in the SERVICE MENU.
Becouse you had has the sam problem but after updating its gone.. I have still the problem. and cant verify is or if not i have the lastest boot code. You should expect that the sys rom stated in service menu is the version of the sam bootflash. or isnt it ???

Can some one als look at their stern pinball to see is actualy the bootflash rom is displayed as sys version....?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from psygho:

Can some one als look at their stern pinball to see is actualy the bootflash rom is displayed as sys version....?

Quoted from MrBally:

Wow, looks like my boot code version does not match the sticker on the ROM.

Same on mine. Sticker has v2.00 but display reads sys. 1.39

fgy_boot.jpgfgy_boot.jpg fgy_disp.jpgfgy_disp.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Hmm strange...
That makes me wonder, how i can tell what i have in the rom, other then the sticker on the rom..
And how i get rid of mine problem of the volume goeing its own way....

I could order an rom from an local store an let them burn 3.1 on it, so i am sure of this rom, and see if the problem goes away... Or even get an rom with version 2.10 an try to see what happend...

Annyone have version 2.1 for me as image, or better as progrsammed chip ?
So i can figure out if verion 2.1 is good for us, and version 3.1 has an bug in it ??

Mailed stern about this but they do not give answers...

@Mr Balley:
What version did you have, when you had the sound issue ? And when did you update the game ?
How long do you have the new update on your machine ?
Could you backup you game mode to USB an mail this to me? Becouse you dont have the problem annymore , it has to be in system version or in game code... I want to try some things.. Too see what caused this problem...

UPDATE:

To see the actual Rom version:
Turn on pinball.
Remove translite from backbox. Flip dip switch 8
Push white reset button.

Systems reboots, and the dmd shows the version number:

Pinball Eprom
pe-2_____________________v3.1
pres "select"to begin

So i DO have 3.1 And i have the problem. even with knocker of.

So MR bally has the problem not any more. With version 2.10 and game v12

This wil make the case more complicated.

- the rom ONLY does its work for updating, and further nothing. So no "system software" is programmed on this.

- The rom has system software AND updating software on it ?
In this case version 2.10 with game software v12 had no problems.

- maybee the country code makes an diffrent?, iam in The netherlands, but have belgium dipswitch settings, because i bought it in Belgium. But Several had had the volume issues, so maybe its is an combine factor,? i find it a verry verry long shot but who knows ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-problems-with-family-gy-and-shrek-sound-volume-goes-its-own-way and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.