Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by boneman91
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GListOverflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Have you tried adjusting the sound/speech balance pot on the speech board? Sounds like maybe they are turned all the way to speech. Sometimes people mistake those for overall volume.

#6 10 years ago

The calls for sound and speech come from a bitwise signal that is on one plug on both the driver board side and sound board side. While I guess it could be possible that one or more pins worth of signal being missing could give you speech but no sound depending on the contents of the signals (I'm not sure which signals correspond to which sound/speech calls), it usually instead results in getting wrong sounds. Plus with new driver/sound boards and the same problem in both games this seems pretty unlikely to me.

Did the sound ever work in these games? Did you get them both from the same source and the sound has never worked since you got them (maybe weird mod or damaged by previous owner)?

Do you get any sounds if you press the test button? This will tell you at least if you have a problem signalling the sounds vs a problem producing the sounds.

#9 10 years ago

On the WMS sound board, the sound test button is in the top left corner next to the dipswitches. The Kohout board looks like it may have a little button up there too but I can't find a clear enough picture to tell for sure.

The PIA Hans is referring to is the 6821 chip (40-pin) on the sound board (the other 40-pin chip is the CPU, probably 6808 or maybe 6802)

If you are getting sounds with the solenoid test that is interesting. That would indicate that at least some of the signaling is working correctly. I'm not sure right off the top of my head what could be going on in that case. I'll think about it and maybe Hans or someone else will have an idea.

I also see you are right down the road, I'm not an expert or anything but if we don't get anywhere in the thread I'd be happy to come take a look sometime.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

I thought I was unique, but turns out there are lots of pinheads in the capital area. Are you a member of any of the pin clubs around here?

Nope... I'm not really into "competitive" pinball and as far as I have experienced a lot of the interest around here is in league nights and tournaments for money. Most times I'd rather just have a beer and shoot the breeze.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GListOverflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-problem-with-gorgar-and-alien-poker?tu=GListOverflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.