3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by WH20_Buzz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

No sound (volume, speaker pins* and audio fuses checked), no hint of any audio noise. Awhile back I started getting a loud audio squawk when the pin was initially powered up, but I thought nothing of it since it was similar to what was common on some WPCs when powered down. Now months later all at once there is no sound at all. I am not sure where to start my diagnosis (audio problems don't seem to be very common on WPC pins and I had never heard that the shock wave to the audio amp I am hearing was so loud it could damage anything), so I am asking for any suggestions to no sound? **My Pinside search skills are not that great, I only saw a thread on replacing capacitors, but my feeling is that sudden failure of a WPC pin with decent audio would not be capacitors (depending on what the capacitors are used for), and is related to the audio board, probably the analog amps.

Thanks!
    *edit to add that I did not check for a broken speaker wire, I initially only checked that connectors 505 and 504 were inserted solid (speaker pins). I read later that the three speakers are connected in series, so a broken wire anywhere between the speakers kills all sound. This is obvious from the fact that only two wires are involved in connectors 505 and 504, but I did not realize to check for broken wires along the chain.
    **BTW, I found this additional info from a Google search that gave me good references to Pinside forum topics that seemed to be better targeted for my needs than Pinside's forum search tool.

#2 2 years ago

Most probably U1 on the Sound Board. Measure your speaker Resistance between the wires coming for J504 & J505 on the Audio Board
    If the +25 VDC an -25 VDC is all good and your speakers are not open or short circuit then U1 is most likely.

Look for signs of burnt components like Tantalum Capacitors going short circuit

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from WH20_Buzz:

Most probably U1 on the Sound Board.

Thanks U1 was it. I looked at the sound board schematics for U1 in order to sort out the circuit; checked the +/- voltages on U1 pins #3 & #5 (good) then checked the sound board for low voltage audio input into U1 by tapping onto U1 leads #1 & #2 and listening for a signal using earbuds. Now I just need to go downtown and get a new LM1875 IC from our local good-old boy electronics shop that I need to frequent more often anyhow.

#4 2 years ago

If you play the Machine with volume over 15 then I would get more than one of them. I measured the Temp on the heat sink once it was 85 degree celcius.
    I'm surprised they don't fail more often

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-out-on-wpc-twilight-zone?hl=wh20_buzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.