Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1550524166413898809216 (resized).jpg
15505241376451908007624 (resized).jpg
1550524111961405497133 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have an Eight Ball Deluxe LE that has lost its speech. It was working fine then it just stopped. I have disconnected and reconnected pins, bought new sound chips, checked fuses, check speaker wires, cleaned (brushed) u8 and j2 and j1.

The board doesnt look that old, but i could be wrong.

Any suggestions?

1550524111961405497133 (resized).jpg1550524111961405497133 (resized).jpg15505241376451908007624 (resized).jpg15505241376451908007624 (resized).jpg1550524166413898809216 (resized).jpg1550524166413898809216 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I should mention that i have also tried the pots on the board and the coin door. There is some static/humming, but no speech.

#9 5 years ago

I will start checking these things out. If need be, where is the best place to get a squawk and talk sound board?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Does the LED on the Squawk and Talk sound board flash 5 times on powerup?
Is that a new TMS5200 speech chip I see installed at U8?
What test equipment have you got? Oscilloscope, logic probe, multi-meter..
What happens when you press the test button on the sound board? Normally it speaks a few phrases for about 10 seconds then ends with a single tone from another sound chip.
Are other sound effects (not speech) working?
What are you getting on TP9 when speech should be playing and when it shouldn't?
Are you measuring -5VDC at TP4 which is for the speech chip?

No. It flashes once...pauses...then 3 more times.

I have no idea. It was on there when i got it.

Of those three, only a multimeter

What happens when you press the test button on the sound board?
Nothing.

Normally it speaks a few phrases for about 10 seconds then ends with a single tone from another sound chip.

All i hear is buzzing

What are you getting on TP9 when speech should be playing and when it shouldn't?
Im not sure what you mean by this. There is nothing coming from t9 (it is a metal loop, right?)

I will check this and get back

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

does the g.i. on the playfield work? these boards need the ac voltage from the g.i.

Quoted from Quench:

Yes, the G.I. AC voltage is used to create the -5VDC supply rail for the speech chip.

All GI works.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

No. It flashes once...pauses...then 3 more times.
I have no idea. It was on there when i got it.
Of those three, only a multimeter
What happens when you press the test button on the sound board?
Nothing.
Normally it speaks a few phrases for about 10 seconds then ends with a single tone from another sound chip.
All i hear is buzzing
Im not sure what you mean by this. There is nothing coming from t9 (it is a metal loop, right?)
I will check this and get back

I dont seem to be getting anything from tp4...and with only 4 lights at the led, it looks like maybe that or the tms5200 could be the issue.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes with 4 LED flashes, it appears to be failing at the TMS5200 test.
Test point TP4 should have negative 5 volts "-5VDC" which is a supply rail for the TMS5200. If you don't measure any voltage on TP4 it might explain why the TMS5200 test is failing.
The -5VDC comes from the voltage regulator "VR2" on the sound board. Check that the VR2 input is getting voltage to start with. With your multi-meter set to DC voltage, black lead hooked up to ground (you can use TP1 on the sound board which is a ground point) and put the red meter lead on the right leg of the electrolytic capacitor "C38" which is directly above the sound board connector. What negative voltage do you read there?

TP1 and C38 measure 4.2

#18 5 years ago

Maybe i am testing tp4 incorrectly. What is the correct way to test it?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

That voltage is too low. I'd be expecting somewhere between -11VDC and -15VDC.
Initial hunch is that the electrolytic capacitors at C37 and C38 are not charging enough and are bad or one of diodes CR7 or CR8 is faulty.

Set your multi-meter to read DC voltage. If your meter is not auto-ranging set it to the 20VDC range.
Hook the black meter lead to TP1 on the sound board which is ground.
Then touch the red meter lead on the sound boards test point TP4.
What measurement do you get? Please also list if the minus sign comes up on the meter display with the voltage measurement.
As @Astill mentioned above, it might be worth replacing the electrolytic capacitors on this sound board.

I eork all day until very late. I will test it again when i get home. Thanks for the help.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

That voltage is too low. I'd be expecting somewhere between -11VDC and -15VDC.
Initial hunch is that the electrolytic capacitors at C37 and C38 are not charging enough and are bad or one of diodes CR7 or CR8 is faulty.

Set your multi-meter to read DC voltage. If your meter is not auto-ranging set it to the 20VDC range.
Hook the black meter lead to TP1 on the sound board which is ground.
Then touch the red meter lead on the sound boards test point TP4.
What measurement do you get? Please also list if the minus sign comes up on the meter display with the voltage measurement.
As @Astill mentioned above, it might be worth replacing the electrolytic capacitors on this sound board.

TP4 is reading -4.9

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

That's better.
When you press the self test button on the sound board, do you hear a tone beep after about 10 seconds? The tone comes from a different (not speech) sound chip on the board.
Can you swap the two 6821 chips with each other at U7 and at U11 (they're the same chips). Reinstall them in the same direction you removed them. One of these chips communicates with the TMS5200 speech chip. See if the LED flash sequence changes.

There is no tone beep after 10 seconds, but switching the chips did yield 5 flashes

#26 5 years ago

Your board looks in good condition but maybe the chip sockets have seen better days.
Can you post some picture of the original ROMs you pulled from this board? They look pretty good to me, but i will post them.

When you press the self test button, do you hear any clicking noises or anything?
I hear nothing

In case the button isn't working press it a few times incase it's internally dirty and then restart the machine.
On Eight Ball Deluxe, 10-15 seconds after pressing the self test button on the sound board and it's performed its sound test, the board will reboot and perform the self test LED flashing again. Are you seeing the LED flashes 10-15 seconds after pressing the self test button?
Yes

BTW, what happens when you put the game in sound test mode by pressing the little button inside the coin door four times?

No sound

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Ok, so it may be pointing more to a problem in the audio mixer/amplifier stages. If you adjust the two small pots on the sound board up and down, do you get any scratchy noises through the speaker?

Yes. I can get some humming and scratching noises, but no speech

1 week later
#31 5 years ago

It looks like the caps are the next step. I will get them done and report back.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

The tms chip has silver legs. Remove and clean the tarnish off and do the caps and pots. I bet it will work.

I already tried it and no dice. I had a local restorer/repairer come out and he said it looks like the caps are the issue, so i sent my board out to get fixed.
Hopefully all should work afterward. I will report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-not-working-on-eight-ball-deluxe-le?tu=Daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.