Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KingHebes
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brw84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

A few months back, the sound on my Gorgar started cutting out. It would usually be fine on startup, but halfway through a game, it would cut out; no hum from the speaker at all. I reflowed and replaced all the sound board connectors; the problem persisted. I sent my sound board to Clive at Coin-Op Cauldron; he gave it the full overhaul, but the problem still persists. Tonight, I reflowed all the connectors on my power board, but the problem is still occurring. I haven't yet replaced the connectors on my power board, simply because I need to order more connectors. However, it seems to me that if the problem was a power board connector, wiggling the connector would cause the sound to come back on, however briefly, but that isn't the case. No matter how I wiggle them around, the sound stays off. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to check next? Also, is it possible for a dying speaker to cause symptoms like this?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Have all the electrolytic capacitors been replaced on the sound board and the power supply?

They have; the sound board caps were professionally replaced last week, and the power board caps were replaced probably within the last five years.

#5 4 years ago

No bad connection at the speaker?

It looked solid, but I might check it again and reflow the solder.

#7 4 years ago

I'm confident the problem isn't with the sound board, because as I mentioned, Clive at Coin-Op Cauldron did a complete overhaul of the board and I got it back last week. It looks like I have the factory speaker, so that may be the issue. I've noticed the heartbeat effect sounds a little scratchy, too.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from nosmr2:

If the speaker is the issue, you got lucky. Keep us posted.

Update: It ain't the speaker -- or at least I'm pretty sure it isn't. I reflowed the solder on the speaker wires tonight, but I still don't have sound. As of last night, I don't even get sound at startup; now there's just no sound at all. Through process of elimination, I'm guessing it has to be an issue with the power board. Can anyone tell me which power board connector(s) supplies juice to the sound board?

#11 4 years ago

I would try another speaker especially since all you did was solder on the speaker terminals. I had a bad speaker wire in my CV from the back of the speaker terminal to the cone.

Thanks, I'll do that; it's the original speaker, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's given out after 40 years. I'd much rather it be a speaker than a board issue!

#13 4 years ago

I'll keep you posted. I haven't had much time to fiddle with it lately, but I'm hoping it's a bad speaker.

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

KingHebes
Just resolved it (or at least it appears that way). Turns out my speaker had gone bad. I popped a new one in and the sound seems to be working fine!

#16 4 years ago

Like you said, I definitely got lucky.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brw84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-keeps-cutting-out-on-gorgar?tu=brw84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.