Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by fatality83
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

My bad girls by gottlieb is starting to act up. The sound works fine and than cuts out after playing a game or two. Before it cuts completely out, the sounds start getting all messed up. Eventually the sound stops all together except for a few sound effects. When the sound cuts out, the red LED on the sound board either stays lit solid and stops blinking or it goes out and stays out. If I reset the game, It works for a little bit but than does the same thing.

I tried reseating the roms and I also repined both connectors on the soundboard with new trifuricon connectors. I tested continuity for all wires that mount to the sound board. I also replaced the ribbon cable. The power supply has solder reflowed and a new potentiometer on it. I also reflowed solder on the header pins in the sound board. None of this seemed to fix the issue. I could get further if I knew how to test the connectors on the soundboard for the proper voltage. I have the system 80 guides but did not find anything regarding those connectors and what voltages I should be seeing. If I can find out what numbers I am supposed to be seeing on what pins, I could atleast see if the problem is before the sound board or if it lies in the sound board itself. The two connections are label APJ1 and APJ2. Anyone know what they are supposed to show? Thanks.

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

When the sound cuts out, the red LED on the sound board either stays lit solid and stops blinking or it goes out and stays out.

The LED on the sound board should be blinking constantly.The driver board triggers the different sounds in the game.Are the connectors on the driver board in good shape?

#3 12 years ago

I will check when I get home. I got enough trifuricon connectors that I can repin all of the driverboard connectors as well.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

fatality83 said:When the sound cuts out, the red LED on the sound board either stays lit solid and stops blinking or it goes out and stays out.
The LED on the sound board should be blinking constantly.The driver board triggers the different sounds in the game.Are the connectors on the driver board in good shape?

Yea I was told the LED going out or staying lit meant that the sound board was losing 5 volts. If I could find which connector is supposed to have the 5 volts I could test and see if the problem was occurring before the soundboard or if there was an issue with the soundboard itself. Also forgot to mention that this game has the necessary ground mods done to the driver board, power supply and cpu.

#5 12 years ago

I see in my manual it says there is an auxillary power supply. I wonder if that is the thing located to the left of the reset board. Maybe there is issues with that?

#6 12 years ago

I should be testing for DC volts at the sound board plugs right?

#7 12 years ago

tried reflowing solder on the auxillary power supply board and I repined the J2 connector on the main power supply. Its still acting up. Not sure what else to do. I have the manual but I cannot find anywhere that it list what each wire is supposed to show power wise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-issues-with-system-80-b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.