(Topic ID: 222223)

Sound issues The Getaway High Speed II

By WBeelen

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Yesterday we bought a Getaway High Speed II pinball. Everything is working beautifully except one thing: the speech sounds.

Startup bong, Music, Extra Ball Sound, Special Sound are working fine. Sound is very loud and clear. But the speeches are not working like: Shift gear, and the police voices during ball lock or multiball. And I probably miss some other sounds.

The machine is not giving any errors on diagnostics. When you run the test menu for sounds the music etc is working, but not the speeches.

Just to be sure I ordered a U18 Sound ROM. It is not in stock so I guess I have to wait.

But I wondered is there something else I could look for? Has anyone seen this before on this pinball machine or others from this era?

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from WBeelen:

Yesterday we bought a Getaway High Speed II pinball. Everything is working beautifully except one thing: the speech sounds.
    Startup bong, Music, Extra Ball Sound, Special Sound are working fine. Sound is very loud and clear. But the speeches are not working like: Shift gear, and the police voices during ball lock or multiball. And I probably miss some other sounds.
    The machine is not giving any errors on diagnostics. When you run the test menu for sounds the music etc is working, but not the speeches.
    Just to be sure I ordered a U18 Sound ROM. It is not in stock so I guess I have to wait.
    But I wondered is there something else I could look for? Has anyone seen this before on this pinball machine or others from this era?

If it is JUST voices and some drum effects, then your CVSD chip on the sound board (or the CVSD circuit before they're mixed together) is dead. A new ROM won't help here, unfortunately. Look at the WPC schematics, and you'll see the CVSD circuit in the bottom right of the page. (U17)

#3 5 years ago

I will look into that thx! I will post the results.

1 month later
    #4 5 years ago

The CVSD chip has been replaced. The sounds that were missing are now in the background if you listen close. Also I forgot to mention that the drum sound is missing from the zztop track. Only the "guitar" is playing.

Any suggestions what I can do next?

#5 5 years ago

After much troubleshooting I got tired of it and ordered a Pinsound digital board, replaced the old board and all is well now

#6 5 years ago

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you. Was out of town on a long holiday.
    Glad you at least got it back up. If you want to get rid of the old board, let me know. Would love to take a look at it and see if I can get it running!

1 year later
    #7 4 years ago
    Quoted from WBeelen:

After much troubleshooting I got tired of it and ordered a Pinsound digital board, replaced the old board and all is well now

I am having this exact same issue... How much was the replacement board and where did you buy it from?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-issues-the-getaway-high-speed-ii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.