(Topic ID: 58145)

Sound Issues

By blackjack33

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am pretty new to pinball repair and I don't know if this issue is pin specific, specific to a manufacturer, or an issue in all pins across manufacturers.

Here is the issue:

I have a DE Maverick. The sound works fine when I start the machine. After about 2 minutes of being on two of the sounds go completely bonkers. If you are familiar with the game it is the laura belle steamship sound (when you are at the boat entrance) and the horse neighing (when the ball is lost). They turn into this awful chirping/cracking noise. The rest of the noises (as far as I can tell) sound fine. If is restart the machine it works for about two minutes and the cycle continues.

What I have done:

1. Checked all the speaker wires
2. Ran speaker test (they are on the correct polarity-right and left sin test quitter than center)
3. Ran burn in test and yes, the sounds are whack in there
4. Pushed and twisted around most of the fuses and pressed on the fuse holders (I read somewhere they were cheap and prone to splitting on DE machines). Maybe I am missing something here?

So my questions are:

1. Is this a common issue?
2. How can I fix it? Is it a speaker issue or software issue? Or hardware issue?
3. If it is software the soundboard has 3 eproms for audio - can I replace these and it fix the problem? If so which one has that audio on it? How can I tell? Or just replace all 3?
4. If it is hardware I sure hope I don't have to replace the soundboard, the thing has a braid of wire hanging down that really looks like it is going to be tough to move around.

It is really a pain and a distraction when I am playing.

Thanks for the help.

#2 10 years ago

I don't know the game, so if it is something specific, hopefully someone on here will know and advise.

To me, it sounds like a connection problem possibly. As it starts to work, the connection becomes intermittent and starts to break up. You could just try removing and wiggling the connections on the board, and if they are removable eproms, remove them, spray a little connection spray on the legs and in the holes and refit.

If it had been all of the sounds, I would have suspected an output transistor on the way out, but that seems unlikely given it's only the one thing (unless this is one of the few sounds that comes out of one of the speakers only).

Best of luck.

7 months later
#3 10 years ago

It was the power driver board. I actually replaced the old one with a gently used one. The chirping still happens but only after it has been on for a long long time. The DMD may be going out and placing a load on the board. I have the extender kit to swap it out with a laptop monitor, but it works for now.

1 week later
#4 10 years ago

Result.

#5 10 years ago

Power driver board that I replaced is still holding strong. Haven't done the extender DMD swap yet. Too many projects right now. If I ever get around to it I'll for sure post some pics.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-issues-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.